Bored & fizzling out. What now?

Options
Can't explain it well, but here goes.
43 F
5'8"
CW 224
Goal 170

Love SL But I'm bored with it.

Want to see more upper body changes other than strength.
Scared to pick something else because don't want to lose SL strength.
Too ignorant to find a good plan for what I want.
Considering ICF 5x5, but still feel it will be lacking in isolations.

Goals are
Lose weight sooner than later
Pullups by end of summer
I want more back, ab and bicep definition.

I realize nothings going to pop out at my BMI but I want something to start showing.

Does anyone have a good split they could suggest that still incorporates the compound moves?

If not, can someone help me figure out what accessory work I can add to get the most benefit?

Considering one of my goals is a pullup by end of summer, I need something that is an 8-12 week program that will help me reach this goal.

Replies

• FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    following to see responses and program suggestions
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at Wendler's 5/3/1 program? If you are bored, there are countless variations for 5/3/1 accessories.
    http://blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator

If you are trying to lose weight and see definition you are going to want to stick to a mainly compound routine to preserve muscle. You may want to try varying your compound movements instead of isolation accessories if you are bored.
    And of course, your diet needs to be the priority for weight loss. I briefly scanned your profile and diary. Have you considered using a TDEE approach rather than 1200 cals +exercise? I found it easier to just set a calorie goal and not eat back exercise.
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options
    I hope you get some good responses my friend. No fizzling. :-)
  • amethyst70
    amethyst70 Posts: 68
    Options
    Have you looked at Wendler's 5/3/1 program? If you are bored, there are countless variations for 5/3/1 accessories.
    http://blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator

If you are trying to lose weight and see definition you are going to want to stick to a mainly compound routine to preserve muscle. You may want to try varying your compound movements instead of isolation accessories if you are bored.
    And of course, your diet needs to be the priority for weight loss. I briefly scanned your profile and diary. Have you considered using a TDEE approach rather than 1200 cals +exercise? I found it easier to just set a calorie goal and not eat back exercise.

Thank You!!! I will look into Wendlers. I am seriously considering the TDEE approach as well. If I do TDEE, I basically take my TDEE and subtract a 20% deficit and just eat that amt everyday. Right?
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Thank You!!! I will look into Wendlers. I am seriously considering the TDEE approach as well. If I do TDEE, I basically take my TDEE and subtract a 20% deficit and just eat that amt everyday. Right?
    Yep. 20% would be pretty aggressive. You'll have to find a "balance" you're comfortable with, weight loss vs. lifting performance. I struggled with that. Patience cannot be overstated either.
  • amethyst70
    amethyst70 Posts: 68
    Options
    Yep. 20% would be pretty aggressive. You'll have to find a "balance" you're comfortable with, weight loss vs. lifting performance. I struggled with that. Patience cannot be overstated either.

Patience is what I lack. Lol. Thanks for the help!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Can't explain it well, but here goes.
    43 F
    5'8"
    CW 224
    Goal 170

Love SL But I'm bored with it.

Want to see more upper body changes other than strength.
    Scared to pick something else because don't want to lose SL strength.
    Too ignorant to find a good plan for what I want.
    Considering ICF 5x5, but still feel it will be lacking in isolations.

Goals are
    Lose weight sooner than later
    Pullups by end of summer
    I want more back, ab and bicep definition.

I realize nothings going to pop out at my BMI but I want something to start showing.

Does anyone have a good split they could suggest that still incorporates the compound moves?

If not, can someone help me figure out what accessory work I can add to get the most benefit?

Considering one of my goals is a pullup by end of summer, I need something that is an 8-12 week program that will help me reach this goal.

Check out All-Pros for one example of an alternative to a 5x5. AP will still have you squatting 3xweek but in slightly higher rep ranges and multiple intensities throughout the week.

Regarding changing your method of intake, I would caution you against going to a calculator to determine intake needs IF you already have accurate logging/tracking data to go off of.

Just for example if you've been logging for several weeks you're better off looking at that data and making adjustments to it compared to going to a calculator to re-do your intake. Often times the latter of the two results in significant intake changes.

Let your current set of data guide you to the right decisions.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Being able to do a pull up was one of my initial strength goals. You can use resistance bands to assist, or do negatives, until you can do a strict, honest pull up. You can also do chinups because they are easier. You will need a great deal of strength to do a strict pull up at current weight. Be patient and consistent, and you'll get there. I did.

A couple sets of pull-ups can be added to SL without fanfare.