Going from Pills to Insulin.. HELP!!!

Options
I have been diabetic since I was 28.. I am now 41... I have taken metformin during this time and a year ago juenivia was added.. almost 2 months ago I started MFP and have lost 18 lbs so far but my sugar, no matter how hard I try stays in the upper 100s to 235... today my doctor started me on Lantus.. I am scared for 2 reasons.. first is I feel like a failure... Im scared this means I will never get rid of this disease no matter how hard I work.. second is that at one time the dr prescribed Actos for me and it made my arms and legs swell and now I am scared of any new meds and what might happen...My question is... does anyone here take or has taken Lantus and what is your opinions on it???

Replies

• amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I have been diabetic since I was 28.. I am now 41... I have taken metformin during this time and a year ago juenivia was added.. almost 2 months ago I started MFP and have lost 18 lbs so far but my sugar, no matter how hard I try stays in the upper 100s to 235... today my doctor started me on Lantus.. I am scared for 2 reasons.. first is I feel like a failure... Im scared this means I will never get rid of this disease no matter how hard I work.. second is that at one time the dr prescribed Actos for me and it made my arms and legs swell and now I am scared of any new meds and what might happen...My question is... does anyone here take or has taken Lantus and what is your opinions on it???

You've had diabetes a lot longer than I have so I'm not an expert. I would continue with MFP and logging your food and working out. You lost 18lbs so far and that's great!! I'm not sure how often you test your blood sugar during the day. Since I'm new, I check it a lot during the day to see how different foods I eat affect my blood sugar. I would try and eat more fresh food and less processed foods and try a little less carbs. I don't know how much you have to lose. I have 100 lbs to lose total.

I'm currently on metformin and glipizide. I haven't taken Lantus so no opinion. I do get nervous for any type of new medicine also because I had a bad reaction once.

You will beat this!!
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options

Hi Katherine. First and foremost, you are NOT a failure and you didn't ask for this condition. True there isn't a cure for type 2 diabetes- its managed by countless people successfully needing today's modern insulin therapy technologies. I clearly understand your fears given your experience using the Actos medication. Who wouldn't with those side effects?

The good news is there are also countless people who have been able to reduce and oftentimes eliminate their diabetes medications altogether by losing excess weight if needed, along with adopting healthier lifestyle habits to include reducing carbohydrates and increasing exercise to help reduce insulin resistance.

I've been treating my diabetes with Lantus along with Novolog mealtime insulin going on 15 years now complication free-, prior to this I was treating my diabetes with a Humulin basal/bolus (70/30) insulin mix since 1982 with no ill side effects either until newer technologies entered the market. I'm sincerely grateful for today's insulin technology, these medications offer me more flexibility and tighter glucose control as a result.

Lantus (a basal insulin) is a safe and widely prescribed medication. It's job is to take the glucose secreted by the liver and pack it into the body's cells to burn for fuel. Typically basal (background) insulin needs are highest during the night and early morning and the lowest in the middle of the day. I suspect your doctor will prescribe a lower dose at first to learn how your body reacts. It may take a few days for your body to react to Lantus. It's possible and likely he/she may need to increase your dose. Again, your not a failure here. It's a medication. an important tool you and I need for safe and effective blood sugar self management. It's important to communicate your self testing results with your doctor, as this will help him/her make any changes in dosing if needed.

This community is here for you, you're not alone here as you move forward-we're eager to offer any support and help when possible.

I've found (http://www.amazon.com/Think-Like-Pancreas-Practical-Insulin-Completely/dp/0738215147) to be an invaluable resource towards gaining a better understanding on using insulin as a tool in my efforts towards better blood sugar control.

Feel free to message me with any questions or concerns you might have. I welcome any opportunity to help

Best wishes

~Bob
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,624 Member
    Options
    I don't have experience with your meds so I apologize if I am being off topic.

