So confused, sos

Options
kamaperry
kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
I feel like my dr and nutritionist are taking my fasting BS numbers too casually. Plus I have been doing my own research and it is leading to LCHF, or Atkins. I thought I could trust the dr's office, but I think I have to learn on my own, and there is so much that I am overwhelmed and at times want to just say the heck with it.
Can anyone straighten out the confusion?

Replies

• amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I feel like my dr and nutritionist are taking my fasting BS numbers too casually. Plus I have been doing my own research and it is leading to LCHF, or Atkins. I thought I could trust the dr's office, but I think I have to learn on my own, and there is so much that I am overwhelmed and at times want to just say the heck with it.
    Can anyone straighten out the confusion?

I think it's beneficial to learn as much as you can and do your own research. Talk to the doctor and ask them the reasoning behind everything. I'm not sure specifically what your confusion is. I'm not an expert. I've only learned of my diabetes about 3 weeks ago, but my mom has had diabetes for over 15 years. It can be overwhelming at times. I like to learn as much as I can about a subject.
  • kamaperry
    Options
    The confusion is from the conflicting diet recommendations and the fasting blood sugar ranges. The told me at my dr's office, 110-140, that sounds too high and I have checked this in my other groups. I'm leaning towards doing Atkins diet or Low Carb High fat.
  • karenfallison
    karenfallison Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Low carbs for sure, carbs turn to sugar, but you need a certain amount of carbs for energy. Low carb high protein has worked for me personally with T2 Diabetes, I just have problems getting my calories in without going over my carb limit. My doctor told me to have 45 carbs for breakfast, 15 snack, 37 1/1 lunch, 15 snack, 30 dinner & 15 snack. Have you had an A1C test? That tells all. Look into American Diabetes org or WebMD for info on normal blood sugar levels. Good luck! Remember, don't stress, that causes higher blood sugar levels.
  • kamaperry
    Options
    Low carbs for sure, carbs turn to sugar, but you need a certain amount of carbs for energy. Low carb high protein has worked for me personally with T2 Diabetes, I just have problems getting my calories in without going over my carb limit. My doctor told me to have 45 carbs for breakfast, 15 snack, 37 1/1 lunch, 15 snack, 30 dinner & 15 snack. Have you had an A1C test? That tells all. Look into American Diabetes org or WebMD for info on normal blood sugar levels. Good luck! Remember, don't stress, that causes higher blood sugar levels.
    Thanks, yes, my A1C was a 10, that is how they diagnosed me.
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    This journey each of us takes in our effort to manage this condition is indeed very individualistic, both emotionally and physically. We rely on our healthcare providers to offer the help of medications and any additional educational assistance and guidelines to follow towards what might help us to achieve near normal blood sugar control as best and humanly possible.

Finding the right eating plan that works for you-will take a lot of time and patience. By following your doctors recommendation on what blood sugar target goals to aim for and moving forward-configuring a plan yourself designed to reach these target goals, is going to be a lot of trial and error at first. The once found though, you'll quickly learn where you might want to make adjustments when necessary to help you accomplish meeting those goals. This requires much hard work, persistence and determination.

Many people living with T2D find success by following a LC/HF diet to be very beneficial towards healthier blood sugar control.

Trial and error.
  • amberj32
    Options
    This journey each of us takes in our effort to manage this condition is indeed very individualistic, both emotionally and physically. We rely on our healthcare providers to offer the help of medications and any additional educational assistance and guidelines to follow towards what might help us to achieve near normal blood sugar control as best and humanly possible.

Finding the right eating plan that works for you-will take a lot of time and patience. By following your doctors recommendation on what blood sugar target goals to aim for and moving forward-configuring a plan yourself designed to reach these target goals, is going to be a lot of trial and error at first. The once found though, you'll quickly learn where you might want to make adjustments when necessary to help you accomplish meeting those goals. This requires much hard work, persistence and determination.

Many people living with T2D find success by following a LC/HF diet to be very beneficial towards healthier blood sugar control.

Trial and error.

Thank you bdubya55 - Very well put!
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Personally, a lower carb/high fat/moderate protein diet is working very well for me, but might not be a good plan for everyone. My husband and I are both diabetic, yet our bodies react very differently to some of the same food items. I've found that I have to be careful of carbs at breakfast. Anything over 20-25 carbs and my readings are too high (I aim for 120 or lower) afterwards. I have also found that the later it gets in the day, the better my body is at processing carbs without BS spikes. My dinner had 46 grams of carbohydrates and two hours later my meter read at 126.

I should say that I don't take low carb to an extreme, otherwise, I have great difficulty eating enough calories.
  • diabetesdieter
    diabetesdieter Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different and foods create different results in different people. My fast BS had been about 105-110 for the past 3 months. The past two weeks, it's been in the 80-90 range. Have not changed my diet, but I have lost a lot of weight so far. I eat a slice of Ezekial sprouted grain bread for breakfast with vegan butter. Two hour blood glucose this morning was 100. I still eat carbs, I just try to make them quality and not too processed!

