Laces!

Sp1nGoddess
Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,134 Member
I am a total freak about my laces. I always (almost) have to re-lace at least once. Too loose, too tight, can't feel my toes.... heel slipping...

I always lace my left boot first then my right. Then I bend my knees... if one is looser than the other I re-lace. After I skate around the rink a couple times if something is not just right I stop and re-lace. I think I'm nuts!

I have to allow about 15 minutes for my lace ritual before ice time.

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    I sometimes can't get this right the first time. I like to get to the rink with plenty of time to try to get it perfect before taking the ice. And I'm a freak...my left foot is a touch smaller than my right, so I have to tie the left boot extra tight. That one tends to loosen up a bit after about an hour of skating.

What I need help with are boot warmers. My toes were so numb after skating this morning. It seems the colder it gets outside, the colder it gets inside.
  • akaChuck
    akaChuck Posts: 233 Member
    I just got a new pair of skates a week ago and they are half a size smaller than the ones before! Usually I tie my skates once and adjust as they loosen by the end of the session. Kind of plain Jane
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,611 Member
    I'm usually late so I just throw the boots on and tie them as tight as possible. Then I have to bend, bend, bend to loosen them up. My brother was THE WORST. Every competition we'd step on the ice, stroke around and then he'd have to adjust his skates. Drove me nuts.
  • stiobhard
    stiobhard Posts: 140 Member
    It seems the colder it gets outside, the colder it gets inside.

and vice versa.
  • Hawaiiskater
    Hawaiiskater Posts: 2 Member
    I've been like that my whole life. They never feel right, and I re-lace at least once a day. It's just a quirk many skaters have. Some need to warm up a certain way to get in the groove, while others focus more on how their skates feel in order to feel comfortable on the ice.
  • stiobhard
    stiobhard Posts: 140 Member
    I run my index finger over them after I finish.... if they stay in place I figure they are good.... different teachers keep tweaking my method a bit for me.... it all helps. Eventually I will figure it out.