Do keep trying to lose weight. The information from the Newcastle University study below helped me enormously. It contends that type 2 is caused by excess fat in the liver and pancreas and losing enough visceral fat can reverse all diabetes symptoms. This has been the case for me after losing 40 lbs. I was originally prescribed 2000 mg of metformin but am now off all medication and my medication free hba1c is 5.0.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm
  • Crazycatladytracey
    Crazycatladytracey Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My diabetes got that bad it nearly killed me last year. I am now on insulin plus tablets.
    Am scared though as it is acting up again. Blood glucose going from 3.4 to 16.5 in the same day. I recognise myself when im having an hypo.
  • KatherineMichelle72
    Options
    Thanks so much guys, for the info and the support!!! I wont lie, I was freaking out yesterday when I was at the dr... part of it being my fear of needles... I thank God its only 1 a day and is at bedtime as my girlfriend can do it for me til I feel comfortable doing it myself..I am feeling much better about it this morning, the injection didnt hurt at all ( helped that she kissed the injection site right after hehe) but more importantly I did tons of reading up on Lantus and lots of reviews on it... one day at a time, on meal at a time is what I always day about my weight loss journey.. well it holds true for my diabetes as well... I have to stay focused on the positive things that are happening.. I know it wont be easy and overnight but I will loss this weight and I will get rid of my diabetes on day at a time and one meal at a time and... on step at a time!!!
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    When the Dr did my lab work, their results were that I was 135 (which they say anything past 99 is already diabetic).
    BUT when I started testing it myself it said I was 178 :noway:
    I don't know how the 2 #'s could be so different.
    Ive been on metformin (1000 mg 500 morning breakfast/500 dinner) since April 9th.
    Last week I got down as far at 68...slowly raised it back up.
    One day earlier this week I was 73 but its since gone up to 87.
    I was just weighed yesterday (3 wks ago from the last time) and lost 5.5 lbs.
    I still have at least 102 but for my height Id like to lose slightly more than that but for right now that's a healthy goal for me.
    I too have a fear of needles...I always have to ask for the baby needles & they always seem to think they know better than me but they forget its me that's getting poked!
    I cried last month when I heard that I was diabetic & that no one else other than myself was going to have to start testing my sugar levels every day.
    I made it my mission that I was going to do this right, head on so that I could get off ALL this stuff ASAP!
    I asked them how long before I could get off the meds/needles & they said when I could stay stable, so its ideal for me to keep working at maintaining!
    3 weeks ago I joined this site which has really enlightened me on what I was eating at & what value it was worth it to me.
    Be careful...not all fruits/veggies are created equal...yes, theyre healthier than junk but as much as I loved bananas they had more carbs than what I wanted (1/2 is good).
    My F-I-L who was found to be diabetic 3 months before me has fluctuated between 110-120 and he started off at a much lower # than me (at least by what the little machine indicates).
    He hasn't been able to get it lower than 110 (my husband says his dad probably gets into the kitchen more than he should!).
    MY F-I-L was shocked when he heard my #'s and & at 1st tried to say it was fluke but last week on Tues I was 91, Wed, something like 83 and Thurs 68...that's not just by chance!
    Then this week 2 days ago it was 73, so clearly its not the goof of the meter because that would happen once, not over & over.
    Good luck...I feel for you!
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I was prescribed Lantus when I first went on insulin - I didn't have any side effects and the needles aren't that big and scary. I later got switched to Novolog - no problem with that either. Both were with Metformin.

That being said, it is still possible to come off. It's 15 years after I was first diagnosed with Type 2 -- I have been off Metformin and the insulin for over a year now. I still test fairly regularly, mostly to see what effects certain foods/meals have on my blood sugars

I tend to watch carbs carefully and keep them at about 40-45% of the total - no matter the source (included veggies, milk, candy, snacks and traditionally carb food - bread, rice, pasta, etc) I prefer to eat more fruits and vegetables now instead of the breads/rices/pastas but I have hit a combination that seems to be working pretty well for me
  • GlucernaBrand
    GlucernaBrand Posts: 486
    Options
    What an inspiring story! It's always good to hear that changing your food choices is possible,and that you can manage diabetes even when you've been using insulin. Thanks for sharing! ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • rheannaraye
    rheannaraye Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed as a diabetic about 4 years ago now. I just started insulin in January. When I found out I was going to have to begin taking it, I cried. To me, it signaled failure. It meant that I couldn't do it on my own. That I was "too far gone" to keep from Insulin. I've been on insulin now for 5 months, and I have to HONESTLY tell you that it was the best thing that's happened to me- we're still working on the right "levels" for me, but my A1C has dropped from a 10.7 to a 7.3 and now to a 6.5. I feel so much better! I'm not nearly as tired, my moods are SO much better, and I'm so much HAPPIER. You've been a T2D for many years, and it's understandable that your body would have trouble with insulin --- if your doc suggested insulin to help, trust them!

Don't think of it as a death sentence. Trust me - it may just turn out to be one of the best things possible... It did for me :)
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed as a Type 2 almot 5 years ago and was put on Lantus last September. That was the motivation that got me onto MFP and finally doing something serious about my weight. I was able to stop the Lantus in March and I'm waiting for my next A1C to see if I can reduce/eliminate the metformin.

Yes, insulin is scary, but it is a tool. I found that once I got my sugars under control I felt better. I also started exercising. Both my personal trainer and doctor said that 30 minutes of exercise a day is like 5 units of long acting insulin. If you aren't exercising see if you can start working that into your routine.

One word of warning about being on Lantus and losing weight. As I lost weight, I had to be very aware of my blood sugars and worked with my doctor to determine a protocol for lowering my Lantus dose as I lost. I had to be on the watch for hypoglycemic episodes.

