postpatrum exercise

Options
kerryradz
kerryradz Posts: 81 Member
Hi just wondered when everyone started exercising again after giving birth?

Replies

• saintpaulJess
    saintpaulJess Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    As I'm sure you know, you have to listen to your body and each person and pregnancy is different. But this was my experience last time around.

12 days after birth - incline walking on a treadmill
    4 weeks after birth - running
    6 weeks after birth - weightlifting (I waited for the "all clear" from my doctor before getting back into weight lifting)
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I had to have a (scheduled) C-section and was back at it pretty quickly (as in, C-section Wed...home Fri....shoveling a foot of snow Sunday). For me, it's more of a time/energy thing than physical ability.

I was walking for fitness almost immediately, doing kettlebells & using my spin bike within a couple weeks.

When she was a week old and I went to have my staples removed, my doctor told me I was released to do what I wanted to do, just to listen to my body and stop if it felt like I was doing too much. By no means was I at pre-pregnancy intensity, but I was at active again, which felt great!
  • kerryradz
    kerryradz Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks for you replies. I feel up to doing exercise (when I get time that is) but have been told that I should wait 4 weeks. Will definitely start light with walks and work it up :)
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    each kiddo has been different. first baby was easily 8 weeks, second I was running again within weeks, third baby I was lifting and running again around 5 weeks. Just listen to your body.