Holistic Nutrionist

Options
JRIV60
JRIV60 Posts: 732 Member
I have an appointment with a Holistic Nutritionist this Saturday. This has always been on my To Do List but I have never been able to find one local here in tiny town.

Has anyone ever been to a nutritionist (holistic or not)? If so, would you mind telling me what I will/should expect from my visit?

Jo

Replies

• mamarundrc
    mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    I saw a nutritionist/ dietician when I had gestational diabetes. The visit was mostly focused on diabetic needs but it was really informative. At the first visit she explained how the body breaks down foods and differentiated between whole and processed food. She talked about nutritionally dense foods. Then she had me record a food diary and then went through it and helped me tweak it for my needs at that time. It was really good and a lot of what I apply in my eating plan now stems from the information she gave me in the 10 weeks I had to see her. If I had the opportunity, I would go to another again.

Let me know how it goes! I am interested to see what they say :-)
  • JRIV60
    Options
    I will post what happens on this thread after my appointment.

Jo
  • JRIV60
    Options
    I went to my second appointment yesterday and for the next two weeks I will be focusing dark leafy greens. I have some info that I will convert into a Google doc so I can post the link and share with you all.

Jo
  • mamarundrc
    Options
    I went to my second appointment yesterday and for the next two weeks I will be focusing dark leafy greens. I have some info that I will convert into a Google doc so I can post the link and share with you all.

Jo

That would be awesome! Thanks!
  • jitsuda
    jitsuda Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Thank you :) I would like to do that one day.
  • JRIV60
    Options
    Below is the link to the first doc - it's called Glorious Greens. My nutritionist asked me to try something on the list I have not tried before so I purchased Kale today, scary. :indifferent:

I will continue to post links as I get new handouts, etc. I am also required to read chapters 5 and 6 of Integrative Nutrition by Joshua Rosenthal. I will post any notes I feel are good to share with the group.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AqDvg7zDNJxjwL7xMwWY3Eb9i0E6VBrGzGiGDsC85uU/edit?usp=sharing

xo,

Jo
  • mamarundrc
    Options
    Very cool! We eat lots of greens here. I discovered Kale last year and love it. We do a sweet potato and kale hash which is really good. I also have substituted it for spinach in a few recipes and have also made Kale chips. They were really tasty, but hard to eat since they were really brittle.
  • JRIV60
    Options
    I went to the nutritionist again today so I will go through my handouts and post some info in the next couple of days. Grains, sweet veggies, and circle of life is the focus.

Oh and Dani I tried the kale steamed with coconut oil and a bit of garlic then sprinkled some red wine vinegar prior to serving. It was pretty good. Now if I can get my 8yr old to eat it. lol

Jo
  • mamarundrc
    Options
    I went to the nutritionist again today so I will go through my handouts and post some info in the next couple of days. Grains, sweet veggies, and circle of life is the focus.

Oh and Dani I tried the kale steamed with coconut oil and a bit of garlic then sprinkled some red wine vinegar prior to serving. It was pretty good. Now if I can get my 8yr old to eat it. lol

Jo

oooh.. Sweet veggies, I am OBSESSED with sweet peppers.

That kale sounds phenomenal (and has made it on to my menu planning board for next week)
  • JRIV60
    Options
    Hi peeps! I just got a few free minutes to upload some information the nutritionist gave me on my last visit. This one is called great grains. So far I have focused on reintroducing oats and brown rice to the dinner table. I plan on adding quinoa to the shopping list this weekend.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/12SuFO5DpBbEiKbhTzZ-T5eU2Y49fNOpm_NVd6RsFRhI/edit?usp=sharing

Oh, I will have another info sheet or two this week to post.

xo,

Jo
  • mamarundrc
    Options
    Great list! I love Quinoa. I tried it last year and became obsessed. We don't eat a ton of it because my husband isn't crazy about it but when I can sneak it onto the menu it is awesome. I recently switch us to brown rice and I don't think my husband even noticed. I also started eating polenta a few months back when we needed it for a recipe and have grown quite fond of it.