Top 10 words men and women use in dating online profiles

Options
lacroyx
lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2629412/Sweet-female-WLTM-ambitious-male-Scientists-reveal-alluring-words-entice-hot-date-online.html

From the link above:

The words that daters use to describe themselves in their online dating profiles can have a huge impact on attracting attention from the opposite sex, they said.

10 MOST ENTICING WORDS USED BY WOMEN
Sweet +46%
Ambitious +39%
Thoughtful +30%
Spontaneous +30%
Physically fit +22%
Funny +21%
Outgoing +19%
Optimistic +17%
Hard working +17%
Passionate +16%

MOST ATTRACTIVE WORDS USED BY MEN
Physically fit +69% ( 69? I see :devil: )
Ambitious +64%
Perceptive +63%
Passionate +53%
Optimistic +44%
Funny +38%
Spontaneous +33%
Thoughtful +21%
Affectionate +17%
Outgoing + 17%

Replies

• AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Perhaps I look for different things in a guy, but I have to say that 'physically fit' would not be my priority.

Words like thoughtful,passionate, affectionate and outgoing would be more suited to me. :love:
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I found spontaneous and outgoing got my attention. I can be a hermit at times and it helps having someone the opposite of me to help me get out of my shell.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Well crap....I thought I was doing good using "genuine" to describe me. Im def not sweet...more sassy and full of *kitten* id say. Lol!!!
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I find these "one word descriptions" fishy. I never believe them.

Any idiot with a dictionary can list words, but I often find that these words will have a different meaning in someone else's mouth (most women "described as crazy and fun by their friends" are just utterly conventional and boring - can't imagine what their friends must be like...).
    And - probably worse - most of the time, these so called traits are actually not at all defining traits of the person, but they still felt it was important to mention those adjectives in their profile to be more "attractive". So it fails to describe them accurately.

I much rather have someone writing the same idea in a full paragraph, or telling life stories where they displayed the said quality. Same as in a CV really.
  • LGrill27
    LGrill27 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    How about key words from friends or co-workers trying to setup a date.... "she has a wonderful personality"
  • grum84
    grum84 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Well crap....I thought I was doing good using "genuine" to describe me. Im def not sweet...more sassy and full of *kitten* id say. Lol!!!

If I was reading profiles, I would likely pick "sassy" over "sweet" any day. Sweet sounds boring. Sassy sounds independent and willing to have fun. Of course, I look for women who enjoy some friendly banter anyways, so...
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    It surprises me how far down on the list "funny" is. Humor trumps physically fit any day.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    It surprises me how far down on the list "funny" is. Humor trumps physically fit any day.
    In the actual world yes, but not when people are partaking in "online shopping-dating".
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    In the actual world yes, but not when people are partaking in "online shopping-dating".
    I hate that I can agree with you on that flimflamfloz.... totally shopping.
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I steer away from the ones that say "physically fit" because I always think that means they want someone to go running with them---yeah, no, not going to happen .................
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I usually stay away profiles that say "physically fit" or "ambitious". The physically fit ones are usually looking for slim or athletic girls which I am not and the ambitious ones I think of as workaholics. Funny they shouldn't have to tell me they are funny it should come across in their profile.

Outgoing, opptimistic and passionate will usually catch my eye and make me sit up more when reading a profile.