Should runners have "NRVs"?

Options
13»

Replies

• nikiswimr
    nikiswimr Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I've been running the last mile of some of my mid-distance runs sub 7 min, just to see if I can. A year ago I was thrilled to see the 7s and the year before that I was thrilled to see the 8s. So, despite getting older, I'm getting faster!
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    My latest NRV was my 7 mile run yesterday.

It doesn't sound like a lot, but it was an AWESOME run because I finally, finally, FINALLY had NO pain from PF in my left heel.

I kept the pace nice and easy and after 7 miles felt like I would have easily run 3 or 4 more.

No pain later in the day, and (this is the real test with PF) - NO pain this morning when I got out of bed.

It has been improving for the last month, but this is really, the first time since March that I could honestly say I've fully healed up.

Now I can look forward to running regularly and getting going on the training for my first full in November!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I love this!!!

I guess mine was last year the first time I ran over 13.1 miles. The plan was to do 14 miles but I ran 15 and right then and there is when I knew I was signing up for my first marathon. And I did so when I got home.
  • EmmaNilsson77
    EmmaNilsson77 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Last fall I ran my first half marathon. My final training run, 12 miles, was completed with several walk breaks and the rest of the day was spent with feet up and lots of pain.
    Last week I ran 12 in my final training for this week's half... running the whole thing, and felt absolutely brilliant the rest of the day.

And @OP - I did move myself, just a month ago. Carried all of my own boxes and my bed down one flight of stairs and into the truck (the bed was the best part), and then all of it back up 3 flights to my new place at the other end, not even sort of winded. Bounded up and down the stairs like a kid. Definitely the best feeling!
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    There's a handful of runners that I work with who are definitely what I would consider a step (or two...or three) above my capability. I normally run mid-week at an 8:00-8:15 pace, these guys routinely hit sub-7:00's. One of them (this guy: http://www.coachcawood.com/) is an absolute running beast.

Two Thursdays ago, I was getting ready for a mid-week run. Cawood and another beast, were also heading out.

"Run with us," they say.

"Uhm...ok...I'll try to keep up, I guess, just don't let me hold you back," I say.

"Don't worry, this is going to be a slow run, I haven't been out in a couple weeks," says the other beast.

5 miles later I kept up for the whole run. 7:22 average pace with splits of 8:09 (stupid having to wait for traffic to cross), 7:22, 7:25, 6:59 and 6:57. Admittedly the last two miles were mostly downhill grade, but still.

And I didn't keel over and die.
  • 99clmsntgr
    Options
    Oh, and I will throw in one other from about a month ago.

Modified Murph, for time:
    1 mile run
    100 Push-ups
    200 air squats
    300 Sit Ups
    1 mile run

Finished in 48:39. Last in the group, but I finished. I struggle with push-ups, big time. I probably just need to start doing them every day. Most of those in the work-out were knee push-ups.

But I finished. :smile:
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options

1 mile run
    100 Push-ups
    200 air squats
    300 Sit Ups
    1 mile run

Finished in 48:39. Last in the group, but I finished. I struggle with push-ups, big time. I probably just need to start doing them every day. Most of those in the work-out were knee push-ups.

That is an insane workout! I'd have trouble with all of it. A couple of friends of mine did the original Murph not long ago. (pull-ups, push-ups, squats). I. Could. Never. (Though never say never, right? Maybe this will be my NRV next year...) Also great job on the 7:22 pace!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Heck yes!

One of the best NRVs I've had lately is being able to climb the super long staircase at work (like 30+ stairs!) without huffing and puffing at the top. Normal stairs are no problem, but these stairs have been killing me for months!

And a weekly NRV is keeping consistent pacing on my long runs, and not having to hobble around the next day :)
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    NRV - jus' today.

At my work in the restroom as I was leaving my co-worker whom I have jus' about Hi stopped me and said "You have lost a lot of weight. Do you have sometime later today where we can sit down and you can explain me how you did it?"

I said "Sure anytime. Thank you so much for giving me the opportunity"

Now that I think I have numerous NRVs that need a lot of acknowledgement b'coz I'm failing to realize they are my little victories that have got me so far.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options

1 mile run
    100 Push-ups
    200 air squats
    300 Sit Ups
    1 mile run

That's crossfit isn't it?
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have one! :) I HATE running in the heat. For the past 2 years I have pretty much given up on running during the summer. Once I have to take walk breaks I just get too discouraged and stop altogether. But this week, I slowed down my pace and pushed through when I wanted to walk and made it through 4 miles! And it wasn't that much slower than a regular easy run. Granted, it was only 84 degrees (because I waited until 8pm to go) and it will get much hotter and much more humid, but I am determined to run straight through this year. I'll just have to mentally check out on the pace thing until I get adjusted :)
  • 99clmsntgr
    Options

1 mile run
    100 Push-ups
    200 air squats
    300 Sit Ups
    1 mile run

That's crossfit isn't it?

Yes, it is. The same group of guys I run with do that silly stuff on our non-running days.