FitBit or FuelBand??? Or are they even worth the money?

Options
I lost 100 pounds almost 6years ago and I used the Bodybugg, I absolutely loved it! I am debating if I should purchase either of these devices. Just wanting to know what others thought?????

Replies

• jenbroussard71
    jenbroussard71 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering about this myself, in for the responses.
  • jolene_CO
    jolene_CO Posts: 48
    Options
    I use a Jawbone UP band, which is the same concept as the FitBit and FuelBand. It tracks my activities and uploads my steps to MFP, which is convenient. It also tracks my sleep quality, which I need for other reasons. It's light and convenient, so I don't mind using it as a tool.

As a runner, I occasionally end up with something hurting - a foot, a knee, a shoulder. I like to be able to look back and see if there was something in my running that might have caused it (stride length, too much of a single terrain, e.g.). The UP band helps with that evaluation.
  • newlife6745
    newlife6745 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have both a Fitbit Zip and a One. They are great for walking &/or running. However I still use my HRM because I am also strength training. I like them both because they can be clipped in your pants or bra or pocket. I check it frequently to see how many more steps I need to make.

The Fitbit Zip is the least costly. I bought mine and Walmart after I thought I lost the Fitbit One. The One also tracks sleep, steps, stairs, etc. If you only want to challenge yourself with the steps then the Zip is probably the least costly option. I also love the Fitbit site.
  • daisy7870
    daisy7870 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit one and I love it! I have daily goals that help me stay on track. It helps to sync it with MFP to stay even more on track. I also like the competition aspect of how trying to beat the total steps of my friends.
  • NCPhotoMom
    NCPhotoMom Posts: 12
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Flex and highly recommend it. You can add friends and join groups similar to how we have joined groups on here. It'll rank you each day based on how many steps you've taken compared to your friends so if you're competitive like me, it definitely motivates you to move more. It also is great for syncing with MFP automatically so I don't have to worry about logging it.
  • praevalere
    praevalere Posts: 24
    Options
    My gf and I both have fitbits. She has been using hers for at least a year and I used mine for about 2 months. She loves being able to track her steps, and I know when she gets close to 10 or 15k for the day she will do a little around the house to make sure she evens out that number. So it can be motivating to some people. Some of the more useful tools are all the tracking devices that come with the program--such as inputting food (which you can sync with MFP I believe), other non-step workouts, tracking goals, with the right scale it syncs your weight automatically, etc. All that being said, the Fitbit is not for me and I no longer wear mine. It tracks your steps, but that is about it (and it often gives you extra steps depending on how you move your arms). 10k leisurely steps are not equal to 10k hard running, or even medium jogging. Or on days when I had lower steps but actually did more--say due to a hard lifting workout, or moving things around the house/garden (or anything that requires less walking), then my daily readout would show a low number. The next step then is to input what else you did that day manually (as I mentioned above, I do not care to do that every day), or when you glance at it on a graph it looks like you did nothing that day, which is inaccurate.

Overall: I would suggest just using a journal to log your workouts and then buy the Fitbit weight scale.
    http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1791448/Fitbit-Aria-Wi-Fi-Smart-Bathroom-Scale-Black.jsp?ci_mcc=ci&srccode=cii_328768002&cpncode=35-208711105-2&CID=shopping20