Smoothies/Juicing

Options
newlife6745
newlife6745 Posts: 129 Member
Does anyone juice or use smoothies as meal replacements or snack? I recently started using the Nutribullet after my dad and a friend of mine talked so much about it. It took me a few days to start but one thing I can say for sure is I've gotten really creative with making fruit and veggie smoothies. The best thing is that I feel really full when I have one and it's hours before I'm ready for my next meal.

I don't care so much for berries even though I know the nutritional value - I think there's too much acid and makes my mouth go nuts. So I'm trying to be creative and now loving it.

Here's one of my faves: 1/2 avocado, 1 banana, 1/2 c spinach, 1/4 c coconut milk. I was shocked. Loving it because I feel so full and not inclined to eat as much. Now I'm online looking for other recipes.

Replies

• ArtsyAlexis
    ArtsyAlexis Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    How much was your juicer? I've been considering juicing but I've seen people not know how to use it properly and end up doing some pseudo-liquid diet thing. It sounds like you're on the right track, though! I would love to juice for breakfast. I have barely any appetite in the morning and find it unappetizing to scarf down even the lightest of foods.
  • naj609
    naj609 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Here's one of my faves: 1/2 avocado, 1 banana, 1/2 c spinach, 1/4 c coconut milk. I was shocked. Loving it because I feel so full and not inclined to eat as much. Now I'm online looking for other recipes.

Total TMI, does it make you gassy? I've switched to GNC Lean Shake for breakfast, as a few months ago juicing gave me the worst tummy problems.
  • anastasia1807
    anastasia1807 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I own a Nutribullet and I love it except for the fact that I tend to overeat my calories. Smoothies are great but they don't work for me as a meal replacement. They just do not fill me up long-term. I mix in some great stuff (including chia seeds, hemp seeds, lucuma powder, maca powder, nuts, etc.). But again, calories add up and the feeling of fullness does not last. So I switched to eating my calories vs. drinking.
    Once I reach my goal, smoothies will be a great way for me to continue to consume to get more fruits and veggies.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    I enjoy smoothies periodically (had one today), but I prefer to chew my calories. It seems I'm not as satisfied with just a smoothie.
  • hamo1987
    hamo1987 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I love juice love making it and they always turn out great but they never hit the spot the way food in full form does lol
  • jolene_CO
    jolene_CO Posts: 48
    Options
    I love my Magic Bullet smoothie maker! Smoothies can be a bit high in calories, but it makes getting protein easy for me, as I use protein powder. After a long, hard run, smoothies are often the only thing I can keep down.

My favorite post-run smoothie: 1/2 banana, 1T peanut butter, 1/2c water, 1 scoop chocolate protein powder, 1c spinach, and 4 ice cubes.
  • titiantop
    titiantop Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a Breville juicer, and used it daily a year ago for about 3 months. I just dusted it off today, and whizzed up a blend of celery, carrot, cuke, apple, and lemon, and stirred in chia seed. I feel virtuous...but hungry.

I went waaay overboard last year on juicing fruits--so delicious, but a major sugar shock to my system.

Two things that give me pause about juicing--the clean up, and the tons of leftover pulp. I had chickens last year and they loved the pulp, but my birdy girls were all slaughtered by a juvenile hawk, so I'm left pulpfull...and eggless...
  • aidenandabelsmommy
    aidenandabelsmommy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started a Liquid diet 2 days ago. my goal is to keep it up for 10 days. all drink and eat are smoothies, ORGANIC GREEN TEA (a lot of the cheaper non-organic brands tend to have high levels of fluoride:huh: ) lemon detox water and 1 protein shake before and after working out . i feel great tho. but with my smoothies i pre-made them and put them in zip lock bags and froze them so when i get hungry they're already made but my favorite is 1/2 cup pineapple, 1/3 cup carrots, 1/2 cup of spinach with water, ice and a tablespoon of flaxseed. oh and i use all organic :drinker:
  • newlife6745
    newlife6745 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm liking the NB more that the juicer. With NB you get all of the pulp, etc. I use less liquid which makes it thicker so I find that I'm fuller longer.
  • Ziki252
    Ziki252 Posts: 6
    Options
    I LOVE smoothies. I am doing a low carb, low calorie, diet right now. I use, Chia seeds (found them on Amazon) 2 TBS, 2 TBS Splenda, 5 Strawberries, a handful of Kale, 1/3rd cup of Nonfat Plain Yogurt, a splash of Skim Milk, and three handfuls of ice, in my smoothie blender, BAM! Awesome smoothie. I ran out of Kale yesterday, so today, it was no Kale and 9 Strawberries. VERY good, and pretty good for me.
  • praevalere
    praevalere Posts: 24
    Options
    We have a Nutribullet in the house. I used it for a solid month, 2-3 times a day (before I injured my knee). My only complaint with it is the motor burned/shorted out. I took it back to Target and they gave me a replacement, no questions asked. My basic smoothie was to fill it halfway with spinach, two bananas, a handful of nuts, scoop of protein powder, and then either almond/soy milk, coconut water, or water. I tried kale for several days, and although I love to eat cooked kale, I had a hard time stomaching it raw, even mixed in a smoothie. Almost any fruit mixed with spinach and milk will turn out to be a decent smoothie, although black berries can be a bit overpowering if you combine them with another fruit (even in small amounts). Also, be wary of lemons and limes. I found myself overdoing it several times with them to the point that the smoothie wasn't enjoyable at all (I still drank it).