Supplements/remedies

Options
SoCalWoman
SoCalWoman Posts: 2,384 Member
Thought I'd start one separate thread to discuss supplements. I know the other thread has discussed protein powders, etc...but thought this could be a discussion dedicated specifically to symptom relief and how you cope with that via supplements (or otherwise)

So far I'm not taking much other than melatonin for sleep and vitamin D and a probiotic which *really* helped with my stomach/gut issues. I'm interested in maca, dhea and any non prescribed remedies you all are using and how they've helped. Thanks!

Replies

• Nillalis
    Nillalis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    i used to have something similar to restless legs syndrome so had pain in the legs in the evenings mainly when sitting watching tv and also in bed trying to fall asleep. sometimes pain was so bad i had to take painkillers to sleep. I didn't have problems every day but about 4 days a week. some months it could be better others worse.

Then when i started LCHF diet it got worse and also had cramps so i searched a LCHF forum and found that taking magnesium could help with cramps. so i did and to my joy the restless legs thing also disappeared.

As soon as i forget the magnesium for a week the symptoms and pain returns so I'm never ever gonna stop taking that its such a nice feeling to relax in bed and not keep shaking moving the legs to make it less painful.
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I take maca daily. If I don't take it, I will have serious hot flashes the minute I climb into bed. It has worked wonders for me. I feel like it gives a mild mood boost also.

I take both melatonin and magnesium. I have cut way back on carbs, so with that the fluid loss caused leg cramps at night. Magnesium took care of that the first night I used it. Melatonin I take because I work 12 HR rotating shifts. I need all the help I can get falling asleep.

I have a crazy loooong list of supplements I take actually! Lol!
  • Nillalis
    Options
    i looked up maca and as my hot flashes is getting slowly worse i think I'm gonna go to the health store today and have a look maybe even buy and try

thx
  • dmariet116
    Options
    It's one I will not do without! I take 1000mg every morning.
  • Nillalis
    Options
    bought it so any recommendation on how to take it, i bought a powder so not tablets. How long did it take for you to feel a difference and does it matter if you take it morning or evening .

;) thx dmariet116
  • SoCalWoman
    Options
    I'm going to try maca as well.
    Magnesium sounds like something that might be helpful for me as well. I have noticed some leg cramping lately.

Thanks ladies!
    Hopefully others will chime in too
  • dmariet116
    Options
    bought it so any recommendation on how to take it, i bought a powder so not tablets. How long did it take for you to feel a difference and does it matter if you take it morning or evening .

;) thx dmariet116

I take 1000mg in the am and it is an energizing herb so morning would be best. You can take twice a day, 1000 mg each dose if you like, but 1000 has worked for me. You should notice some relief in hot flashes within a week. It may take a month or so to really get the full effects. The energizing and mood boost you should notice the first day or 2.

Let me know how it works for you! Happy to share! :-)
  • dmariet116
    Options
    I'm going to try maca as well.
    Magnesium sounds like something that might be helpful for me as well. I have noticed some leg cramping lately.

Thanks ladies!
    Hopefully others will chime in too

Yes, magnesium is wonderful for leg cramps! It also has the added benefit of promoting more restful sleep and is best taken at bedtime along with a calcium supplement. Or buy a supplement that contains both!

Good luck and keep us posted!
  • Nillalis
    Options
    on the stuff i bought it says to take 1 heaped tbs each day so about 10-15 grams. that would be 10.000 milligrams i think ?

must be different concentration or ?
  • dmariet116
    Options
    Not sure since I take capsules...but the dosage on container would be what I would go with!
  • screwmenopause
    screwmenopause Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    wonderful info gals! thank you so much!
  • jreneecal
    jreneecal Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great info...only occasional hot flashes so far but now I know what to try when they get worse.
  • josparkle
    josparkle Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this info - I get the restless legs too but had never put it together with menopause ( I really must read more on what I'm in for!).
    I've been looking into MACA and think I'm going to try that but when I took magnesium in the past it gave me bad heart palpitations so I think that might need a trip to the Drs before I try that again. But thanks for sharing the tips - really love learning from you all.
  • dmariet116
    Options
    Thanks for this info - I get the restless legs too but had never put it together with menopause ( I really must read more on what I'm in for!).
    I've been looking into MACA and think I'm going to try that but when I took magnesium in the past it gave me bad heart palpitations so I think that might need a trip to the Drs before I try that again. But thanks for sharing the tips - really love learning from you all.

Yes always consult with your Dr if you don't feel comfortable taking a supplement or have a bad reaction. Its quite possible your other electrolytes were not in balance which might have resulted in the heart palpitations.
  • josparkle
    josparkle Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    That's interesting.

i was prescribed the magnesium along with zinc to try to deal with diminution of smell/taste after a blood transfusion from an emergency c-section. So it is entirely possible that my electrolytes, and many other things, were out of balance.

I gave up the zinc as it turned out to be something to which I'm allergic but I persevered for a while with the magnesium before deciding it wasn't worth the panic everytime I tried to take it. The smell/taste thing was eventually chalked up to toxic shock and has never improved but of all the senses they are the easiest to deal with being damaged, and I'd rather have my son in any case.

I have a check-up coming up so MACA and magnesium have gone on my list of things to discuss.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Peri menopause, could not function due to lack of sleep - waking up 15 times a night with hot flushes was the norm.... had all the blood test and the Dr said its "probably time".... Tests are a little low on testosterone, but "nothing to worry about" yeah, right, he's not the one walking around like a very hot zombie....

Did some research and bought DHEA - have been taking it for two months, hot flushes almost completely gone, (maybe a mild one once per night - maybe...) brain functions a little better, and had my first period in almost 10 weeks (not sure if it's got anything to do with that or not)

Had a slight rash for a few days in the beginning, but other than that, no side effects whatsoever....
  • dmariet116
    Options
    I use a DHEA cream also. I started with tablets but read that since its metabolized through the liver most is not absorbed. Lot of good info available regarding DHEA!
  • SoCalWoman
    Options
    This is all very helpful. Thanks ladies