Water Filters/Purifiers

Options
mrphil86
mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
Since I've brought up various pieces of gears I figured I'd bring up water filters and purifiers.

I use the First Need XLE which a lot of people say is overkill since I shouldn't worry about viruses and whatnot. The reason why I do is because about 50% of the time in the San Diego area, I only get a TINY spring to get water from if I need it. I know all the local wildlife use it too since it would be the only one for like a couple of miles. They also tend to be really murky and full of dead organic material. There are probably not any viruses but I'm playing the cautious side of it anyways.

I also like I can gravity feed with it. Downside is that it's only good for 150 gallons and can't really field clean it. I own a Katadyn Hiker Pro too and I love that I can field clean it. However, it does clog a lot sooner and become harder to pump after awhile in my chosen water sources than my XLE. XLE pumps pretty smooth and nice. And no virus and bacteria filtering.

Anyone else use something else and what kind of water sources do you get?

Replies

• 1960HikerDude
    1960HikerDude Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I currently use a Sawyer inline filter. I like it because I can simply fill my hydration bladder from small streams and creeks and be on my way. The filter is installed along the drinking tube and filters water as I drink. In camp, I simply hang up my bladder and use it as a gravity filter.
  • robinaddison
    robinaddison Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I use a Miox water treatment system. Before I treat the water, I'll pre filter it thru a reusable coffee filter. As backup, I carry tablets. Both the Miox and the tablets are good for treating turbid water; only drawback is having to wait a little prior to drinking. Water sources vary from snow, springs/creeks/rivers to lakes. I carry a fold up bucket on my pack for when I'm in camp.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    I've seen the Sawyer before and I like the fact it's almost impossible to clog... Since it is gravity feed it should be. I've often thought about getting one with a couple of big containers to use in a base camp.

As far as Miox goes, never seen or heard about it before. I'm going to certainly check it out. At first glance it seems like an interesting concept.
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Miss_Hiker_Pants Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have a Sawyer squeeze bag. The filter itself can be screwed on to a regular water bottle or fill the bag up and just squeeze They weigh next to nothing, and the filter fits in the palm of my hand.
    I usually hike near streams etc., but I do carry purification tablets just in case I need to filter some questionable water.

99.99999 % guaranteed protection.
  • robinaddison
    robinaddison Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I keep looking at those Sawyers - very tempting indeed...if it wasn't for the fact that I soooooo love my Miox!
  • LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    We used a Sawyer for the first time last week hiking the AT in Georgia and loved it! It was so quick and easy to use. We normally use the Katadyn Hiker filter, but in Florida the water is either slow moving or stagnant, so it is very necessary for good filtration.