Lifting Routine - time to turn it up a notch - advice

Options
kapoorpk
kapoorpk Posts: 244 Member
Been following the push, pull, kick /abs routine focused on hyper trophy doing 3 sets x 10-12 reps per exercise for the most part . Have seen significant gains in muscle/ strength as well. Want to turn it up a notch and increase muscle mass. Read about 5x5s and pyramid approaches that struck my interest. Which of these or any others you use are more effective approaches to maximize mass gain.

I understand the nutritional components of the equation. So looking to get opinions on exercise tactics and not so much of a discussion on the need for bulking or eating on a surplus.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• MapleFlavouredMaiden
    MapleFlavouredMaiden Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    5/3/1 BBB is good. Also Bret Contreras' new program for building strength.
  • scooterjay_wwis
    scooterjay_wwis Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I train using the StrongLifts 5x5 program. seems to work very well for me, and it does what it says it will do, for me.
  • kapoorpk
    Options
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    following to read replies, b/c I thought 5x5 was more for strength than mass, although the added strength can bridge you to a new level for building mass, but I'm thinking that eventually you'd have to get back to 4x8 or 3x10-12 type. interestd to see others replies.
  • watto1980
    watto1980 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You might want to check out Jason Blaha's ICF 5x5

That's what I am about to start, after having done a 8-12 rep lifting program (all pro's beginner routine) for a fair while.

It looks pretty good and I have heard good things from people who have done it. It is basically stronglifts 5x5 with accessories, so you should get some good strength and size.
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    you can also look into Jonnie Canditos 6 week Strength/Hypertrophy program. www.canditotraininghq.com im on my 3rd 6 week cycle and i love it. its free, its simple, and great results. highly recommended.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Working in the 3-5 rep range or the 8-12 will produce similar hypertrophy.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How long have you been lifting for? Has your routine been iso work/compound lifts or a combination of them?
  • kapoorpk
    Options
    It's been a hybrid approach including the big 4 compound exercises and a few others on a push, pull , legs split
  • kapoorpk
    Options
    Also been lifting heavy for about 5 mos now
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    In for info.