Binge Eating at Work

Options
Hi all,

I've been having a lot of trouble controlling my urge to binge lately because of a series of really stressful things (I'm planning my November wedding, moving to a new city where I don't know anyone in two weeks, and we are adopting a new dog). My bingeing is never EASY to manage but I have better strategies for dealing with it when I'm at home, because at home I am free to do some color therapy, call a friend, take the dogs out for a walk, etc. To add to the pile of things I'm dealing with, work has been absolutely crazy lately. I feel that I don't have the support I need from my manager and I'm unclear what my priorities are; even if I knew what they were, I would still have way too much on my plate.

I realize that the best thing to do is probably to address these issues head on and talk to my manager about my feelings, which I plan to do tomorrow. However I've noticed that when things are tough at work it's hard for me not to eat the free snacks my office stocks in the kitchen. Eating sugar and carbs is really soothing for me and it doesn't take time away from my work - I can furiously type while I munch on cookies and pretzels.

Anyone have any good coping strategies that work in an office environment?

Thanks!

Replies

• homemadehippy
    homemadehippy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your wedding!

I removed all the snacks from my office and leave my money at home. I walk on my lunch which helps. I also doodle a lot instead of eating. Check out "zentangles" and "zendoodles" on Pinterest (or google them). Anyone can do it. There are Youtube videos too. Now, when I have a few free minutes, instead of going for the fridge, I work on my doodle!

Hippy
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I've brought different snacks and I try to be low on cash (emergencies and must gets) as well as not to bring my credit card since buying stuff comes so easily (we have mcdonalds delivered to our desks, talk about lazy).

So either I eat the stuff I bring or I don't eat anything ( and that is not an option).
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Oh, the 'no money' thing is very good advice. I've never even thought of that. We have a candy box at work but we need to pay for it, so I wouldn't be able to fall prey to it. And driving to Burger King during my break wouldn't be an option, either. :)

So far what I've tried and which worked 'on good days' was bringing healthy snacks like radishes, sliced cucumber, grapes, etc. You know, stuff that you can munch on to keep your mouth busy.
  • melodylou
    melodylou Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi Winley. Your question is an interesting one because the snacks are free and supplied by the office. I have a similar situation in that co-workers love to bring in various treats for whatever occasion might be happening. I follow hellokathy's strategy by bringing in snacks of my own that fit my plan. I also think about something a friend told me, "When you give into temptation today, you will pay for it tomorrow." If I give into temptation, then I try to drink even more water, and get some extra exercise in that day.

Another thing I do sometimes when there are unhealthy snacks around, which probably sounds terrible but feels very empowering to me, is i take some and take them back to my desk, then discreetly throw them away. It is just as well off to have them in the trash as in my body.
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    All the unhealthy eating I do is at work. And my binges, too, usually occur at work.

I work in a restaurant. As a kitchen supervisor, I'm entitled to a free meal each day. Of course we have healthier options that I can choose from (salads, oven baked chicken, etc), the majority of the food I am surrounded by each day is unhealthy (fries, desserts, rich sauces, etc). Despite trying to eat right, it's really tough some days. Especially when I'm tired and stressed out.

I try to bring healthy snacks as well as plan what I'm going to have as a meal and what time I'm going to take a break to do so. On crazy busy days, however, I am sometimes unable to take a break, then I'm famished and highly susceptible to grabbing whatever is most convenient and quick.

I know part of the solution is MAKING the time to eat a decent meal before I get to the point where I'm starving as well as continuing to ensure I have a stash of healthy snacks available whenever I need one. If anyone has other ideas or strategies, I'd be happy to hear them!
  • gutteda
    gutteda Posts: 2
    Options
    I love the zen doodling idea! I have a hard time not eating out of boredom and stress at work. It's worse because I am fully aware that I am not actually hungry, but I crave something... I'm a doodler at heart so I'm so glad to find this. This site is a great place to start if anyone else wants to learn some zen tangle doodling basics and patterns http://www.milliande.com/Zendoodle-Sampler-Zentangle-Pattern-Styles-Tutorial.html Thanks!