New to lifestyle

Options
Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is leslie and I'm 30 years old. I am currently 5'4 (unlikely to change) and 180 (WILL CHANGE). 2 years ago I lost around 50 lbs but have slowly started gaining back. Why? Because I used adipex and shots not the healthiest choice. So, now I am almost where I started and looking around my two kids are mimicking my unhealthy habits. That makes me the most sad. Hopefully, as a family we can get it together and learn better habits. McDonald's, cheezits, chips, brownies, fairwell but not in this house...we went threw the cabinets this morning. What better way to celebrate Mother's day than to change the life mom gave me.

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Love to hear that you cleaned out the cabinets instead of waiting to start while "finishing everything off". I found it very therapeutic to throw away the foods that I had finally come to realize were killing me, and bringing my child along for the ride.

Sounds like you have a great attitude and are very committed to change! Awesome. Keep that commitment even through the hard times and you will be amazed at the results.
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    Happy Mothers Day Ladies!!

Leslie, Welcome. It's great to hear that this way of eating is a family affair! My kids are adults and choose to eat differently, but they are seeing results in me, so I hope they eventually come around.
  • littlecar1
    littlecar1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi

It's been my first day too. I cleared out my fridge this morning (although there wasn't a lot in there!). I think I have done ok today, I have had about 77g of carbs, 82g fat and 69g protein, although if anyone would like to tell me this is wrong then please feel free, as I'm still getting to grips with what I should be eating. I've been reading the Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson.

I'm doing this for health reasons as well as weightloss as I am now 45 and my joints are starting to ache, I often feel bloated with a 'bubbly' tummy and I have absolutely no energy.

Good luck on your journey Leslie.

Pip
  • lesliemaxwell79
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement. I took the kids to the store with me and got them to help choose food. We went to my moms this afternoon they offered my son some chips and he said no Nana do you have some oranges. :)
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Welcome to you both, it sounds like you are both committed which is what I like to hear. Feel free to add me to you friends list, the issues you describe should resolve with the right nutritional changes and Mark Sisson is really a smart guy. He has a podcast which is great to listen to as well.
  • Kaitlyn811
    Kaitlyn811 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Welcome Leslie! I love that you are not hesitating to bring your kids along on this ride! You will all be better for it :) There are a ton of resources on the web for troubleshooting paleo with kiddos. Just go easy on yourself (and them!). It will be an adjustment and it doesn't have to all happen at once, nor does it need to be perfect. Have fun with it!
  • molly2977
    molly2977 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm new as well, so happy to know I'm not the only one just getting started.

I'm 37 and need to lose about 50 pound. I lost 50 pounds 7 years ago with Weight Watcher and have gained most of it back. but when I go back, I seem to lose/gain the same 5 pounds. I've tried several other things (including Weight Watchers again), but nothing seems to happen. I think my aging body needs a change!

I started a blog about my experience over the next month. Feel free to read along - I love the support from these boards.
  • lesliemaxwell79
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Yes I've decided the kids won't be as strict as I am. I don't feel that eliminating certain food groups ie dairy is a good idea for young kids. It's been very hard so far the cravings are awful lol. I just keep telling myself it's your body going thru sugar withdrawal lol.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Yes I've decided the kids won't be as strict as I am. I don't feel that eliminating certain food groups ie dairy is a good idea for young kids. It's been very hard so far the cravings are awful lol. I just keep telling myself it's your body going thru sugar withdrawal lol.

The calcium/dairy thing is a myth; absorbing calcium from dairy is very minimal. When one doesn't eat foods that cause inflammation etc, minerals are more easily absorbed/less depleted and one doesn't need loads and loads of calcium. Only raw, unprocessed dairy is truly beneficial and if you can get that (get to know your local farmers) by all means give it to your children. Goat's milk, even better. Read the ingredients on every dairy product before you buy; there's very strange things in dairy these days - even more so in the US than Canada. Growth hormone is used in the US dairy industry and is not listed under ingredients. I'd be very concerned about the potential harm from growth hormone to children who consume commercial dairy (there is a very dramatic increase in early onset puberty in recent years- growth hormone is likely a factor imo).

Throw away the idea of "essential Food Groups". It's a construct of society/government, heavily dictated by food manufacturers. We only need a variety of micronutrients, fat, protein, and carbs from vegetables and, less frequently, fruit. If we are convinced, as I am, that a diet based on that of my ancestors is healthiest for me, why wouldn't it be for my child? Why would processed food be heathy for her when it's not for me? Additionally, my child is half Inuit and while Inuit historically breastfed to about age 5 there was no dairy products until recently, and yet all the kids have rotten teeth and poor bone development ONLY since they started eating the modern diet based on processed foods. People here consume loads of commercial dairy and there is NO benefit. I'm not saying the dairy is the main problem (sugar/grain) but it's adding to the problem (more sugar, and causes inflammation and intestinal problems) and not helping at all.

Yes, the cravings can be awful at first. For now, eat as much fat and protein to feel satiated, minimize sugar/starch, and don't worry about the calories. That will help you transition.

PS, I do allow my child to have a little commercial dairy here and there but I don't allow it because I think it's "healthy" just a "sometimes" food. Canada doesn't use growth hormone, but other than that, most of the dairy is junk.
  • rucaenel
    rucaenel Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new too... I have had some luck with Atkins type low carb in 2004; however, I got off track and am starting again. Tried to still have carbs but I am just not making much progress. I have started looking into Paleo/Ketosis type meals and would like to swap support and ideas if anyone wants to play! Julie :D
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the new peeps!! This is the best board to be on - stay out of the general boards if you want encouragement or advice on Paleo/Primal. I've only been following this diet for about 9 months and have had great results. No more "tummy troubles" and great blood work, lost a few pounds, more energy, rarely feel hungry and no more cravings!!

Just go easy on yourself. It's not about being perfect, it's about doing what you can to feel better and be healthier. Enjoy the ride, try new foods, new recipes. I like the Fastpaleo app for recipes. Also paleogrubs and nomnompaleo are good online sources. As easy as it is to just eat real food, I think I would've been too bored with just plain meat and veggies everday - I like to cook and that has really helped me out.

Good luck!!
  • Elif84
    Elif84 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm new to the life style too. I've been doing some research on this and felt it would help me with some medical issues. I'm trying to ease myself into it. I try not to keep any "junk" in the house (meaning cookies, chips, candy, etc.). I would like to eliminate processed foods in my diet and trying to do it slowly (for example I use a lot of artificial sweetner so I eliminated that from my drinks, next is coffee creamer!) I am hoping to feel more "alive" since I feel lethargic and bloated all the time. I'm looking forward to learning more about this new life style :-)