Portion sizes

Options
kglowins
kglowins Posts: 111 Member
Ok, so I feel like I am able to eat more than most people who have had the surgery done. Some days I can eat 5oz of chicken in one sitting without feeling uncomfortable and some days it might be less. But a lot of the posts I'm reading most people say they only have a couple of bites of something and they are done. Is my situation normal? Because I often wonder why it is that I can eat a little more than I think I should be able to (or more than others who have had this done).

Replies

• ockek
    ockek Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am the same way, I have read the miniscule amounts people are posting that they are eating and I am way over that. It does depend on the food for me.Usally if it is something like a casserole type meal I can' eat that much of it.I had my surgery in December, I have slowed down to very little weight loss but I am also close to where I feel I should be.
  • vsg_joanna
    vsg_joanna Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    How long ago did you have surgery?
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I had my surgery 3 years ago. For me it still depends on the type of food it is. I litterally weigh and measure everything to avoid going over a portion size. Denser protein like chicken, pork, ham or steak, 4 and sometimes (but rarely) 5 ounces is about it and I feel full and typically can't eat anything else. Ground meats and those less dense (fish for instance) I find I can eat more (which is why I weigh). I still need things to be very moist or require a broth or sauce. You also need to know that if I over eat, even just one bite, that "over" will come back up, so I tend to undereat by having my 4-5 ounces of protein and then a couple of hours later maybe a salad. Same amount of calories for a dinner, but broken up to avoid eating anything "over" and losing it.

Although our stomachs should no longer stretch, carbs do not give a full feeling as easily as protein does. The chewing breaks them down differently is my understanding, so you can eat a lot of certain carbs before you feel it. For me, bread and pasta are not one of those carbs, bread and pasta fill me quickly which is why I rarely eat them. Can't get enuough protein in with them.

But honestly, a protein shake or a Quest bar can satisfy me as a meal, even 3 years out. So maybe I'm not "normal" for this far out from surgery?
  • kglowins
    Options
    I had my surgery on 4/7/14. I never eat so much that I'm uncomfortable. I weigh everything before I eat. I just thought it was odd that I would be able to eat that much protein at one time. But then again maybe not...
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I am just over 7 months out, and I am still not able to eat very big portions. If I eat meat, 3 ounces is the most I can deal with, softer foods like yogurt, maybe 3/4 cup at the most, protein drinks maybe 8-10 ounces. I haven't eaten too much yet, so I don't really know what that would feel like. I definitely pay attention when people share their experiences about overeating and I really don't want to have to go through what they have gone through! Like pawoodhull, I will err on the side of caution and eat amounts that I know I am comfortable with rather than pushing my limits. Also, I haven't added simple carbs like bread, rice, pasta etc. back into my diet, and I probably won't for a long time, if at all.

Are you making sure that you are eating slowly?
  • kglowins
    Options
    Also, has anyone tried drinking through a straw or chewing gum? Just curious...these were a couple of things that I was told not to do that I miss.
  • garber6th
    Options
    Also, has anyone tried drinking through a straw or chewing gum? Just curious...these were a couple of things that I was told not to do that I miss.
    I was told the same thing, not to chew gum or use straws. I can't think of a good reason not to listen to my surgeon's directions.
  • kglowins
    Options
    I do try to make a conscious effort to slow down when I eat and I do weigh my food. I'm not able to eat 5oz of everything and when I did get that much in it was just chicken, nothing else. Typically, when I eat it's protein only. I do try to squeeze in fruit and veggies here and there but it's always protein first. Like, if I eat a hard boiled egg there's no way I could fit anything else in.
  • garber6th
    Options
    Sounds like you are pretty typical! I think after surgery everyone is different, and everyone has certain things they can handle more of or less of!
  • kglowins
    Options
    Thanks for the info...just curious not looking for a reason to do anything I shouldn't. Just wondered because it seems like the guidelines are a little different for everyone. Curious as to all of the different post-op instructions.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I'm 7 months out and 3.5 oz of chicken is pretty much my limit. Less on some days. I have on rare occasions, used a straw and chewed gum. I am still alive!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I am a gulper and bizarrely drink far more slowly with a straw. Sugar free gum has sorbitol which can cause your stomach to dump food faster which also spikes hunger also some people swallow gum. I use a cup measure to portion my food so I don't become accustomed to eating more than I should. Even at a restaurant I make a fist and portion my food to match that volume. A sedentary person with a normal BMI gets 3 portions of non processed food the size of their fist every day. The more active you are the more you can have. I am very careful with "slider" foods-foods that slide right thru allowing me to continue to binge. Cottage cheese has to be carefully portioned for me as well as barbeque.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I asked the same thing to my Drs and was told that every one is different - the standard answer lol. Like why I have more difficulties post-surgery with foods than other (ex: I cant eat salads/ leafy green, lactose intolerance, stomach cant tolerate mushrooms, I can eat 4-6 oz of yogurt with no problems while others cant, but they have no problems with sandwiches, but I do)

Like others said it may depend on they type of protein you eat and what, if anything you are eating with it (for me shredded chicken I can eat 5 or 4 ounces but not chicken breast that I can only eat 2 or 3 ounces). You even pointed out that some days you cant eat as much - so even from day to day it will vary.

