Just got my Vivofit yesterday, and am loving it

Options
KadenSmile
KadenSmile Posts: 45 Member
Hey,

I just picked up a purple vivofit from the Mountain Equipment Coop (MEC) in Vancouver, Canada, and am finding it to be great... I didn't get one with a HRM, because I used to have a different brand of HRM and found it to be horribly uncomfortable... but this little "watch" is so much cooler than I had expected... and it even helped motivate me to get out in the rainy Vancouver weather this morning and walk before the streets got too busy.

The sleep thing was especially neat, last night I got up once, and was a bit restless before waking up, and the graph showed that, which was super insightful (at least for me).

I also really like that it has the auto setting for goal calculating, and that it makes realistic goals for me to work with... yesterday I walked more than my goal, so it upped it today, and I'm looking forward to seeing what the number will be tomorrow, since I beat my goal again today.

The only thing that kinda annoys me, is that it doesn't sync via bluetooth to my older iphone (iphone 4), so I have to do it through the computer, then that syncs with the app on my phone... but I guess that's a small price to pay for such a cool toy...

Feel free to share your thoughts on the product too...

Replies

• Jen0414
    Jen0414 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Mine should be here tomorrow, I CANNOT wait!
  • ann121212
    ann121212 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I bought mine with the hrm. It is the first one I have ever used. I know when I am wearing it - but I would not say it is uncomfortable - more like just a soft pressure. The elastic backstrap is soft, the clasp is easy, and all corners are softly rounded. I imagine in a few weeks I wont even notice it at all.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Mine is at my in-laws in America, waiting for my husband to get it and bring it back to me in couple weeks. I am going nuts waiting for it! I got the hrm bundle and I've never used an hrm, but am very excited to use it on runs. I'm almost dreading the sleep part. Last night I was out of bed probably 8-10 times (1x for child, other times for sick older cat and mostly for baby kitten running amok)--my sleep will probably be terrible, except for all the steps I get at night, lol!

Update? So, how's it going after a couple days now?
  • ann121212
    Options
    Jen - has your unit turned up yet? Any news on the holdup?

Laura - what is you opinion now that you have been using your vivofit for a while? Does it make a difference to your daily routine?

I am happy with my selection of the vivofit - it has made a huge difference to my daily exercise. I no longer sit and read for 3 hours straight, I will break it up into 50 minutes segments with at least 10 minutes walking between. I will also push for the extra few hundred (thousand) steps to reach a goal (eg 19,100 steps HAS to go over the 20k for the day :smile: ) I am still finding hidden reports in the garmin connect site, which is good, its keeps my interest high.
  • Jen0414
    Jen0414 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I just picked it up this morning! I cannot wait to go home and set it up. I am already confused though. HAHA
  • ann121212
    Options
    :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

Great news - I remember the feeling of waiting weeks for it to be released in Aus. I picked it up the first day it was in stock locally.

I am sure you will find it worth the wait.:drinker:
  • fyoung1111
    fyoung1111 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Heart Rate Monitors

I've always been amazed by the reports I read about how much people HATE heart rate straps. Because of my bench marketing experiments, I frequently wear two at once and have been spotted on rare occasions wearing three (Ant+ for the Vivofit and other Garmin gadgets, Polar H7 for the Loop, and a 60 Beat BLE for the iPhone.) I don't find them particularly uncomfortable. I do find the fancier Garmin ones to be unreliable. The HRM1G that comes with the Vivofit bundle is super reliable.

If you are going to do exercise other than running and walking and you want to get appropriate calorie expenditure credit for it, a HRM is a must. It's a lot easier and more accurate to strap one of these puppies on that it is to do a bunch of manual exercise entries. If you really, really hate the strap, MIO makes a wrist based HRM called the Link that costs as much as your Vivofit but reputedly works quite well.

The other thing that the HRM + Vivofit combo does for you is it "marks" a period then they are linked as an identifiable "Activity" in Garmin Connect so you can give it a name, label it with a type of exercise e.g. cycling and see the calorie burn associated with it. Unfortunately there is a bug in GC right now that pretty much insures that the calories associated with an activity will be off (sometimes way, way off) but they are working on that and, I am sure will have it fixed soon. In the interim, the calories you read off the Vivofit itself are accurate all of the time.

Despite GCM options like "Automatic Activity Detection", there is presently no way to record an activity without a HRM.
  • ann121212
    Options
    You can manually add an activity. Connect (Activities) will give you a blank form - just add data in the appropriate boxes and save.