Atkins induction

Options
Hi everyone.so this is my second first post today, the general forum don't seem to like anything low carb! I'm on day one of induction just hoping to hear from anyone that's on induction , any low carb tips? I am currently 220 pounds I would like to reach 180

Replies

• crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I do a LCHF diet and aim to keep my carb intake at under 25g net per day. Not sure I remember what the carb goal of induction is, but I do believe it's low, like my goal. You'll find plenty of kindred spirits in all the low carb groups and boards. The general boards aren't very low carb friendly, but I wouldn't hold that against them. There are a lot of people who seem to think that a low carb diet is akin to magic and just ignore everything outside of that.

If you decide to go drinking, have a glass of water between every drink. The hangovers (and the buzz, quite frankly) can be much more intense and you don't want to be caught off guard.

If you're starting out and begin feeling sick, most things can be fixed with water and salty chicken broth. Hot water and a chicken buillion cube should fix you right up. Sugar free Powerade has helped me in a pinch, as well. Electrolyte issues are quite uncomfortable but not unheard of.

If you're especially hungry for the first bit, that's fine. It's normal. Just eat until you're no longer hungry and focus on higher fat foods. Your body is transitioning from burning carbs for fuel to burning fat for fuel. It may mean you go over your calories for a week, but that all balances out when your hunger subsides.

The low carb boards are quite friendly and have many knowledgeable people. Make good use!
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I've been doing low carb since January 31st. Started out at 235 and currently at 190. I did the induction of 20 g carbs for the first month. Now I try to stay under 75 a day. I found that I cannot eat a lot of cheese or I don't tend to lose. I am also vegetarian so I don't eat meat, fish or poultry. I do eat eggs.
  • merflan
    merflan Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm in my 2nd week. So far, its great.
  • Jesstatted1990
    Options
    Great :)! Day 2 for me I'm finding it ok I'm craving biscuts tho , sega coffee with cream has helped a bit, not missing bread pasta ect it is only day 2 so I'll see how things go, is anyone using keto sticks? I bought some today it went light purple didn't realise it would be so quick?! I still have a lot to learn :)
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Read everything and absorb all the info these lovely people have to give. Ketostix are a binary measure, just in case you didn't know. A darker reading does not indicate a higher degree of ketosis. The sticks only measure excess ketones in the urine. A light reading can indicate that your body is efficient with the ketones or that can also result in a false negative. A darker reading can mean your body is producing more than it needs or that your urine is concentrated and you should drink more water.

If you crave biscuits, see if a flax muffin would fit your needs. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/453964-low-carb-muffin-in-a-minute Flax is 100% fiber, which means it's 0 net carbs.
  • FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Also, ketostix have a time lag. They show what was, not what is. If you want realtime monitoring of ketones, use a blood meter or breath gadget.

Darker purple on ketostix may also mean you need to drink more water ;)
  • Skoochnski1974
    Options
    Whew!! I'm glad you mentioned that about the keto strips because I made a "milkshake" with some diet, caffeine free orange soda and whipped cream. It tasted like one of those orange Creamsicles. It was *SO* good and I was sure that it was ok on induction and when I got a negative reading on my strips I was pretty disheartened.
  • josephine_x
    josephine_x Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've just started atkins induction too, on day 6 but seem to be going up in weight each day?!! TOM so would that have anything to do with it? Grateful for any advice!
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've just started atkins induction too, on day 6 but seem to be going up in weight each day?!! TOM so would that have anything to do with it? Grateful for any advice!

TOM would most likely be the culprit. Also, give it some more time, those high first week losses don't happen for everyone. When I started Atkins, I didn't see any loss until week two, and it was only about 5 pounds at that point.
  • josephine_x
    josephine_x Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks, hoping that's what it is, maybe I'll have one of those whooshes that people talk about!
  • loxottica
    loxottica Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    HI!
    I'm so happy I found this group!
    I'm also on first week of induction and I gained a pound and I'm so confused. Everywhere I read it seems people drop alot of weight first couple of weeks and I'm going in the wrong direction.
  • SnowFlinga
    SnowFlinga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    HI!
    I'm so happy I found this group!
    I'm also on first week of induction and I gained a pound and I'm so confused. Everywhere I read it seems people drop alot of weight first couple of weeks and I'm going in the wrong direction.
    Which version of the Atkins book have you read? Are you following the plan accurately? I would also be very surprised to see weight gain during the first week of induction.
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    very surprised to see gain during induction! If you become ketotic the decreased insulin and glycogen dpletion should lead to fluid loses.... Check that you do have ketones. You may have hidden carbohydrates you are eating
  • 4CaliCo
    4CaliCo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey Jess... so you've been on for almost a month. How is your progress? Did you live through induction? I'm starting today. Our goals are very similar. Hope it's going well for you. Here goes...
  • leighn62
    leighn62 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Low Carb is amazing, but calories count. If you're not losing any weight after a week, or 2, the culprit might be a little too much of all the lovely low carb options. Count your calories for a week and see if it makes a difference.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I'm in Induction as well. Howdy!
  • Eeyore255
    Eeyore255 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I started induction today!