too much fat

Options
StacyRenee77
StacyRenee77 Posts: 2,732 Member
What if you eat too much fat in a day. will you gain?

Replies

• ali59oc
    ali59oc Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I haven't. Too much protein maybe. Too much carbs definitely. Fat is GOOD!
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I've wondered the same thing. Even if you are burning fat as fuel, if you are not working out much, will you burn all the fat you're eating? I haven't been working out other than walkng my dogs and I keep wondering if I'm burning all the fat I'm eating. I haven't been losing much despite eating less than 20 gm of carbs since March 1st and having fat between 75 & 80%.
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Only way you'll gain is if you're going over your calories. "Too much fat" really just means too many calories.

If you're eating over your fat macro goal and are still under your calories, look at your protein goal. Are you meeting that? Be careful. Losing muscle is not a good thing.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    How do you know what level of protein is the cut off for losing muscle?
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    The answer is not that simple, I didn't gain eating 3000-3500 cals at 80% fat , 10-15% protein and under 5% carbs. It was during first 3-4 weeks of ketosis though but I can't imagine eating 3000 cals (predominantly fat) now that I am Keto adapted. This calorie is a calorie thing is too broad, body breaks down each fuel differently, the fats, carbs and proteins. I am not saying you can eat unlimited amount of food but the way human body breaks down food is more dependent on second law of thermo dynamics. Its usually the excess protein which is broken down in to fatty acids and enters the blood stream in case of excess of excess cals available for the body. Regarding protein requirement go with 0.8-1gm/ kg is minimum you should strive for daily, each person has different needs and if some one is active, they might need 1.5gm protein/kg of body weight. Eating too much fat is one of the thing I want to experiment for couple of weeks and see what it does to my body.
    Options
    How do you know what level of protein is the cut off for losing muscle?

Regular body composition tests, I had no problem increasing muscle mass with 1.0gm protein/kg. I personally think 0.8g/kg of weight would have been sufficient for me to maintain my muscle.
  • StacyRenee77
    StacyRenee77 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    And can some handle more of an excess of protein than others?
  • cchild2
    cchild2 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Leonidas - have you seen Sam Feltham's three experiments. For 21 days each time, he ate basically the same thing every day. I forget if it was 5000 or 6000 calories each day.

The first time, he ate low carb high fat. The second time, he ate typical Sad diet. And the third time he ate low fat vegan, iirc.

Some interesting results!
    Options
    Leonidas - have you seen Sam Feltham's three experiments. For 21 days each time, he ate basically the same thing every day. I forget if it was 5000 or 6000 calories each day.

The first time, he ate low carb high fat. The second time, he ate typical Sad diet. And the third time he ate low fat vegan, iirc.

Some interesting results!

Thanks for the heads up. I will look up the experiment.