Take a deep breath and exhale. You can live with being on insulin, and you might be able to get rid of it if you lose weight and exercise.
  • KatherineMichelle72
    Options
    Oh I exercise everyday, at least 30 to 45 mins a day... added to that is walking at least 5 miles a week... I just came back from a 5 mile walk now... I have heard thatr some ppl need to eat a bit more carbs in the evenings that usually due to getting low sugars.. so far I have done 2 injections and each day my sugars are a bit better.. this morning they were 145.. the morning before they were 155...
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    My story: I have been type 2 for ten years now. I was on Actos and developed bladder cancer. That was the first time I made an effort to get off meds. I was then on glimpride, victoza, and lantus. I had to switch to bydureon insted of victoza because of health insurance coverage. Only once a week injections but with a bigger needle that left pea size bumps that take months to go away. I didn't know if I could, but I decided that I was going to do everything in my power to get off meds and be healthier. I purchased a book called Diabetes without Drugs by Suzy Cohen, R Ph. Now I am not endorsing this book but it had some very interesting advice in it. I won't go into too much detail, (PM me if you want mote detail) but a fe things I have done:

I drink a green Superfood drink daily, I use Nanogreens. I take her recomended dosage of vitamin D3. Beyond that I have eaten much cleaner, wholesome foods. I excersize more. Since the first of the year I have lost 24 pounds, gotten off bydureon & lantus. The way my numbers look, I should be off glypride soon. I'm not sure what made the change, maybe a combination of everything. All I know is that you can make a big difference by feeding your body what it needs and wants, exersizing, and living a healthier lifestyle. FYI > The treatments were a success and my cancer is gone.

Good luck to everyone and do your best!
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    By the way... My A1c was 6.0 before I stated this program, but I would rather do it without drugs.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    My story: I have been type 2 for ten years now. I was on Actos and developed bladder cancer. That was the first time I made an effort to get off meds. I was then on glimpride, victoza, and lantus. I had to switch to bydureon insted of victoza because of health insurance coverage. Only once a week injections but with a bigger needle that left pea size bumps that take months to go away. I didn't know if I could, but I decided that I was going to do everything in my power to get off meds and be healthier. I purchased a book called Diabetes without Drugs by Suzy Cohen, R Ph. Now I am not endorsing this book but it had some very interesting advice in it. I won't go into too much detail, (PM me if you want mote detail) but a fe things I have done:

I drink a green Superfood drink daily, I use Nanogreens. I take her recomended dosage of vitamin D3. Beyond that I have eaten much cleaner, wholesome foods. I excersize more. Since the first of the year I have lost 24 pounds, gotten off bydureon & lantus. The way my numbers look, I should be off glypride soon. I'm not sure what made the change, maybe a combination of everything. All I know is that you can make a big difference by feeding your body what it needs and wants, exersizing, and living a healthier lifestyle. FYI > The treatments were a success and my cancer is gone.

How exciting that you've lost weight and were able to get off some of your medications. I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago and I'm trying to eat better and incorporate exercise. I would love to know more details about the book you read. My A1C was 11.4 three weeks ago. I have about 100 lbs to lose.
  • cgener2
    cgener2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KatherineMichelle72
    Options

First off, congrats on beating the cancer!!!! Secondly, yes I have looked into treating my diabetes without meds but at the same time I am scared.. I do look into foods and herbs that help with glucose control and will be trying to add them into my diet and am eating way less processed foods now.. I love being in the kitchen creating colorful beautiful healthier foods.. I guess what I have been upset with myself is the fact that it took me so long to take this disease seriously.. and to really firmly make the choice to beat it no matter how hard it it... and to top it off is the back and forth with my insurance coverage for prescription coverage... and limited coverage for ever doctor other than my primary... its making me crazy.. I just went to get my test strips and lancets yesterday to find out.. I dont have coverage, after being told on Friday I do.. I will not get stressed about it but will be on the phone part of the day trying to fix this.
  • raleighgoodwins
    raleighgoodwins Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I was prescribed Lantus a couple of years ago but to be honest, I only committed to taking it regularly about 9 months ago. The change in my A1C and daily blood sugar readings has been dramatic. I used to really struggle to stay in the 6's and the last A1C reading I had in March was 5.3 once I started using the Lantus regularly every night.

I was even able to get off one medication, glipizide, after starting the Lantus.

So listen to your doctor and take the Lantus as prescribed. It will take some trial and error to find the right dosage and like one of the other responders said the "right" dosage will probably be higher than what your doc starts you out on. She has to have you titrate up until you find the right dose. That doesn't mean that you are a failure!

keep at it and you will manage this disease instead of it managing you! Good Luck.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    Congratulations on taking care of yourself and getting much healthier blood sugar management. I really like your quote: you will manage this disease instead of it managing you. Perfect! ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • KatherineMichelle72
    Options
    Now Im feeling so confused.. I have neen taking the Lantus every night, only 20 units, and I know it will need to be adjusted... I was stupid.. I didnt ask the dr if I was supposed to stop take the metformin and junivia but the way he said it all sounded like I was being SWITCHED to Lantus... I have an appt with him on Tuesday morning and I will have to ask him then..
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    Don't be so hard on yourself! Your doctor should have made it clear to you exactly what he wanted you to do with all of your medications. It can get really confusing, and you're not alone in not being 100% sure which medications to take, or when to take them. Most physicians have an emergency phone number you can call during non-office hours so you can be sure you're following his instructions. ~Lynn /Glucerna