half marathon on a busy busy day?

Options
valentine4
valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
This is probably one for the parents out there...

I would love some advice. There is a half marathon coming up which I had my heart set on, my first one was mid march and this one in two weeks can't come soon enough.

But...its on a sunday morning and that evening we have a long awaited concert about 60 miles away. We bought the tickets over a year ago I am taking my two youngest kids ( 6 & 8) they are super excited, its one direction ( am a bit excited myself too) we have a hotel arranged day out the next day planned etc. So a big big mother/ daughters date. I don't want to mess that up by being too wrecked but at the same time I don't want to miss my half.

To make matters more complicated the older of the 2 girls has a feis ( irish dancing comp) that day, she could head on up to it with a friend and then we could collect her and head to the hotel, dump our bags and then on to the concert but I'm aware she is going to be drained after her competition too... I did consider asking the band to change dates lol but can't see that happening.

So any advice? do I skip this one out and preserve my energy or do I squeeze it all in?

regards,

Valentine

Replies

• ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    As you already did one half you can answer this question yourself. How did you feel afterward? Were you wrecked for the whole day or were you up and walking around and feeling fine? If you were wrecked then no, you shouldn't do it, it will be too much activity for one day and you won't enjoy the other events. If you felt good after then go for it!
  • valentine4
    Options
    I was fine the day of it, full of beans but the next day and a few days afterwards I was wrecked. If we were just going up for the concert I would push on but its the fact that we have a nice day out planned for the following day that has me thinking twice...

I am too indecisive! ugh
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    If you are that indecisive, you know the answer!

If you really want to do that half maybe you could just run it, not race it? Slower pace, easier on your body, kind of like a long run ? I know I have a hard time doing that (I want prs!) but some people do races like that and enjoy it!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    This is my dream scenario - long distance run followed by moving my feet the rest of the day. Just go easy.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I know that if I really want to do something, I always find the energy to do it. But then it catches up with me eventually. I would look ahead and see what the rest of your week looks like. If you will have some down time to rest after the whole deal is over, you will probably be ok, but if you schedule is looking non-stop, then maybe reconsider.
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Could you do it yes....would you eventually have to pay up? Yep.

As a mom of 3 club athletes there have been many races where I ran in the morning and then raced to meet up at a soccer field with the mom who had my kids.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I would just run it at an easy pace, then hopefully you won't be too sore afterwards.

I feel you though, I signed up for my first "doubler" weekend (2 races in 1 weekend), as a fun birthday present for myself, not realizing that I was going to end up having to move at the last minute, so now I have a 6 mile race Saturday that's 1.5 hours away, then a marathon on Sunday that's 5 hours from there, and I said I'd volunteer at packet pick-up on the Friday night before the 6 miler, plus I've still got to clean my old house, and work on unpacking my new house. Whew. Oh and did I mention it's also my birthday? Gah, if I survive this weekend, I think I can survive anything.
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Just hit Starbucks on the way to the One Direction concert and you'll be fine. And while you're there, get a coffee for the kid that has feis - that sounds more exhausting than the half marathon.

Live while you're young, baby.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Do 'em both!! when I ran my firs full t marathon last year, I had to get my butt from Toronto to Niagara falls to do a photoshoot literally 2 hours after finishing.

If you can get through your half in around 3 hours, go for it!
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Personally I would skip it. There are lots of half marathons but this looks to be a special day for parent and kids. Sign up for a different race on a less-busy day.

Unless you find that there are no less-busy days. In that case I'd cut down on your kids' activities. You need time for yourself too!
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Pretty much every half my DH and I have ever run involve a very busy day/weekend the rest of the day with kids activities/sports like soccer, gymnastics, plans with friends, bday parties, and then our own commitments as well, etc. There would never be a weekend that would be completely open, like ever. I can usually power through on caffeine alone, but DH needs a nap. We get home around 10ish, he showers and lays down for 1 hour while I shower and get ready, but I'm usually toast by 9pm. If I had to be up late like you will be, I would try to catch an hour nap somewhere during the day and I'd be fine.
  • valentine4
    Options
    Thanks all for the great advice, Karvey29 your upcoming weekend makes mine seem positively relaxing lol, best of luck with it and happy birthday! its a birthday you won't forget in a hurry :)
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I drove from Philly back home to North Carolina right after the Philadelphia Marathon (passenger seat), and I would rather have been up walking and doing stuff all day rather than that!!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    This is my dream scenario - long distance run followed by moving my feet the rest of the day. Just go easy.

Agreed. My first half was the day of my son's birthday party. The party was at a laser tag place and I was glad for the "need" to keep moving (Admittedly moving slowly but still able to put a hurtin on some of the other kids). And the pizza. The next morning I got up and ran a couple of miles and did some stuff around the house but stayed relatively active.
  • s35keith
    s35keith Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Do it! I have a 14 year old that plays travel sports and if I waited for an open weekend I would wait for ever. I did a half last month (PR) in the morning then drove 3+ hours solo to watch him play a baseball. It was tough and I was tired, but he appreciated it and I had a blast at both.