New to the group

Options
Good evening everyone!

Here's a bit about me:

I am 28 and a mother of two boys ages 10 and 1. I've struggled with my weight my entire life. I've lost and gained many a times and I'm finally ready to break the cycle. I'm the heaviest I've ever been and I just know that I need to improve my health or I am not going to be able to enjoy my children or life the way I want to.

I just recently started my journey to WLS (specifically sleeve gastrectomy) 2 months ago. I've visited with a nutritionist attended one out of 4 WLS seminars that are required by insurance, I've been to 1 of 2 psych evals that are also required. I have quite a few more appointments to attend (nutritionist, doctors, etc) before I hopefully get the surgery in the Fall.

I've read quite a few of the recent posts and have found you all to be sooooooo inspiring!

I'm here looking for support and I would LOVE to hear your stories.

Best,
E

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! I have to say, the advice from people in this group, and just hearing their stories, has helped me SO much over the months. I hope everyone here including me can help you too!
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group. Our stories are similar in that my surgery likely won't be till the fall either. I find this site extremely helpful and supportive. There is such a wealth of information on the site and people are very friendly and helpful to answer specific questions. I look forward to following your posts and your journey.:flowerforyou:
  • shoerack45
    shoerack45 Posts: 30
    Options
    Welcome! I am new too. I found this board late in the process, as my surgery is on Monday. I am glad I found this board.
  • relentless2121
    Options
    Welcome to the group. I am fairly new on here as well and will hopefully have my vsg surgery in the fall. I've learned so much this past week as I've been coming on the site daily and even making some friends. People on here are so very helpful. I look forward to reading your posts and learning more about you as well. Once again, Welcome. :flowerforyou:
  • EdmiraRiv85
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the warm welcomes!! I definitely look forward to getting to know you all better. Feel free to send me friend requests. The support is certainly appreciated. :)
  • jkern9110
    jkern9110 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! You will love this forum. I have found it to be more helpful than the other ones I sometimes look to for support. People on here are so genuine and really just want to provide feedback and gain feedback on experiences. My tip to you as a newbie: My biggest battle post surgery was trying not to compare myself to others who had undergone WLS. Eventually, you have to realize that you are unique and that you're situation is different. Also, the diet prescribed by your physician may not be the same as those of others. Before you change your diet from what was outlined, talk with your physician or his nurse. They may have a different perspective and be able to tell you if they think that will work or not for your situation. Still, be open to new ideas, because this isn't one size fits all. You can take tips and tricks of some and make your daily routine (both food and exercise) all your own.

Protein, water, and exercise! Those are the big three to worry about. I feel like i have a good handle on my protein and water intake, but I'm still struggling with making exercise a priority. I'm 8 months out and 83 pounds down with about 52 to go. I'm not perfect and have had my mis-steps along the way, but I've learned each time. I love my new lifestyle and don't regret my decision to have VSG at all.
  • EdmiraRiv85
    Options
    Jkern9110,

You're so right, I think my biggest battle will be comparing my situation with others. Thanks for the input. It's definitely something I will begin to work on! Also, I've already been trying to up my protein intake and... It. Is. HARD!! It's super difficult to eat as much protein as I should be taking in. But I suppose it'll be easier after I get the surgery.

Again, thanks so much
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    What I have learned from all the personal stories here is that the envelope of experience is very broad. While I doubt my story will unfold the same as anyone else, knowing that a lot is possible, I hopefully won't fret too much. Especially the first stall . . .
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Im just glad to get any nuggets of info i can so i can go into this with eyes wide open. The stalls are the most good info to me as i fixate on numbers and get upset when any effort i put forth doesntnhave results so knowing what to expect will help me from panicking.
  • relentless2121
    Options
    jKern :smile: Thank you so very much for your imput. I'm months away from surgery and find your posts very informative and encouraging. I really like what you said about one size (or program) does not fit all. Thanks for sharing your journey and encouraging the newcomers. :flowerforyou: