I climbed a Mountain Today

Options
julieworley376
julieworley376 Posts: 444 Member
Of course you know I didn't climb one literally. I have written before about how I love lunchtimes, how quiet it is, no one around, good book or magazine and great food. It is very hard to tear me away from lunch but I decided today I had to do it. I left it till the last minute, but set out with 15 minutes to go before being back at work to walk the parking ramp.

It is 80 degrees today. As I am walking down the ramp I see people out on the sidewalks walking. I think to myself, I could walk out in the fresh air and sun too. So I head out. I see the Federal Courthouse to my left, work maps say it is .75 mile around the whole thing, three quarters of a mile. Its' hot. But I find myself gravitating that way one foot in front of the other.

As I am crossing the street a woman who clearly means business is striding purposefully in the same direction as me. Jacket tied around her waist, tiny strap sleeves, she is swinging her arms and walking. I follow her. As we walk she is staying in sight but gradually drawing away, that's okay, I will be like that too next summer, one step at a time.

I am coming up to the path that cuts through the compound for the public. I can go that way, or, I can commit to the whole way around, no going back. I put one foot in front of the other, and one step at a time I keep going. Gradually I am getting out of breath, I begin to cough up fluid, I try to concentrate on how beautiful the blossom trees look on the courthouse lawn and I keep walking, one foot in front of the other.

I round the corner to the home stretch, it is hot, the front of my shins above my ankles HURTS, I am sweating, I don't have a phone with me. I could sit down on the wall but I don't have the time left. No one will rescue me, nothing to do but put one foot in front of the other, again and again. I keep moving, I tell myself that gradually, before I know it, I will reach our buildings parking lot and cooler air. It is so hot. last summer I would have never gone outside in this heat, I had untreated severe sleep apnea and I was a mess.. I would have been sleeping in my lunch room. instead, I am walking, one foot in front of the other.

Finally I make it to the lot, as I cross the street again a gust of cool air brushes past me, it is bliss. By now I feel I haven't got the energy to get back to my desk. I reach the elevator and a girl is just entering, I dive in. I made it. I get back to our floor, walk in our office.. I have been gone only 16 minutes.

No one driving out on those streets knows it, no one out there walking knows it, all they saw was a 300+ pound woman pounding the pavement one step at a time, they don't know what I was doing, they don't know how it felt or what it cost, they don't know they were watching something just as monumental as someone winning a gold in the Olympics.

I climbed a mountain today, putting one foot in front of the other.

Replies

• debunny34
    debunny34 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Julie that is fantastic!! We all can relate, and that is how we all need to handle these struggles we are going through, one step at a time. :smile: You made it up and over that mountain!!! Congrats to you for taking those steps and making it!! You are doing great!
  • lindabeth333
    lindabeth333 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Fabulous Julie - I felt like I was walking every step with you! Excellent job!
  • tishtash77
    tishtash77 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!! And I so look forward to reading the post one day where you tell us you out walked that other lady, cos it will come ;) x
  • KarenZen
    KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing the view from your mountaintop! It's spectacular.
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I am outside right now reading this feeling like I was right there walking with you! Way to go!
  • EjSings
    EjSings Posts: 13
    Options
    We definitely need to celebrate every victory on our journey's and I am celebrating with you on this. Way to go, girl!
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!!!
  • Sandyslosenit
    Sandyslosenit Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    :sad: As I read this I was crying my eyes out !!!!! Fantastic !! I can imagine the determination, will, strangth, accomplishment, and pride you felt !!! You do deserve a gold medal for this achievement !! Congratulations :flowerforyou:
    Blessings!!!!!!:wink:
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Wow! That was so well written I'm tearing up. Major kudos to you, babe! I remember how hard it was when I first started...today I had so much pent up angsty aggressive energy, I had to do my shuffle-jog interval stuff...hard to explain, but it is easier on the knees and shins.... I could never have done that when I started! Your mountain is inspiring me to find and climb a mountain myself!

P.S. Just in case of true emergency, take your phone with you and/or make sure one co-worker knows the path you intend to take... (HUGS!)
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    OMG I am soooooooo freaking impressed. You have definitely encouraged this incredibly cute somewhat chubby lady from Wisconsin to get her big *kitten* out there and walk..

but you said more than that....way more than that and my heart heard it. Like a lil whisper...an inkling....that says "she identified YOUR fear" and survived it and so can you. I guess this means, if YOU can address your fear....then I can..

.....................more later
  • BodyByChipsAhoy
    BodyByChipsAhoy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I loved the descriptive way you wrote this. Very proud of you for this accomplishment!!

~Becky
  • PatrickB_87
    PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Julie, you owned it today. Next time you'll go a little bit further, a little bit faster. Soon enough you'll be walking any distance you please.

When your ready to really climb a mountain come out to California and we can both climb Upper Yosemite Falls. It's a lovely 9.4 mile round trip with an elevation of 6,936 feet, with a gain of 2,969 feet. It will take us 6-10 hours round trip but its the mother of all stair-master workouts and at the very top you can take a nap on one of the big rocks in the middle of the river stretch out in the sun as you does to the sound of rushing water making its way to the waterfall.

I've only done it once when i was in highschool and it was an amazing walk.