Happy Monday, Warrior Women!

Options
suejoker
suejoker Posts: 317 Member
So, I was looking forward to running around the city with my new Fitbit One today, but last night I got really sick. I thought I was just tired from all the activity and maintaining too steep of a calorie deficit but, just when I was falling asleep, I realized I had a fever and my throat had that familiar "knives poking at tonsils" feeling that I've had when I've gotten tonsillitis or strep throat.

All day I'd been ravenously hungry and ignoring it, because I figured it was just because I hadn't slept well enough. Since the pain & fever were keeping me up, I ended up getting up and having the first real food binge I've had in 133 days! I defrosted some shrimp & onion chee cheong fun & steamed pork dumplings I had in the freezer, while I was reaching for a mango mochi to soothe my throat. Then, I topped it all off with 2 of those Godiva truffles that Ben brought me for Mother's Day! I ate all of that (about 800 calories) in under an hour. Then, I finally went to sleep.

I was mortified, when I woke up this morning. Of course, the binge registered on the scale as a pound gained, because my body is super sensitive to sodium. I logged the food on yesterday's food diary to see the damage in black and white. Really, it was just another maintenance day. It probably wouldn't have showed up on the scale, if I hadn't picked sodium laden Chinese leftovers as part of my pain reaction binge. I may just give myself 1 maintenance day/week, because I've not been getting enough calories to support my new level of activity.

I hope your week is starting off better than mine. I'm hoping this illness will only derail me for another day. Go, Warrior Women!

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Feel better soon, Sue!
    I may just give myself 1 maintenance day/week, because I've not been getting enough calories to support my new level of activity.

I think this is a good idea. I've kicked up my calories somewhat to respond to exercising, and yesterday I was ravenous until I ate my potatoes at dinner (I really do think I was craving the nice, carby potatoes). While I've been whining a bit about eating too much and getting back to plan, my concern is that I've been eating some hard to track stuff and probably not logging enough for it, not letting the calories respond somewhat to the increased exercise levels, which I think is sensible.

I'm having some issues too, because one knee--which was bothering me when I was walking around after my run, but not so much later, so I think it might be shoe-related--is stiff and sore this morning. Not that bad, although painful every time I get up after sitting for a while, but definitely not possible or sensible to run for at least a day or two, and I'm a bit worried it might interfere with my strength training tomorrow (focus on arms, chest, and back, I guess). I rode my bike today rather than taking it easy simply because riding seemed easier on it than walking.
  • gunshyangel78
    gunshyangel78 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It happens Sue, I'm up 2lbs from this weekend. I wouldn't say it in public, but I am finally figuring out I stress eat when hubby is home. I don't think he means to stress me out but he does. He's an civil engineer, totally into every single little detail of things which drives me crazy, and I finally figured out that if I eat he leaves me alone. He's also told me my weight doesn't bother him, all of the women in his family are large, and I think he's unintentionally sabotaging me, by planning tasks we "need" to do every weekend, which interferes with my food preparation time and we basically end up eating junk because I'm too tired to cook.

Focus on getting well and you will drop the weight again, you are remarkably active, a total inspiration for me to get my butt off the sofa.

Lou
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Well, Warrior Women, life does throw those challenges in our paths, but I'm glad that we are figuring out what we need to do to stick to it! Ooops, time for Zumba class! Which, btw, I've prelogged so I HAVE to get there on time! Take care of yourselves everyone, first and foremost and the weight loss will come! It's all good!!
  • suejoker
    Options
    Thanks for the support, Beautiful Warrior Women! I took an Uber ride to Whole Foods and stocked up on recovery food. I'm chilling out with chicken noodle soup and watching MASH episodes.

Stephanie, that's smart to bicycle to give your knees a break. Thanks for supporting my idea to give myself a maintenance calorie day/week. I think I'll give it a try. If that doesn't work, I'll just add 100 calories/day.

Lou, that's tough to feel sabotaged by someone in your own home. I'm sure you'll figure out how to manage that--perhaps it's time to talk to hubby about how he can support your weight loss?

