Can't Retain Bicep Strength?

Options
I have Graves Disease. Had 2 years of untreated severe hyperthyroidism, left me with extreme muscle wasting, and basically started with zero strength in January of this year.

I do SL, as well as Body weight resistance and Cardio.

My problem is all my lifting is either increasing in weight or sets/reps, EXCEPT for Bicep curls, and just overall strength in biceps. I believe this is directly related to the muscle wasting from the Graves.

If I take off more than 2 days from bicep training, I seem to lose any gain I made. I have definition. I am getting toned. Just zero strength. I tried helping hubby moving some appliances, furniture over the weekend and I can carry at hip level, or hold at shoulder level, but between hip to shoulder range I can't fight the negative force. I tend to struggle with my OHP in the mid range going up as well.

When I started a dumbell workout, and was ignorant to train/rest I did dumbell training and push ups everyday and seemed to have some improvement although very small.

So here is my question. It would seem to me, that I need to train my biceps every single day, to retain any gain at all. Seems like a no brainer to me, BUT is that really a viable option? I can do it everyday. I have no problems with that, but in the long run will it potentially cause more damage? If it is an option to train everyday, is there maybe a different isolation type exercise I could rotate with? OR am I possibly missing something or doing something wrong? I currently do Biceps curls at 2x8x20 and can not physically do another rep at that weight, regardless of good form or bad form with my left, and can eek out a few more with my right, but don't to try to avoid an even worse issue of being unbalanced. My biceps will burn, ache, and just feel extremely fatigued, but within an hour they feel like they weren't even worked out. I never have DOMS in my biceps. I realize DOMS aren't necessarily indicative of a good workout, yet I do get them everywhere else. LOL.

If anyone has any ideas, please share. IF someone has actually experienced this or knows someone with Graves that has overcame this particular challenge please point them in my direction. My goal is to lose weight, look better, and gain overall endurance, and strength, but this bicep thing is just kicking my butt!

Replies