I wouldn't worry, just follow the eating plan you were given and trust your Drs and medical staff. :happy:

Edited to add: PS I'm over 1.5 years out.
  • jogawa15
    jogawa15 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I use a straw my doctor never told me not to chew gum but I am not a gum chewer. I remember at my last dr visit I had a cup with a straw and literally all 5 patients in the office were scolding me about the straw when the dr stepped out they asked him and he said if you want to use a straw use one. I drank from a straw even right after surgery he told me no harm. Is there a reason we shouldn't use a straw?

I have very tight restriction at meals I also measure but never finish I always stop a few bites before full I do not like the tightness when my stomach is full. I have learned that every doctor is different you have to listen but also decide what are your deal breakers and how to stay on track it continues to be a work in progress.

Some people say no protein shakes but I find one a day helps me stay on track

Good luck on your journey
  • teachren
    teachren Posts: 78
    Options
    I am a year out from surgery.

I chew sugarless gum and drink through a straw occasionally. I find the gum helps me stay occupied when I am bored and would otherwise reach for something to nibble on. My surgeon said it is fine. He's done over 3000 VSG surgeries so I think I trust his judgement. I understand others counsel us to stay away from gum so you'll have to make your own decision on that one.

I remember when I was just about 2 months out or so I swallowed a piece of gum inadvertedly. I went on OH and asked for what to do...oh my god...people were freaking out. Telling me I would have to go to the hospital and get my stomach scoped...blah..blah...blah. One woman said I need to go to the ER right away as I could have it lodged in my sleeve and die. I was hysterical and my husband told me to drink water and I'd be fine. I hate it when he is right!

I emailed my surgeon, he responded promptly and told me to stop worrying, drink some water and I would be fine. He was quite amused by some of the responses I got from the VSGers on OH.

I'm a year out and I find portion size varies. I try to stick to under 4 ounces of dense meat, like chicken or pork tenderloin. When I splurge and have a rib steak (yuuummmmy) I try to cut around the fat and usually manage 4 ounces without a problem. I will have that with some sauteed spinach or mushrooms, nothing else.

I agree, measuring and weighing my food was the best way to maintain portion control for my first 10 months when I was hard core losing. I am a little more lax now...but should probably remain more vigilant as I enter maintenance.

Play around..see what works for you.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    OMG I can SO relate to how you are feeling!! I saw all of these "I can only eat 2 bites" posts and thought there was something wrong with me!! LOL I am able to eat 4-5 oz of protein at once. I like fattier meats, so to keep my portions smaller (3oz) and still feel full, I have added in a half cup of cooked veggies. It has worked beautifully! I do not regularly eat carbs. I eat mostly protein and veg. Every once in awhile i have a few crackers with cheese or have a few croutons on my salad if I am eating out. I do weight an measure-- mostly to avoid wasting food-- because my eyes are often WAY bigger than my stomach. Also, it helps me not to overeat mindlessly. If I only have 3oz of chicken on my plate, I can eat it and not worry I will be too full.

I use a straw and do not find it to be problematic. I also chew gum occasionally. Again, no big deal.

You are only 6 weeks out-- it is possible you will feel more restriction later, as on another forum it was suggested you are not fully "healed" at 6 weeks. IDK.

I am with you on not wanting to feel uncomfortably full. I have not eaten to the point where I experienced a "revisiting of the meal", but there were a few times when I ate too fast and got verrrry close. YUCK. I do NOT like that feeling at all, so I do all I can to eat mindfully.

For me, it has been hard to not compare myself to others, but then I remind myself this is MY journey. I am eating FAR less than I did prior to surgery. I am eating high quality food and I get to eat to live, rather than live to eat. I feel a great deal more freedom than I used to when it comes to food. I am not a slave to my stomach and its demands. :) Overall, I am thrilled--- so I choose to focus on what I need to do for me (protein first, veggies at least once per day, etc.) to take care of my health and let the weight do what it does.
  • actg95
    actg95 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I don't do it often, but they said a straw is most imporatnt for the first few months. It is because air gets in our stomach with the drink. The support group I go to doesn't think it is a forever thing -- if it doesn't bother you.
  • actg95
    actg95 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I am not the eat two bites person either. It does depend on the food for me, and oddly, the day. Somedays I seem to be able to eat more than others with no idea why. I just roll with it. I figure if I am eating the right foods, and the NUT is happy, that is good for me and should work in the end. :)

Have great sucess - and most of all - be happy!
  • happydales
    happydales Posts: 10
    Options
    I was told not to use straws because you take in too much air. I am a gum chewer and enjoy a piece every now and then. Nothing bad has happened to me.

I am one of the 2 bite people. I can barely eat enough before I get nauseous. It's a constant battle.

Laurie
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    kglowins, I was able to convince my nutritionist that I get less air in my tummy using a staw than not. That's not the case for everyone. Air in the tummy is very uncomfortable which is why they tell us to avoid chewing gum and using straws. I would recommend waiting until you are like 6 months out and try a straw. If that works talk to your bariatric team about it. Same with gum, just don't try them at the same time as you won't be able to tell if both are issues or just one, you know?