Embarrassing but need help

Options
LD6686
LD6686 Posts: 77 Member
Morning all!

I'm after some help for a embarrassing situation. I've been primal now for nearly 3 weeks. Since Thursday I have been having toilet troubles, very loose and preceded with cramping before having to go. I've not cheated (except for a tiny amount of rice yesterday) not too much dairy, certainly no more than I used to have, lots of veggies etc. I can't explain what the cause is but wondered if anyone else had the same troubles after a couple of weeks of starting. It's getting to the point where I'm scared to even go out! It's not a virus as no one else is sick, no fever etc and it's not watery (cringe - sorry!) just very loose and the cramping. Should I eliminate the dairy totally or is it too many veg or meat or something? Driving me nuts now!

Thanks in advance for any help x

Replies

• Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Have you dramatically increased coconut products? If so, it could be that (it takes a body a little bit to adjust to coconut products or at least it did me). Did you totally eliminate diary then add it back? Or have you been eating diary the whole time? If you have been eating diary the whole time and rice is your only recent change, you likely have an intolerance to rice. I do recommend everyone cut diary for 30 days and see what happens when you reintroduce it! Good luck!
  • LD6686
    Options
    Hi
    I cut dairy for the first week and then added a bit back in but only milk to my 1 tea a day and maybe 10g of cheese if I fancy it. I have started cooking with coconut oil and using coconut milk, but have been doing that from the start of the change. I've oy had the 1 tbsp rice yesterday but the issue started last Thursday. I do eat a lot of raw vegetables and probably too much fat. I'm thinking I may need to cut down on fat and veg and start taking a probiotic to help. Also cut down on dairy. I might even eliminate it totally for a while and just take a calcium supplement. I am bf so need to keep calcium u which is why I started with dairy again.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your diary and I'm not sure where all this fat is that you think you are consuming,to me it looks like your fat is very low.
    Also,your calories are very low for someone who is breastfeeding and even for someone who is not.
    I would think maybe something is not agreeing with you but not sure what by looking at your diary.
    Do you drink a lot of coffee?Coffee can affect my toilet time.
    Also,if you have been increasing things like cabbage,broccoli or cauliflower,this can have the same effect on the stomach..lots of cramps and loose stools..
    I would say that if you were taking a lot of coconut oil orally(in tea/coffee/off a spoon)this could be the culprit but I don't see that from looking at your diary.
    People can be carrying viruses with out actually having symptoms so you could have come in contact with someone who had one.
    Hope it all passes soon :)
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    It could be too much fat for your digestion, especially if you hadn't been eating a lot of fat before. You may need to increase it slowly. A digestive enzyme or apple cider vinegar (ACV) in water with meals may help too. I figure you are eating roughly 75-85 grams of fat per day, which for a person not used to it can be a little much on the body to start.

Although, the thing I see that is most likely the culprit is the almonds. I am guessing the paleo mcmuffin used almond flour, so did the panckes and one other thing on your list. Almonds will make you poop. Lots of almonds in the form of almond meal can give you some pretty strong reactions. Try cutting that out and see if it helps.
  • HaggisWhisperer
    HaggisWhisperer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering whether you may have an issue with FODMAPs. I had many of the same issues as you - which strangely never seemed to be an issue before I went primal - possibly because I am eating far more vegetables now. I think it was a combination of the lower carb (less bulk) plus some suspect vegetable choices. I blamed coconut oil and lower carb eating for a while before I read something about these FODMAP thingies and tried eliminating them to see what happened. I now have a fairly good idea of which ones I can and can't eat - I can eat a lot of them with no difficulty, but there are a few that have a really bad effect on me. The other thing I have noticed is that there seems to be a lot of conflicting information about what are "safe" foods. I just eliminated all the veg for a few days and then started reintroducing one at a time starting with my favourites. I'm trying to lose weight at the moment so I haven't done much in the way of experimentation with fruit.
  • LD6686
    Options
    Thank you for the replies it does help, I try to keep to 1400-1800 cals a day, and keeping an eye on my sons weight gain etc. he is 6.5 months and been weaning since 5 months so his milk intake isn't as high.

