To eat at TDEE or - 15%

Options
blynnblair
blynnblair Posts: 274 Member
Hey there, I have been a part of this group for quite some time but now I am finally going to follow these suggestions. I have a few questions but first some background.

I haven't tracked my calories for a long time, I used to be neurotic about every single thing I ate and I dont want to go back there again. I had a very unhealthy relationship with food. Now thank God I view food as fuel now and not the enemy. Within the past month or so I have been lifting heavy weights 3 times a week, I have been hungry alot so I tracked for a few days and learned I have not been eating enough and my carbs have been quite low like maybe a 100 gms if that a day ( I eat paleo because I am gluten intolerant and feel sick when i eat most grains buuut i tolerated gluten free oatmeal last night and i was so happy!! :happy: ) anyway I really want to gain muscle and lose fat and I guess I need a little reassurance on how much to eat.

according to Scooby and the last time I weighed myself about 2 weeks ago (I smashed my scale lol i hate that damn thing, that number defined me for way too long)

TDEE 2889
TDEE -15% 2455

oh and what about macros for gaining muscle? keep at 40c30p30f?

I really appreciate any help or insight!

Replies

• AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Welcome! So glad to have you here...

So when you say that your calories have been low over the last month... What level have you been eating at (at what was happening prior to that?) Let us know a little more about your dieting history in order to be able to guide you better.

And yes, EM2WL recommends that 40/30/30 ratio for your macros..

Feel free to send me a friend request if you woul like a shoulder to lean on along the way.
    Anitra
  • chocolatecroissant
    chocolatecroissant Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm also about to start a -15% deficit after stabilising and then doing the opposite of you blynnblair and overeating on calories. I'm short with about 10lbs to lose so my deficit is around 1800. This includes my calculation of activities so I assume that I don't eat back exercise calories?
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I'm also about to start a -15% deficit after stabilising and then doing the opposite of you blynnblair and overeating on calories. I'm short with about 10lbs to lose so my deficit is around 1800. This includes my calculation of activities so I assume that I don't eat back exercise calories?

That is correct, when you figure out your TDEE, all of your exercise calories are already factored into that number, so, no, you would not eat back your exercise calories (unless you had an exceptionally high burn day...)
  • chocolatecroissant
    chocolatecroissant Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Many thanks :-)
  • blynnblair
    blynnblair Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Welcome! So glad to have you here...

So when you say that your calories have been low over the last month... What level have you been eating at (at what was happening prior to that?) Let us know a little more about your dieting history in order to be able to guide you better.

And yes, EM2WL recommends that 40/30/30 ratio for your macros..

Feel free to send me a friend request if you woul like a shoulder to lean on along the way.
    Anitra

I wasn't counting again until about a month ago and when I started counting I barely made it 1800 calories. I stopped counting because I let it rule my life and I was just eating paleo. I have lost about 25 pounds since going paleo but now since I am lifting more I want to fuel my workouts better and want to track for a little bit and where I am at.

We are already friends :)