Nursery Themes

Options
Hi everyone,
Trying to get ideas for nursery themes from everyone. :) Boy, girl or neutral open to all ideas! Would even love some unique ideas may not have thought about.
what nursery themes have you ladies used?

The Nesting has begun! :bigsmile:
Thanks,
Teresa

Replies

• lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    We didn't know the gender so I went neutral. The artwork is Richard Scary nursery rhymes (I bought an old picture book at a resale shop) matted on scrapbook paper and framed. Everybody compliments those! I did 2 sets of 2 over the crib--they're large. The walls are a light sage green color, the bedding is grey with elephants (1 set) and grey & white chevron (the other). My absolute favorite project: I picked up a bunch of wall mounted spice racks from Ikea, painted them, and placed several behind the door--in the wasted space--as book shelves.

I was so over animal/jungle theme...which seems to be what most of the gender neutral ones are. By doing a mix-match of stuff I was able to keep an antique bronze lamp & my damask curtains in the room. Also, we have so many old blankets--made by my grandma & great grandma for me 35 yrs ago--and quilts from family & friends that we wanted to be able to use. Not having a heavy theme allows us to incorporate all the stuff that is meaningful to us.

(One random suggestion: if you have the room for it, and you have an extra one, I'd highly suggest putting/leaving a regular (twin size in our case) bed in the room. We use it for getting her dressed, putting lotion on, playing with toys, etc... She's 20 weeks now and is almost too long for the changing table (I'm glad we took a hand-me-down!) so soon she'll be getting changed on the bed.)
  • heatherz104
    heatherz104 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    For my first son, I did a john deere tractors/farm animal theme. Did yellow walls and got john deere bedding set for the crib. Plus some cute John deere checkered valances for the windows and we were set. I think I would like to do a theme based on neutral colors for future nursery, like maybe light yellow and sage with some chocolate or other earth tones thrown in. I probably won't decorate my extra bedroom as a nursery for this baby since I'm hoping to sell the house in the somewhat near future. When I have the baby in August he will probably start out sleeping in his pack and play in our room and then later I'll just get a second crib and he can share his brothers room because we only have 3 bedrooms and I have nowhere else to put the office stuff that's in the third (and smallest) bedroom.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Mine is a jungle theme but not your traditional jungle stuff. I have crocodiles, giraffes, toucans and a variety of jungle plants. It's hard to explain but it is pretty cool. I am having a boy.
  • nicolemviolette
    nicolemviolette Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm not having a nursery because of how my house is built. (All of the bedrooms are downstairs and the whole upstairs is a gym/ bathroom and HUGE bedroom,) so my baby will be staying in my bedroom with me since it's definitely big enough. He does have a theme though. I'm going with animals like monkeys, bears, frogs and turtles. :) I think the little animals are sooo freakin cute!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Mine both stayed in our room for 6 months and 10 months. They share a room now.

When it was just my son, we had the room painted blue and just got a border thing with cute teddies and things on it. We were planning to sell our flat so didn't want to do too much.

Now we're still here, but will be moving at the end of the year! We did have some Very Hungry Caterpillar stickers on the wall, and now it's got more of a nautical theme, lots of boats, lighthouses, fish etc. The blind is also nautical themed. My son has a nautical duvet set, although my daughter's is Peppa Pig!

I like the Gruffalo things too. I'm not sure if that's popular in the US.
  • Destanie_Robyn
    Destanie_Robyn Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Here is an idea board I made for ours, We're having a girl so I want the room to be painted light grey then accent with pink and white. I think owls, elephants and giraffes would be cute too!

30iv0q8.jpg
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    We don't know what we're having so we went relatively neutral.
    It's not finished yet but here are some things we've picked out.
    I made the deer head out of paper mache and the pillow case was just an IKEA cushion case I stencilled, it will be going on the sofa bed that's going in the nursey (sofa bed is grey)
    The crib is the same colour as the dresser (it's out of stock so we won't have it until May 11th)

IMG_3062_zps4eb336fa.jpg
    IMG_2983_zps186fb469.jpg
    IMG_2940_zps41dcc78e.jpg
    IMG_3060_zps24211bee.jpg
  • jessicas082409
    jessicas082409 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Still in the early idea stages but we both are liking the idea of a Nautical theme for either boy or girl. Lot's of whale's, captain wheels, old sail boat pictures etc
  • sunflower92630
    sunflower92630 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    these are all really cute ideas! I actually decided on baby african animals as the theme since I am from South Africa but live in the US wanted something to represent my background. I'm actually drawing up some cute ideas on mini canvas and having a wine/apple cider painting party at my house for a "girls nite" since this kid will have soooo many "Aunties" I thought it would be cool fro them to each paint one of the pictures as a memento and hang in the nursery.
    Don't know the sex yet but if its a boy the colors are gonna be forest green and brown and if a girl its gonna be grey and coral.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    these are all really cute ideas! I actually decided on baby african animals as the theme since I am from South Africa but live in the US wanted something to represent my background. I'm actually drawing up some cute ideas on mini canvas and having a wine/apple cider painting party at my house for a "girls nite" since this kid will have soooo many "Aunties" I thought it would be cool fro them to each paint one of the pictures as a memento and hang in the nursery.
    Don't know the sex yet but if its a boy the colors are gonna be forest green and brown and if a girl its gonna be grey and coral.

That is awesome! We don't do baby showers in my circle but a girls night of doing something for the baby is right up our alley! Have a blast!
  • sunflower92630
    sunflower92630 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Yeah I need a break from going out but still wanted to hang out with my girls for a "girl nite" and they all keep asking me how they can help so thought this would be fun and they can feel like they are contributing without getting in my way too much lol
  • Miska_
    Miska_ Posts: 84
    Options
    Ours is basic-

Star Wars theme....cos we're both dorks.
  • vlmcwilliams
    vlmcwilliams Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Miska_: best theme ever!! We would do a LOTR or Labyrinth theme if we were bothering with a theme at all but are renting and can't be bothered doing heaps of decor stuff. We've got some planet and dinosaurs wall decals (don't know gender but dinosaurs!!) and that's about it. The rest of our stuff is random
  • claedwar
    claedwar Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    We are having a girl but still keeping the "main" aspects of the nursery gender-neutral for future babies. This is our first. My mom is an artist, so she is painting a white silhouette of a huge tree on a wall with birds sitting in the branches, and the background wall color will just be light grey. Birds/sky/trees is kind of the theme--works for boy or girl, then for this little one we will have lilac ascents (crib sheets, etc.) and big family pictures on the walls, but nothing too extreme.
  • futurestarz
    futurestarz Posts: 510
    Options
    We are doing something very similar for our nursery too! Light grey walls, with one darker grey wall, with a white tree with little blue and yellow birds on the branches. Trying to keep it very gender neutral.