Susan, you are so smart to pre-log your exercise! I've done that a couple of times and stopped because the nagging in my head was too loud until I completed the exercise. Hopefully, you're not as neurotic as I am:)
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm back from Zumba and just read your suggestion, Sue, about logging time accurately and adjusting the calories burned. I like that idea! Then all I have to do is check my exercise log for minutes/hours done for the week. Today, it was raining most of the day, so decided it was the perfect day to put in some extra hours to at least make an attempt at logging 12 hours this week! I did have an hour in the garden, transplanting tomato, onion, brussels sprouts and amaranth seedlings in a drizzle, actually perfect transplanting weather! I did another hour of Zumba and an hour of a Lifetime Fitness class. So chalking up 3 hours total for the day!

Sounds as if you are taking really good care of yourself Sue! Hope you wake up in the morning feeling lots better!
  • crawlingfish
    crawlingfish Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi Warriors,
    mind if I jump in late?
    the goal of this group for the next two weeks seems like something I want in on... the picture of Michonne really did it for me as well :)

Today was my day for laps/lifting at the YMCA, so that's an hour of freestyle, half an hour of sprints, and an hour on various machines. will also walk the dog before the day is over, but at the pace he prefers I'm not really sure that counts as exercise haha
  • Peacockbutterfly
    Peacockbutterfly Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hello Warrior Women! I had a pretty productive day and have not been able to sit down for long. I have logged 129 active minutes today including 60 minutes on the treadmill plus I did a shortened session on my total gym for 15 minutes so I'm at 144 minutes for today! I walked a little extra for Sue since she isn't feeling well.

Crawlingfish I'm glad you joined the group!

Tomorrow I'm hoping to do cardio for 90 minutes because it's my day off from work. I have to see how my knee is feeling tomorrow before I decide for sure.
  • amethyst70
    amethyst70 Posts: 68
    Options
    OMGosh Sue! Hope you feel better soon! And here I was whining about stupid crap. Sorry I just read that your not feeling well.
    I walked 7 miles today which is 2 more than goal so I must have been contributing to your walk time too.
    I think your week of maintenance plan sounds good too. I look to you for guidance and inspiration as I feel you know what works for you and what doesn't, so I am sure you know what is best to get you back to 110% this week!

I logged 206 minutes today between walking & lifting. Usually I drag *kitten* getting started but this group has me motivated to get moving so thank you all!
  • suejoker
    Options
    Wow! You ladies are the best! So kind of you to exercise a bit extra for me, while I recover from what I hope is just tonsillitis. My fever broke this afternoon, so I think I'm working my way back to wellness.

Tonya--7 MILES! That's great! My standing record is 5.5 at one time. And, 206 minutes of exercise today?! You are rockin' it! Oh, and I was just talking about having 1 maintenance day/week, not a whole week of maintenance. I think that a whole week would really throw me off. I still have 32 pounds to get to a maintenance point.

Rachael--you are such a doll to put in a little extra cardio for me:) While lying in bed eating ice cream, I cheered all of my Fitbit friends.

Crawlingfish--Welcome! Any friend of Michonne's is a friend of mine:) She has my dream body. I don't know if I'll ever get there, but my grandma always said you have to have a dream!

Susan--3 HOURS?! Once the reluctant warrior, you are now leading the charge! We might have to get you a long sword like Michonne's! I just found out my best friend from college (who's also from Maine) is coming to visit this weekend. She kinda looks like a blonde Michonne.
  • LosingItWithGod
    Options
    I am sorry you wasnt feeling well and had a bit of a binge. Its a NEW day! You have been doing awsome everything is balancing out like you said. I think our body crave more when we arent feeling well. I think it is awesome you have went so long without a binge. I'm glad your fever broke. I pray you feel 100% by the end of the day or sooner.
  • LosingItWithGod
    Options
    I go to nutritionist today for weigh in. I'm going to leave early for a walk and the rest I'll do tonight I hope 120 mins here I come.