Staple Foods/Recipes

Options
reisingmel
reisingmel Posts: 50 Member
I apologize in advance if this has been covered already, but I was just noticing today that although I am right on track for carbs (22g) and protein (74g), I am roughly 30g short on fat. I've already had two coffees with the butter and coconut oil and I don't want to do another because that is a lot of caffeine and I'd like to sleep later, but I don't know how else to get the fat without just spooning myself some olive oil (shudder) or butter (double shudder).

So what are some of the go-to foods to keep the carbs and protein down, but to add fat to a day?

Replies

• jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    easy way to get more fat and 100 cal is add 2 TBS of heavy cream to your coffee, (it's tasty too) but also not paleo. OR put just an extra .5 TBS of butter or oil in the coffee I have a few different BPC that I make depending on my desire. One has unsweetened cocoa in it and well is dangerous.
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Oops didn't mean to post that, others are Nuts but do have carbs, Avocados also have carbs but yummy fat too. Cheese, low carbs and has some protein (if your primal).

Butter everything (I buttered a pork chop) Then when you get funny looks tell them your on a diet its fun!

I also add TBS of oil (olive or coconut to my salads)

I also bought decaf coffee for BPC at night.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I eat really high fat( keto style primal) and really low carb.
    I only have coffee in the morning and do the butter/coconut oil in there
    I eat fatty cuts of meat(ribeye/pork)and I cook it in butter/coconut oil..I then use the pan drippings and cook my veg in that.
    I don't eat nuts but do eat some cheese.
    Hope that helps a bit :)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Coconut manna is an option but has 3 grams of carbs per 9 grams of fat. I can also eat coconut oil by itself. I will have decaf coffee on occasion just to get the fats in, but mostly I just try to eat a lot of fat in my everyday foods: fat on all veggies and fatty animals. I find it very hard to add it in later by itself and one lower fat day isn't the end of the world and you can do better tomorrow.

Stick to BP coffee instead of cream, unless you have access to grass-fed raw dairy. Just my opinion, and dairy is one of my biggest loves/struggles.

Yes, load the veggies with butter or ghee and do exactly what Jake said: "I'm on a diet"!
  • reisingmel
    reisingmel Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Butter everything (I buttered a pork chop) Then when you get funny looks tell them your on a diet its fun!

I laughed so hard reading that! Everyone who knows how I'm eating now to "lose weight" thinks I've completely lost it. I'm equally impressed by the number of people who feel compelled to tell me I'm going to die of a heart attack any day and how I can't possibly eat this way and get healthier.
    I eat really high fat( keto style primal) and really low carb.
    I only have coffee in the morning and do the butter/coconut oil in there
    I eat fatty cuts of meat(ribeye/pork)and I cook it in butter/coconut oil..I then use the pan drippings and cook my veg in that.
    I don't eat nuts but do eat some cheese.
    Hope that helps a bit :)

I'm trying to lean toward a keto style paleo as I know dairy is an issue with me. I just get so bloated and horrible feeling with medium to large amounts and I'm wondering if the smaller amounts are doing some minimal disruption to my system as well and I want to cut it out for at least 30 days to see how it goes. I do absolutely love a butter smothered cut of fatty ribeye - though I haven't been able to stomach eating the actual fat on it in large amounts. The thought makes me a bit nauseas, but maybe I'll have to work my way up to it.
    Stick to BP coffee instead of cream, unless you have access to grass-fed raw dairy. Just my opinion, and dairy is one of my biggest loves/struggles.

Giving up carbs surprisingly hasn't been my battle - it's cheese! I never realized how much of it I ate until I started making the paleo transition. Even now I have to stop and think "don't add cheese to the eggs" or "no slicing cheese off the block for an easy snack".

Does anyone know if it's worse to go under on fat but meet the protein and carb recomendations? Or to go a little over on protein or carbs and meet the fat recommendations? Maybe I'm just being too anal... lol. Being pretty new to this, I just want to make sure I've got it mostly right up front so I know how to go from here.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Many people like to say "I don't have a problem with dairy" and I used to be one of those. However, my resistance to give it up for even a month was a big clue to the fact that it IS a problem for me. It took me almost a year to get cream out of my coffee and switch to BP. Dairy causes mild digestive upset, slows my weight loss, and I'm always wanting it. Fellow cheese-a-holic here. Here's an illustration I like to use: I love asparagus but when I don't have it, I don't think about it, I don't need it, but it's a pleasant surprise when it's in the store. But when it isn't in the store, I don't miss it. When it is there, I will only eat it 2 times per week maximum. That's a healthy relationship with a food. My relationship with dairy is not healthy.

I use my carb macro as a maximum (I don't want to even get close to reaching it on most days). My protein macro is a guideline but I try to get close and don't mind going over. And I do try to reach my fat goal but don't sweat it if I'm too far under. I don't mind if I go over on fat at all; in fact I cheer when I do. I've had a few low fat days but considering that I have my fat macro set at 70% I can get away with being a little low occasionally.

Justaspoonfulofsugar and I have similar diets. Ketogenic Primal/Paleo is a WIN for many people.
  • primalkiwi
    primalkiwi Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I eat a keto/primal diet and find my go-to items for adding fat are butter, mayo and cheese. I love butter on top of steak (with garlic and black pepper) and at the moment can't get enough off a really simple vege dish - thinly sliced carrots, zucchini and broccoli, add all to a pot of boiling water and cook to your liking, drain and add plenty of butter and lemon zest, shake it up and serve. Cheese - I love it but now have a healthy relationship with it and can eat without wanting to devour the entire block. Mayo - homemade but I hate it plain so add either a homemade ranch seasoning or curry powder, makes a yummy dip, goes on my daily salad in great quantities and I'll happily eat it by the spoonful if my fats are too low for the day. I don't meet all macros daily - carbs are 30g and I'm strict with that but fats and protein I'm not worried if they are under or over unless that pattern goes on for a few days.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    One thing I would say is that for me,when I have gone off dairy..it has stopped me from having pms/hormonal times at my t.o.m..I also noticed that when I started eating it again,it increased my cravings for sugar..that's just me but it was an interesting experiment all the same.Try giving up dairy for 30 days and see how you feel when you bring it back into your diet.
    Like wheat,I think a lot of people have issues with dairy but they just aren't aware.
    I find I do fine with butter and cheese in small amounts.I don't generally eat plain greek yogurt as I find it's hard for me to digest.
    Find what works best for you through trial and error
  • mfrankrn
    mfrankrn Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have made a few different "fat bombs". I use coconut oil as a base, then add in whatever the recipe calls for. Carb count varies from 0 gm to 8 gm, depending on what else goes in. The bigger ones I sometimes eat instead of a meal.