Is this supposed to be happening

MyiahRose
MyiahRose Posts: 183 Member
I have been on keto for 2 months with no cheat days. Sometimes my stomach feels very very weird when i eat my 80 grams of fat for breakfast. Well last night i had oily poop, really runny and oily.
Is this normal on keto?

Replies

• crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Happens to people frequently. Balance the fat out with some fiber; that's what helps me out. Do you need such a high concentration of fat first thing in the morning, though?
  • nitrospop
    nitrospop Posts: 122 Member
    I'm getting between 30-40 grams of fat each morning with no problems. Like suggested, increase the fiber, that'll help soak up the extra fats your body doesn't use.
  • Lisadjacks
    Lisadjacks Posts: 2
    Why are you trying to eat 80 grams of fat for breakfast? That's more than I eat all day. Are you trying to gain or lose weight?
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Why are you trying to eat 80 grams of fat for breakfast? That's more than I eat all day. Are you trying to gain or lose weight?

How big is your deficit? 80g is nothing unless you're at around 1200 calories. I'm losing consistently at 170g+ per day. Haven't had the issues OP mentioned though. And, I sometimes only eat twice a day... so I've had meals of 100g+ fat before.
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    OP, curious as to whether you've had your gallbladder removed? The symptoms you describe can occur in people that have had that surgery when a large amount of fat is consumed at one time. One of the purposes of the gallbladder is to aid in the digestion of fat, so if no gallbladder the more likely fats are to pass rapidly through the body without being digested or absorbed. No harm...just a bit uh, unexpected, I guess. I agree w/ the suggestions for more fiber...things made w/ flaxseed work well for me.
  • Lisadjacks
    Lisadjacks Posts: 2
    Yes, I am trying a very large deficit. 872 cal was recommended for moderate loss , that's only 63.6 grams of fat. I am 5'2 , for slow fat loss it recomended1119cal. and 91 grams of fat. I used "KetoDiet Buddy" . The other sites figured me much higher in calories and protein and the losses were soooo slow.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Yes, I am trying a very large deficit. 872 cal was recommended for moderate loss , that's only 63.6 grams of fat. I am 5'2 , for slow fat loss it recomended1119cal. and 91 grams of fat. I used "KetoDiet Buddy" . The other sites figured me much higher in calories and protein and the losses were soooo slow.

I don't even know how to respond to this. I will remind you that MFP has strict policies about endorsing VLC (very low calorie) diets (those under 1200 calories / day), so you're probably wise to not give advice based on how much you're eating. I don't think you were trying to encourage someone to follow a VLC diet with your post, but you should be aware that your calorie goal is not in line with what most people here are doing.

In a similar vein, why rush your own weight loss? VLC diets are miserable long-term. They may be tolerable for short-periods, but they suck long term. I recommend you read "The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook" by Lyle McDonald. (google it, there's PDFs out there). In that book, he'll discuss how to do what you're trying to do safely. He also talks a lot about the duration you should be crash-dieting and when to stop doing it. Please, if you do read it, read the whole thing. As he discusses, crash diets are rarely the right thing (he gives examples of when they might be right).
  • jackfox68
    jackfox68 Posts: 27 Member
    I've eaten almost 300 grams of fat today and about the same yesterday. Eating 80 grams in a day is hardly a high fat diet, unless like previously stated you are eating VLC.

As for the bowel movement, this happens to me from time to time, but less frequent if I add in some of the allowed nuts and seeds.
  • MyiahRose
    I've eaten almost 300 grams of fat today and about the same yesterday. Eating 80 grams in a day is hardly a high fat diet, unless like previously stated you are eating VLC.

As for the bowel movement, this happens to me from time to time, but less frequent if I add in some of the allowed nuts and seeds.

I said i eat 80 grams for breakfast. i eat 160 grams over all.
  • MyiahRose
    OP, curious as to whether you've had your gallbladder removed? The symptoms you describe can occur in people that have had that surgery when a large amount of fat is consumed at one time. One of the purposes of the gallbladder is to aid in the digestion of fat, so if no gallbladder the more likely fats are to pass rapidly through the body without being digested or absorbed. No harm...just a bit uh, unexpected, I guess. I agree w/ the suggestions for more fiber...things made w/ flaxseed work well for me.

This only happened one time and it was late at night way after dinner.