Love your body AND lose weight?

Options
Hi everyone - I joined today and am curious how those who follow a HAES method also balance weight-loss. My biggest struggle is feeling that because I practice body-acceptance and honestly DO love my body, I'm being a hypocrite by wanting to lose weight.

My primary reason for wanting to lose weight is I have PCOS and want children in the future...I want to lose enough weight to have my periods come back naturally, without medication.

Fitness wise, I do yoga & jog regularly and food wise, while I eat fairly well, I sometimes do not listen to my bodies cues and tend to indulge in more sweets than I'd like. I think for me now, it'll be revving up my fitness a bit more and paying attention to how many sweets I enjoy. Adding more veg/fruits too, especially as snacks.

Thanks for your ear & ideas <3 R

Replies

• cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    sometimes loving your body is doing stuff to help it function better for longer?

I started here a few weeks ago because I want to avoid medication (for high blood pressure) and am taking the approach that loving my body is including being more conscious of how I nurture it. I've gotten really into cooking healthy! It's super fun :) I exercise more and yeah...I have to admit that I am starting to feel physically better as I lose a bit of weight slowly but I am also kind of scared that my body is changing, etc.

I guess you can say that I am ambivalent about weight loss too, but trying to focus on the positives, I am not hungry or denying myself food either.

Feel free to friend me if you want.
  • bah_bug
    bah_bug Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I don't think is it hypocritical, at least, not necessarily. But it can be a very fine line that is very hard to walk, and it requires a lot of self-awareness, and a lot of (for lack of a better phrase,) self-care.

Right now, having just started using MFP, I find myself going back to Kate Harding Fantasy of Being This a LOT. ( http://kateharding.net/2007/11/27/the-fantasy-of-being-thin/ .) Re-reading it, reminding myself. I also refer to her Reality v Realism piece ( http://kateharding.net/2007/10/29/reality-vs-relativism/ .) Not to discourage myself, but to remind myself that the success that I'm looking for won't be a number on a scale. That it's okay if I "go over" my calories. That when I have days like yesterday, where I hate everything and don't weant to leave the house, ever, and just want to curl up on the couch and eat cream covered pasta, it's okay.

My goals *include* a minor weight loss, because my cardiologist asked nicely. In reality, though, that's not what I'm really measuring. I'm food logging more to make sure I'm eating enough, and not falling into dieting traps that I've fallen into before. I don't own a scale, and I don't intend to buy one - the scale at the doctor's office is the only one I'm trying to please. Instead, my goals are increasing exercise, and increasing quality of nutrition - things I can set specific incremental goals for, and measure and succeed at on a consistent and non-arbitrary basis.

(for reference, the things I'm using as guides are these:
    100 Day Experiment
    http://us4.campaign-archive2.com/?u=34dc5132814738edbc8d54294&id=734a28d7eb
    Exercise Ladder
    http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/exercise.html
    and walking beyond what I do for work and transportation, working up to every day. Eventually I'll do a C25K.)

The one thing I would be careful of, in your case, is being conservative about the changes expected as regards weight loss and PCOS. I'm not a doctor, and I don't have it, so your experience trumps anything I have to say, but my understanding is that the hormonal changes that cause amenorrhea are more likely to cause weight gain than be caused by it. That is, PCOS causes weight gain and missed periods, and losing weight might not necessarily have any effect on your amenorrhea, because the PCOS doesn't go away. I'm also fairly sure, if memory serves, that PCOS makes the body more resistant to losing weight. PCOS may make it so that your periods never come back without medication, and that sucks, but it's NOT a failure, or a sentence to a life of barren childlessness.

I do know several people that have gotten pregnant even with PCOS, and one or two that can't, and I do know that weight, in and of itself, has no bearing on whether or not someone can get pregnant. If your /doctor/ is presenting weight loss as the solution to your PCOS problems - well, that's your doctor. I'm just some schmuck on the internet. But I'd be awfully suspicious.

On the other hand, more exercise IS correlated with heavier periods, so that may be your key. And again, that's measurable, and something that you can succeed at - providing you're using things like increased endurance, increased repetitions, increased time, increased flexibility, etc. and not just whether your periods come back - in a measurable and non-arbitrary way.
  • Michelletbrown
    Options
    I'm not sure if it's hypocritical - also not sure if it matters. I mean, it's your body, do what you want with it.
    Also, if you think you can take better care of yourself by tracking your intake and exercise, then that's your path to health. In my case, I have habits that don't make me healthier, and if I track my intake, I'm less likely to engage in those habits. For example, I'm not a sweets person - left to my own devices, I'd probably have ice cream twice a year. My husband loves sweets and loves to share, and I'll say yes even when I don't particularly want them, and then I'll feel gross (like physically, not emotionally. Lactose and sweet things make my mouth and tummy unhappy). When I'm tracking, I'm more mindful of what I actually do and don't want, which leads to me feeling healthier and more comfortable.
  • new_boots
    new_boots Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's hypocritical. You have medical reasons for wanting it; it's not because you think you can't be healthy or happy if you don't hit some number on the scale or fit in a certain size pants.

As for the PCOS, I echo what Bah_bug said. I have it myself, & the ob/gyn who diagnosed me almost did cartwheels just to hear I was able to lose 6lbs because she said it was so difficult for PCOS'ers to lose. She described it as your body thinking it's pregnant & wanting to hoard weight. It took years for someone to diagnose why I wasn't having periods, & had gained so much weight, though I blamed myself for that. The doctors I was seeing did too though, so no one bothered to look beyond me being fat. It took me years to find someone who cared enough to listen to the fact I only weighed 125lbs when it started. At 5' 4" No one could say I was overweight, especially since 10lbs of that was probably boobs & back in high school a good part of that would have also been my perm.

I discussed the fertility issue with my current ob/gyn last year, & he never suggested I lose weight, although when I brought it up he said that could help. It's nice to have a doctor who listens to me & takes my problems seriously without just seeing the fat & not feeling the need to look any further.