I'm not using a huge amount of almonds (the mcmuffin was 2 eggs as the "muffin" and homemade sausage burger). No coffee, the only things I drink are a cup of tea in the morning and 3l of water. I don't drink squash or dizzy drinks etc.
    coconut oil I only use in cooking. Everything I eat is logged, as I want to be accountable and get used to the diet. I do struggle to hit cals target which is why I use nuts etc.

It could be a bug working through. I shall have to just monitor. I have been eating a lot of green veggies which I didn't before. This could be the problem. I am going to cut down on dairy and just eat less veggies until it sorts itself then slowly add things back in.
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Did you start taking any new probiotics? It can take 6 weeks for microflora to readjust.
  • LD6686
    Options
    No, not started taking anything yet
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Try tracking total fat so that you can be sure that you are getting enough. 50% of calories would be a bare minimum though I would recommend more. There is no reason to track saturated fat and no need to worry about going over it either. The whole "saturated fat is bad" thing is nothing but a big LIE.

There is no reason to blame fat for loose stools either and I'm guessing that your fat consumption is a bit on the low side.

There could be so many things going on…. I get loose stools every once in awhile and who knows why (like yesterday) and I also get it when I am readjusting to a ketogenic lifestyle after eating too much sugar. Usually I think it's a gut flora issue and you could try eating lots of fermented foods and bone broth.

If the issue persists and you can't find a reason I'd recommend isolating foods and reintroducing them, maybe as described by the GAPS diet.
  • molly2977
    molly2977 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    A coworkers partner had a similar experience when she went paleo. She found out she had a fructose malabsorption, so the increase in fruits and vegetables was making her miserable. I'm by no means a physician, just something to think about.
  • LD6686
    Options
    I don't worry about fat intake. My macros are set to make site
    I get enough carbs and protein, I'm not fussed about going over on fat. I have to be careful not to go too low on carbs as I am breastfeeding so need to aim for 75-100g carbs a day. I also used mark sissons formula for protein intake. The rest of my calories is mainly fats like avocado, coconut, nuts etc. certainly not limiting my fat intake :-)

I have been a lot better this afternoon so hopefully it is settling down now :-)
  • charleigh78
    charleigh78 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking more coffee? Eating significantly more avocado? I have a very stable digestive system yet avocado gives me intestinal issues. I love it, but it doesn't love me back. When I first went paleo I was eating spoons of coconut oil and that ended up being a less-than-fun experience as well. Good luck.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about fat intake. My macros are set to make site
    I get enough carbs and protein, I'm not fussed about going over on fat. I have to be careful not to go too low on carbs as I am breastfeeding so need to aim for 75-100g carbs a day. I also used mark sissons formula for protein intake. The rest of my calories is mainly fats like avocado, coconut, nuts etc. certainly not limiting my fat intake :-)

I have been a lot better this afternoon so hopefully it is settling down now :-)

How do you know that you are getting enough fat when you are not tracking it? By tracking saturated fat and aiming for that goal you may unconsciously not be eating the total fat you and your baby need. You certainly need more carbs than someone like me but you won't hurt yourself or your baby by being low here and there. (I think your goal is reasonable of course.) Honestly, you won't. I live with Inuit and prior to grains and sugar their diet was fat based and, except for times of food scarcity, they were the epitome of robust health.

The fat is CRITICAL, carbs are not. Looking at your diary, even though you are not tracking total fat, I can see that your fat intake is very, very low. So you aren't worrying about it, but you are eating very little. That's why tracking it would help; you would see just how low it is. Again, you do NOT need to limit saturated fat! You and your baby need natural saturated fats in abundance.

The second most important thing to track is sugar.

As mentioned, your calories are often very, very low for someone breast-feeding, or even just looking after children.