coeliac disease

lexialegend
lexialegend Posts: 4 Member
Hiya

I've been told by my GP that I might have coeliac disease (their in the process of doing test), it's where you're not just intolerant to gluten but your body attacks it when it gets into your body, damaging your small intestine, immune system, causes bloating and sharp pain and can cause bleeding and infertility.

Obviously this scares me, I had the pain, bloating and bleeding and my immune system which used to be grand is now severely lacking. Normally its misdiagnosed as IBS symptoms are very similar and they come and go.

Just wondering if anyone else has coeliac and how they cope with a gluten/wheat free life?

Replies

• My father & daughter have Coeliac Disease but my Coeliac screen came back negative.In order to help her with maintaining a gluten free diet & keeping diabetes stable,I went gluten free also.I suffer from psoriasis & discovered being gluten free has greatly improved my skin. & find I suffer problems when gluten is eaten.I have since been told I am gluten intolerant.There are many gluten free alternatives available these days,some not as nice tasting as others but cost more than standard food. Warburtons GF range are good & a lot of supermarkets sell their own free from products.
    Once you have been diagnosed I would advise you to join the Coeliac Society,They will send you a book telling you what products are gluten free.Depending on your age you may be able to get some GF items on prescription.Downside to the diet is having to read all labels & gluten is hidden in all sorts of products but you soon learn what you can have. GF alternatives are also a bit more calorie dense. I can add you as a friend if you want to know more.
  • lexialegend
    lexialegend Posts: 4 Member
    Awe thank you so much for replying to my post, my results came back thankfully I don't have coeliac just regular IBS, still hard to live with as they won't test for individual intolerance so eating is a minefield at the moment; just trying to find what doesn't fit well with my body, still cutting out as much gluten as possible because my body doesn't like it.
    Sad to hear about your dad and daughter having it but I commend you for being such an awesomely supportive mom and cutting out gluten to help things along for her.
    When I was on a gluten/wheat hunt I was shocked to see how much products have it in, its totally unnecessary sometimes as well.
  • patioq
    patioq Posts: 22 Member
    Unnecessary! As in gluten in Pork Skins!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Awe thank you so much for replying to my post, my results came back thankfully I don't have coeliac just regular IBS, still hard to live with as they won't test for individual intolerance so eating is a minefield at the moment; just trying to find what doesn't fit well with my body, still cutting out as much gluten as possible because my body doesn't like it.
    When I was on a gluten/wheat hunt I was shocked to see how much products have it in, its totally unnecessary sometimes as well.

If you don't have celiac disease, you might benefit from a FODMAP diet to help your IBS - google it or search the StanfordHospital.org site. Newest research from the Digestive Disorders Week conference in Chicago last weekend talked about how some people with what appears to be gluten allergies may have a sensitivity to certain kinds of carbs. Fermentable Oligo-Di- Monosaccharides and Polyols

The FODMAPs in the diet are:
     Fructose (fruits, honey, high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), etc)
     Lactose (dairy)
     Fructans (wheat, onion, garlic, etc)(fructans are also known as inulin)
     Galactans (beans, lentils, legumes such as soy, etc)
     Polyols (sweeteners containing sorbitol, mannitol, xylitol, maltitol, stone fruits
    such as avocado, apricots, cherries, nectarines, peaches, plums, etc)

Worth looking at: http://stanfordhospital.org/digestivehealth/nutrition/DH-Low-FODMAP-Diet-Handout.pdf
    You might want to check with your gastroenterologist.
    Liana
  • fattybumclaire
    fattybumclaire Posts: 91 Member
    I agree with Liana,

I cut gluten out of my diet about 3 years ago but still had some symptoms (greatly reduced though), I cut out dairy last year and the difference is fabulous - I still think there may be an issue with eggs but they are such an important part of my life I can't consider that at the mo lol. Certain veggies such as raw cabbage in coleslaw can really affect people with IBS.

There are lots of recipes and advice on Pinterest if you just search for fodmap. If it is too daunting to cut everything out at once just aim for gluten first.

Good luck.
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    I am going to see my doctor about coeliac disease. After years of suffering with minor digestive issues that seemed big enough to be irritating but not so big to complain about, I decided to eliminate gluten and see how I feel. Then doing some research, I found a link between undiagnosed coeliac disease and stillbirth (which I experienced five years ago) because of the autoimmune inflammation component of the disease. So I'm right there with you, it's definitely a little scary. I guess the one good thing about the disease, is that once you have a diagnosis, you are mostly in control; unlike other diseases where you just have to take handfuls of pills and ride it out hoping for a cure. Hang in there!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    I am going to see my doctor about coeliac disease. After years of suffering with minor digestive issues that seemed big enough to be irritating but not so big to complain about, I decided to eliminate gluten and see how I feel. Then doing some research, I found a link between undiagnosed coeliac disease and stillbirth (which I experienced five years ago) because of the autoimmune inflammation component of the disease. So I'm right there with you, it's definitely a little scary. I guess the one good thing about the disease, is that once you have a diagnosis, you are mostly in control; unlike other diseases where you just have to take handfuls of pills and ride it out hoping for a cure. Hang in there!

If you are going for tests, it is imperative that you have been doing a 'gluten challenge' for a while (your Gastro/MD should be able to tell you how long) or you may test negative for celiac disease even though you have it. It is horribly uncomfortable to keep up for a period of time as you will be getting symptoms, but I would journal all that as well, to help your gastroenterologist. I hope you find the answer to your health issues - if it is celiac or gluten sensitivity/intolerance, you are 'lucky' because we can control it & heal without meds - just diet adjustment. Good luck - let us know how it goes...
    Liana
  • sbusarah
    sbusarah Posts: 163 Member
    I was diagnosed with celiac on 5/1/2012 after a misdiagnosis of IBS several years earlier. My systems are still improving but are much better. I spent a month researching gluten free diet and began the life style on 6/1/2012. At first its overwhelming but with time and if you focus on a balanced diet of naturally gluten free things like veggies, fruit and meat its not bad at all.

Good luck to you!