Memorial Day "Murph"

Options
NCSteveVH
NCSteveVH Posts: 85 Member
In honor of Memorial Day and our veterans, our Box is doing the "Murph" Hero WOD on Monday. For those of you not familiar with the Murph, it's a 1 mile run, 100 pull-ups, 200 push-ups, 300 squats, and another 1 mile run. I'm planning on breaking it into 10 rounds of 10 pull-ups, 20 push-ups and 30 squats. Anyone have experience with the Murph? Sounds brutal....

Replies

• pkiesch
    pkiesch Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    No, but I'm planning on doing it this year, too. Hope you kick *kitten*!!
  • NCSteveVH
    Options
    No, but I'm planning on doing it this year, too. Hope you kick *kitten*!!

Thanks -- for my first time doing it, my goal is to merely finish it before the burgers get cold and the beer gets warm!
  • bully_lady
    bully_lady Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Holy hell! That sounds beyond brutal!!
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    done it many times and with a couple of variations... Last time was on a team of 4 and the guys ran the first mile then we had to split up 100 c2b pull ups, 200 parallette pushups, 300 overhead squats and the girls had to run the second mile.

I typically break up the pullups, pushups and squats into 5, 10, 15. It's a little bit more work to keep track of your rounds but switching quickly between movements makes it go by easier for me.
  • alysa521
    alysa521 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    This year will be my third Murph and it’s definitely one of my favorites. I also usually do 20 rounds of Cindy, 5 pull-ups, 10 push-ups and 15 air squats. However since push-ups are my weakest of the three movements I often switch to 5 pull-ups, 5 push-ups, 15 air squats, 5 pushups in the later rounds. This allows me to shake out my shoulders more and make sure I’m getting chest to deck every single rep on my push-ups.
  • NCSteveVH
    Options
    I typically break up the pullups, pushups and squats into 5, 10, 15. It's a little bit more work to keep track of your rounds but switching quickly between movements makes it go by easier for me.

Hmm, I like this approach better than the 10 rounds of 10/20/30. I think breaking it up more often will help me get through it. I'll just make sure I have 20 poker chips to help me keep track of the rounds...
  • FWMagicMike
    FWMagicMike Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Good luck man, I know for me, I just hope I wouldn't lose count :P

have fun with it and stay hydrated :drinker:
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    This will be my first year doing it..I have no strategy as yet...Will see how it goes

Good luck everyone
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Our box is doing a fundraiser this weekend for Murph, money raised will go to a local Veterans Support charity. I have not done this WOD before but I was actually planning on splitting it into 20 rounds (5-10-15) just because my pull ups and push ups are not as strong as I want them yet.

Good luck!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I am planning on doing it Monday. Hasn't been announced yet but it's likely.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    And confirmed. Hoping I can do it in an hour or less.
  • FWMagicMike
    FWMagicMike Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    the box I go to is offering the "Murph" free of charge to the public to honor Michael Murphy, the fallen SEAL hero.

I want to give it a go with a weighted vest,

I wish you all the best of luck, and when you crack open a cold one, you do it for those who have served and do serve.

:)
  • NCSteveVH
    Options
    the box I go to is offering the "Murph" free of charge to the public to honor Michael Murphy, the fallen SEAL hero.

I wish you all the best of luck, and when you crack open a cold one, you do it for those who have served and do serve.

The Murph in a weighted vest?! Now that's impressive. I'm just hoping I don't have to go to the bands on my last dozen pull ups. Like Boston, I'm shooting for under an hour and doing it without scaling any reps.

And yes, I, too, will be thinking about all who have served and are serving our country.
  • kota4bye
    kota4bye Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Yep, we're actually doing it next Saturday, a bunch of our coaches are in Korea for regionals right now.

I've never done it, but I'm liking the 20 round approach for my first go.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    nobody's told us we're doing it but i give it a 75% chance. i don't even care about the stuff in the middle. i got that. i wish they would let you break the miles down too haha. i just hate running and the last mile is going to make me hurl.

they did Cindy on Monday and I did it on my own because i missed the WOD and it was fine til the end. it had a 800 m run buyout and i felt terrible on the 800 so i can't imagine how bad a mile will be.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I've done Murph with a 2 mile row (as running is often out due to injury)

It's hellish, but there are worse WODs out there. Barbara made me throw up, for example.

Murph is a maximum DOMS generator - good luck all of you!

PS> In the UK, no Memorial Day here
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    My box is doing it saturday (or sunday as a rain date). If they do Sunday I could do it time-wise, but I'm not sure I could even run a mile. Also I'd have to scale everything.

But hey, it's a Hero wod, so I'm going to try if it's moved to Sunday.
  • bostonwolf
    Options

The Murph in a weighted vest?! Now that's impressive. I'm just hoping I don't have to go to the bands on my last dozen pull ups. Like Boston, I'm shooting for under an hour and doing it without scaling any reps.

And yes, I, too, will be thinking about all who have served and are serving our country.

A 40lb vest is considered RX if I'm not mistaken.

I will be doing ring rows and might end up doing push ups from my knees at some point. My goal is just to keep moving. I think the 5-10-15 split will probably work best.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I am going to be doing Murph for the first time with my box on Sunday. I may only do a half Murph ("Murphette") and I will be scaling and breaking it up into Cindys as I do not have strict pull up or push ups yet.

I am a long distance runner so I am not anticipating the running will be a problem.
  • shaypearl
    shaypearl Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'm Murph'ing on Monday. I'm not looking forward to it. We did have a guy finish in 33 minutes and some seconds today. I know its going to take me over an hour.