Day One post-binge - how I'm getting back on track

Options
escapepod
escapepod Posts: 68 Member
I have sugar issues. I know this about myself, and I know that not eating sugary foods is the key for me to stopping binge eating. I've been mostly binge-free since January, with a could of minor slips. But occasionally, willfully ignoring everything I know about myself, I eat sugar anyway. When I do that, if I don't get myself back on track really fast, I can end up back in a pattern of binge eating that gets progressively worse. I've reached that point, and it's time to gather my strategies, put them all into action, detox from sugar and get back to a place of food sanity.
One of the things I notice is that when I've been binging on sugar, I may start the day with the best of intentions, or so I tell myself, but I can hear that sneaky little corner of my brain thinking about food, trying to justify one more sweet thing, as if it's essential that I get in ALL the "bad" foods before I get back on track. Um ... yeah... there's no end to that. There will ALWAYS be one more thing to eat before I stop with the sugar. So, though I made myself literally miserable stuffing myself with crap food yesterday, and the scale smacked me up the side of the head with a good dose of accountability this morning, as I headed out the door to work, the little thoughts of pastries and cake were already flitting through my head. And that is NO way to get myself back on track. So, here's what I'm doing today to support myself and quiet the food thoughts:
(1) I'm posting here, for some accountability.
(2) I'm going to take a little time to jot down some notes to myself about why I want to get back off of sugar. Because there really are a bunch of reasons, and if I'm in my right mind, they're good reasons, and they outweigh the momentary rush of some sugary thing. Only if I've been eating sugar, I'm not in my right mind. So, I'm going to make some notes, and really THINK about what it is that I want, and why I've decided life is better without sugar.
(3) I'm taking my amino acid supplements, more than usual today.
(4) I'm drinking plenty of water, and herbal tea.
(5) I'm eating more protein than usual, not worrying about calories, focusing on foods I enjoy, with an emphasis on protein and vegetables. But I am NOT punishing myself with "good-for-me-even-though-I-don't-like-it" food , or by withholding food.
(6) I'm finding ways to be kind to myself today. I wore an outfit I feel good in, I'm going to get out for a brief walk at lunch, I'm going to remember to take deep, relaxing breaths regularly throughout the day.

Life without binging feels so much better. What will you do today to get yourself there?

Replies

• ct320
    ct320 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hey :)

today im trying to get back on track by:
    - not beating myself up
    -splitting my total loss into mini goals so it seems more easily acheivable
    -locked my diary so I will log everything without feeling embarrased (in the hope if I overeat I can see how much and not blow it completely)
    -I have a friend I can message to talk to when I need to.
    -telling myself I've beat this cycle before I WILL do it again.

now its just a case of putting it into play lol
  • lua_
    lua_ Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Great reasons, everyone!

Day one post-binge: how I'm getting back on track

- Remembering that I'm not greedy or useless, I'm mentally ill (bulimia/depression)
    - Realising that weight does not define my worth, but binge-eating will be detrimental to my physical and mental health
    - Realising that weight loss is not a punishment, it's a gift
    - Eating 'unsafe' food does not equal failure and it is not an invitation to binge
    - Stop spending so much money on food
    - I regret it every single time, despite how I always tell myself I won't
  • escapepod
    escapepod Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I find it helps me to be kinder to myself if I remember that I binge as a coping mechanism. Granted, its not a GOOD coping mechanism, but its one I'm in the habit of. So, while I may not always succeed at finding a better way to relieve stress, or anxiety, or boredom, or whatever else is bothering me, I'm not doing it because I'm weak, or stupid.
    Guilt and shame cannot help me build a better life, but understanding myself, and being willing to dig deep to find out what's really upsetting me, and what I can do to feel better besides overeating - that's what I'm striving for. But sometimes I dont want to do the work. Sigh...
  • Lizzie27lou
    Options
    I am at the end of my line with the binge eating. I am disgusted with myself every time and it is ruining my life. I do not want to live any more if this is my life. Please if you have any techniques that work for you when you get those urges it would be much appreciated.
  • PhoenixGirl52
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. I find your post inspiring. I just joined MyFitnessPal today and this group. I have been on a terrible cycle and scared myself so much that I ran to the Internet for some help. This is where I landed. I feel so grateful to be among those that understand all the challenges around the binging.

I am feeling so down on myself. My weight is up, my health is down and I feel totally out of control. I ate almost 2,000 calories above a normal daily allowance of calories just in one sitting...then chased it with a laxative out of desperation. Now I hope I'm not gearing up for giving myself bathroom emergencies at work tomorrow. I feel like I have tried everything. I lost 30 lbs and now have gained it all back...playing with the sugar seems to be the death sentence for me as well.

If anyone would like to recommend a group where there are some fun daily food, exercise challenges...Please let me know. Focusing on my binge episodes can't be good and I should probably be redirecting myself to an additional fun, cool group for getting me out of this rut. I'd love to hear from anyone about this, really. Thanks so much and I look forward to a new beginning.
  • PhoenixGirl52
    Options
    I'm right there with you sister. I just joined this site today. You can read my post. I hope we can hold out for some good word from someone whose moved past where we are today. Meanwhile, I am right along side you.
  • lucyuk85
    lucyuk85 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post, you too are the reason I signed up.
    I have suffered with the binge eating for ten years now, with my weight yo-yoing constantly and trying every type of recovery to 'fix myself' and just be 'normal'. I love your post and your response escapepod reminding us that we obviously binge eat for a reason - a coping mechanism so we must be kinder to ourselves if we do succumb to food or sugar because its our way of responding to life. I had a brilliant conversation with a woman I met yesterday who uttered these same words she told me - you are too hard on yourself, when you do binge your reaction to it means you are even more likely to push yourself to the food again - guilt and shame and self hatred because you cant believe you've managed to fail again when you promised yourself that same morning you weren't going to do it. she said tell yourself 'so what - ive binged again! will I do it again? - yes probably but maybe next time I wont eat as much, or it wont last as long or ill eat the food more mindfully.' These words pushed me to find other people who struggle and try and see if the message resounded in any other sufferers. This post just reminded me of what she said, so thank you - Im going to try and be kinder to myself and take smaller steps to try and binge eat less because im not a robot and I will never be able to go from 10 years of bingeing to never doing it again - it would be impossible.

Day one - post binge:
    - Im going to relax more, not beat myself up for things that I have done in the past
    - Im going to do the best I can do in relation to diet - eat healthy foods I love and try to refrain from foods that trigger a binge
    - Im going to do more of things I love doing besides eating and not be defined by eating habits Im not just a binge eater