Should I be this hungry at 2000 calories?

Options
caligulala
caligulala Posts: 44 Member
I read up on EM2WL last year and was chugging along when we found out we were moving internationally and I stopped tracking food, but kept on working out and living life, which is pretty active. I've put on a bunch of muscle since I'm way less squishy, but I'd now like to cut so the world can see it too!

HeyBales's calculator gives me a TDEE of 2432, but since I've been tracking again, I'm pretty sure I was eating way more than that, like at least 2800 if not 3000 calories a day, and my weight has been stable for the last 6 months.

10 days ago, I started cutting to a goal of 2000 calories a day based on the calculator, figuring I'd go a little over everyday.
I AM RAVENOUS.

My question is, is this just adjustment? Have I cut too far? Why am I so hungry?

Stats:
5'4.5"
146 pounds
Exercise is crossfit 2-3 times a week for an hour, at least 20 miles a week walking, sometimes much more, and 10-20 miles of biking with kids on the bike.

Replies

• jordymils
    jordymils Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    If you've gone from eating close to 3000 calories per day and now you're eating 2000, then I would expect you to be hungry!! You've cut your intake by 1/3, which is a lot. If you really think you've been eating upwards of 2800 cals then I'd up it a little bit to 2300-2400 for a week just so your body gets used to less food, and then drop it back to 2000. Although if your TDEE is 2432 then cutting to 2000 might just be too drastic. Do you know your BF%? You could probably cut closer to 2100-2200 (TDEE -10%) and still see results, but if you cut at 2150 for a month without results then you could drop back a little more to 2000. But remember you always want to give yourself 3-4 weeks of eating at any level before judging if it's working or not :)
  • chocolatecroissant
    chocolatecroissant Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm curious what the OP decided to do here - did you still with 2000 or increase a little? I've started a cut before and hunger got the better of me (I lift heavy 4 times a week and run 2 times) but I'm aiming to increase my protein and try to minimise my chocolate treats this time around as they were taking up too many of my calories! I'd be interested to compare notes. My cut calories are 1800. I am 5'4 with about 10lbs to lose, although I'm more interested in appearance/dress size than scale weight.
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 5'4" 143 so we are about the same. 2000 seems too low for your activity level. I know I would be VERY hungry eating that much. I started em2wl a month ago because eating at 1800 made me lethargic and life is too short to not have my full energy; I've kept upping cals and am at 2600 and feeling great.
  • chocolatecroissant
    chocolatecroissant Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm very jealous of 2600. As an older woman, my TDEE is lower (around 2100) so 1800 is reasonable for a deficit but it's great that you listened to your body and adjusted calories accordingly. :-)
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Heybales spreadsheet will only ever be an estimation. If you were maintaining at 3000, then you can cut to 2500 to lose 1lb a week, or 2750 for 0.5lb a week, depending on how much you have to lose. A 1000 calorie daily deficit can be hard work.

Also, what are you eating with those 2000 calories? Can you open up your diary? Fats and protein will keep you fuller for longer.
  • caligulala
    Options
    Hey, thanks, ladies! I didn't see these until just now.

I was just too hungry at 2000. I decided to follow my hunger's lead and see where it took me. I think I'm simply more active than I give myself credit for, even during "light" weeks.

I've landed somewhere around 2300-2400 calories on average, with some days being higher and some lower. I could probably use a little more protein, but I'm pretty happy with our diet. It's a good mix of lots of veggies with some legumes, some meat and some carbs. Room for treats and a glass of wine. In any case, I'm definitely eating less than before and losing a bit. Last week wasn't a valid weigh in week since I was SUPER sore, but I am down an inch in the waist, hips and thigh and 2" in the chest. That's what I'm after, so it's cool.

It feels sustainable for the long haul in all areas - workouts, eating, lifestyle, being aware but not obsessive.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Heybales spreadsheet will only ever be an estimation. If you were maintaining at 3000, then you can cut to 2500 to lose 1lb a week, or 2750 for 0.5lb a week, depending on how much you have to lose. A 1000 calorie daily deficit can be hard work.

This is very true, even the attempt at best estimate can be off.

OP - You may do high cardio much harder than activity calc gives you calorie credit for, or lifting too. Or more daily activity than you entered in.

That's why the Progress tab has the TDEE calc based on real results to adjust as time goes on. Seasons change (do I hear a song?) and activity levels outside exercise change too.

But once you start on the high side at least, you can adjust based on results if you have valid weigh-ins and decent food logging accuracy.

Depending on your workout type and time, I'm wondering with as little as you have to lose if that's not actually a tad too much deficit.
  • caligulala
    Options
    Always happy to hear I might be able to eat more :)

The 2300-2400 average is over the last 2 weeks when I've been a bit less active than usual. I think I should have a valid weigh in this weekend and see where I'm at and adjust accordingly.