Ideally, I always want my bs under 100. My a1c will not go down low enough otherwise. From when I finish dinner to when I get up is the longest period for my bs, so I want it lower...
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Most doctors are old school and think 180 and under are perfect numbers. You are unfortunately coming into this at a time when medicine is behind common knowledge. You will have to educate your doctor.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I am in no way an expert but I think that your doctor may seem casual about your numbers to you, but he/she is more likely realistic. You said that you had an a1c of 10. That translates to an average blood glucose of 240. Your current numbers seem to be averaging closer to 150 from what I have seen, which translates to an a1c of 7. That is a huge drop! (an A1C test about 3 months after starting diabetes treatment might not be a bad idea. Most doctors will only do it 2x a year but you can get a mail order kit for $9 at Walmart) Unfortunately, managing diabetes is a process, not a "take a pill and it's gone" condition.

Like bdubya55 said, it is so individual and what works for one will not work for another. In that same vein, each person's numbers will be different as will the time it takes to get to the "ideal" range.

The American Diabetes Association recommends:
    A1C: 7% (A1C may also be reported as eAG: 154 mg/)
    Before a meal (preprandial plasma glucose): 70–130 mg/dl
    1-2 hours after beginning of the meal (Postprandial plasma glucose)*: Less than 180 mg/dl

I know it is frustrating. I have been getting frustrated too!
  • kamaperry
    Options

Trial and error.
    Thank you so much!!!! Am planning to use that diet!
  • kamaperry
    Options
    I am in no way an expert but I think that your doctor may seem casual about your numbers to you, but he/she is more likely realistic. You said that you had an a1c of 10. That translates to an average blood glucose of 240. Your current numbers seem to be averaging closer to 150 from what I have seen, which translates to an a1c of 7. That is a huge drop! (an A1C test about 3 months after starting diabetes treatment might not be a bad idea. Most doctors will only do it 2x a year but you can get a mail order kit for $9 at Walmart) Unfortunately, managing diabetes is a process, not a "take a pill and it's gone" condition.

Like bdubya55 said, it is so individual and what works for one will not work for another. In that same vein, each person's numbers will be different as will the time it takes to get to the "ideal" range.

The American Diabetes Association recommends:
    A1C: 7% (A1C may also be reported as eAG: 154 mg/)
    Before a meal (preprandial plasma glucose): 70–130 mg/dl
    1-2 hours after beginning of the meal (Postprandial plasma glucose)*: Less than 180 mg/dl

I know it is frustrating. I have been getting frustrated too!
    Well THAT makes me feel much better! So I HAVE improved! THANK YOU!! Big hugs!
  • kamaperry
    Options
    Most doctors are old school and think 180 and under are perfect numbers. You are unfortunately coming into this at a time when medicine is behind common knowledge. You will have to educate your doctor.
    I think he beleives that since I lost weight and got off meds before, it will be no sweat for me to do it again. I love the confidence, but a bit more concern and accuracy would be nice.
  • kamaperry
    Options
    Everyone is different and foods create different results in different people. My fast BS had been about 105-110 for the past 3 months. The past two weeks, it's been in the 80-90 range. Have not changed my diet, but I have lost a lot of weight so far. I eat a slice of Ezekial sprouted grain bread for breakfast with vegan butter. Two hour blood glucose this morning was 100. I still eat carbs, I just try to make them quality and not too processed!

Ideally, I always want my bs under 100. My a1c will not go down low enough otherwise. From when I finish dinner to when I get up is the longest period for my bs, so I want it lower...
    You are doing awesome!
  • kamaperry
    Options
    Personally, a lower carb/high fat/moderate protein diet is working very well for me, but might not be a good plan for everyone. My husband and I are both diabetic, yet our bodies react very differently to some of the same food items. I've found that I have to be careful of carbs at breakfast. Anything over 20-25 carbs and my readings are too high (I aim for 120 or lower) afterwards. I have also found that the later it gets in the day, the better my body is at processing carbs without BS spikes. My dinner had 46 grams of carbohydrates and two hours later my meter read at 126.

I should say that I don't take low carb to an extreme, otherwise, I have great difficulty eating enough calories.
    I'm planning to do lowcarb, I feel my body needs it.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I am in no way an expert but I think that your doctor may seem casual about your numbers to you, but he/she is more likely realistic. You said that you had an a1c of 10. That translates to an average blood glucose of 240. Your current numbers seem to be averaging closer to 150 from what I have seen, which translates to an a1c of 7. That is a huge drop!

Yes, you HAVE improved. Congratulations! You are not there yet (neither am I) but you are definitely on your way. Keep up the good work and give yourself some slack.
  • kamaperry
    Options
    I am in no way an expert but I think that your doctor may seem casual about your numbers to you, but he/she is more likely realistic. You said that you had an a1c of 10. That translates to an average blood glucose of 240. Your current numbers seem to be averaging closer to 150 from what I have seen, which translates to an a1c of 7. That is a huge drop!

Yes, you HAVE improved. Congratulations! You are not there yet (neither am I) but you are definitely on your way. Keep up the good work and give yourself some slack.
    Thank you!!
  • amberj32
    Options

How low carb do you plan on doing? I'm doing 30-45 carbs per meal and 15-30 carbs for snacks. That's a huge difference compared to my eating prior to diabetes. It seems to be working so far and I'm losing weight.
  • kamaperry
    Options

How low carb do you plan on doing? I'm doing 30-45 carbs per meal and 15-30 carbs for snacks. That's a huge difference compared to my eating prior to diabetes. It seems to be working so far and I'm losing weight.
    That's about right, maybe less