Check in for week of May 21-27, 2014

Options
ker95texas
ker95texas Posts: 304 Member
Happy Wednesday to all our beautiful (and handsome) members!

Another week, more successes... Tell us about them :flowerforyou:

Replies

• 53welshlady
    53welshlady Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Morning all - well it's morning here - 8.15 a.m.

Beautiful day so far, but as there is a bank holiday coming up it will all change tomorrow and rain is forecast for the next 10 days or so.

Managed a nice little run before work, there was a lot of mist around so quite spooky in the park, but my big German Shepherd wasn't bothered by it and enjoyed rolling in the wet grass. Fine until we got home and she wanted to dry her wet head between my legs!! This was my first run since last week but I felt OK, even did a few little sprints. Breathing isn't as ragged as it has been, thanks no doubt to my spin classes at the gym.

Chuffed that this morning I could put on a lightweight pair of beige linen trousers that I had washed and ironed in anticipation. Haven't been able to get them near me for 2 years! Makes such a nice change from boring black.

Plan for the rest of the day is work, where I am now, then gym on my way home, eat, walk dog and bed - what a life!!

Hope you all have a good day.
    Jen
  • retiredholly54
    retiredholly54 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Happy to report that I'm down 2lb even though it was a tough week. I think it was due to all the support, encouragement and just seeing that I was not alone in my struggle - especially my peeps who hate exercise - no offence to those that are addicted to it (Charlie) lol . What I came to realize this week is that slow and steady may not win you the race but it will let you finish it without you wanting to drop dead at the end of it. I also learned that even if you can't dance, you can dance - I just close the curtains.

Hugs to all:laugh:

Holly
  • Fig_1946
    Fig_1946 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hello! I just joined a few minutes ago. I hope to give and get support here. I'd like to shed about 10 pounds...it's hard! I've already lost 80, with a lot of work.

I'm a vegetarian, and very strict with my eating habits...small portions and all that...lots of water, etc.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you.
  • hayleyandpaigesgrandma
    hayleyandpaigesgrandma Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Welcome Bartholomew. You should find a lot of support here.

I have a challenge to throw out here for advice! We are going to Medieval Times show on Sunday. I have discovered that the meal consists of 1318 calories. I can cut some of it down by not eating the full amount. My question is, can I bank some calories if I eat a little less each day before we go. What do you think?

Last night I only lost a quarter pound. Joyce
  • ker95texas
    Options

I have a challenge to throw out here for advice! We are going to Medieval Times show on Sunday. I have discovered that the meal consists of 1318 calories. I can cut some of it down by not eating the full amount. My question is, can I bank some calories if I eat a little less each day before we go. What do you think?
    Joyce
    I've seen a number of members (successful) who average out the calories per week and/or have a cheat meal or day on a weekly basis, so I would say yes :)

Hi Barthalomew! Welcome to the Jungle! Hope to see you become active in our little group, and wish you continued success and a huge congrats on the 80 pounds you've already lost! :flowerforyou:

I'm a bit disappointed this week with my one pound loss, to be honest. I feel like I'm fighting these two few pounds for WEEKS, but <glaring at belly> I WILL prevail!!:angry: Been telling myself that it will catch up next week, and that's it better to lose a pound than to gain a pound (or two), and that my clothes are fitting better, but still disappointed. Oh well, it's just a week:ohwell:

I ordered a set of resistance bands that arrived last night. So far I've opened the box, but hope to try them out (starting at the kindergarten level) today. Decided to order a set because Rick tells me he'd like to do some weights but has no desire to go to the gym. This might be an alternative for him as well.

Love reading about everyone's week - the good, the struggles, and the TERRIFIC! Way to go, everyone :drinker:
    -ker
  • jjjbkkkk
    jjjbkkkk Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Haleyandpaige's....I think it's kinda like at work, you can add time each day and leave earlier on Friday and still have an 80 hr. week. So, in my thinking, if you eat less each day, and a little more on one day, for the week it still keeps you at your goal for the week. But, you're not allowed to carry it over into the next week. Does that make sense?
  • jjjbkkkk
    jjjbkkkk Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm down 3 pounds this week, total now of 5 gone!
  • Claud1313
    Claud1313 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Holly - If you can walk you can dance. Music does wonders to keep us moving. There's that saying "Dance like nobody is watching". You are doing so well on this program.

Welcome Barthalomew - Did you lose the 80 pounds as a vegetarian?

Ker - Don't let the scale bother you. Easier said than done. I used to let it make or break my day. Think more about the fantastic weight loss that you have achieved and how your clothes fit now. You are one of my big inspirations in this group.

Claudine
  • Claud1313
    Options
    Joyce, Do what you can. Be conscientious of how much you eat that day. It will all balance out in the end. Enjoy the festivities.

Claudine
  • retiredholly54
    retiredholly54 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Holly - If you can walk you can dance. Music does wonders to keep us moving. There's that saying "Dance like nobody is watching". You are doing so well on this program.

Claudine

Claudine - I can't even walk at the moment - shin pain - guess I overdid the dancing on Monday. Will find other ways to burn calories and do exercises that work out my legs.

Thanks for the support,

Holly
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Ker: I haven't gotten my band yet. Is to be delivered tomorrow, I think. Are you going to do that SparkPeople video? We can compare notes. I really need to tone!

Everyone: Do any of you do workouts or go to the gym through Silver Sneakers? I know that a lot of people don't know about it or realize what it is, so humor me if you all do. Silver Sneakers is for those on Medicare through their supplemental insurance. You can join classes and fitness centers free of charge! If you travel, you can use it at fitness centers where you are. 65 different supplemental programs participate in the program Silver Sneakers. I'm not old enough yet (close and can't wait for it to save me $184 a year), but I know that a huge number of people at my local fitness facility have full access and are there everyday and get their memberships free! The center holds lots of Silver Sneaker only fitness classes, too. Here is a link that will explain more if you don't already know about it. https://www.healthpocket.com/medicare/silver-sneakers.
  • Claud1313
    Options
    Holly - Sorry for your pain, I used to get them from improper walking. Just follow the advice from Charlie and gnt.

Charlie, just an FYI, Unfortunately, my supplemental BC/BS does not cover Silver Sneakers, I was so looking forward to it and very disappointed when they told me they didn't cover that.

I've tried some Sparks Videos (with Coach Nicole,) they are approx. 10 minute segments, most were doable, some were too hard, as far as too much jumping and fast. They were harder than Leslie Sansone but it all in all it was a good workout and a change from Leslie. I also have Latin dance video, that turned out to be a little disappointing.

Claudine
  • Wooken3
    Wooken3 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    As a charter member of the "I hate to exercise club" I had tried walking, joining the gym, DVDs, even jumping rope but didn't stick with any of them. So 3-years ago when I haul the 20-year-old bike in for a tune-up, the family just smiled.

The first bike ride was two miles with a stop for coffee at the half-way point. I slowly increased my speed and distance and soon was forcing myself to bike anytime something was within 10-miles. I also purchased a "Granny Bike" with a heavy frame, fat tires and a tractor seat then added two rear baskets for hauling and a lighted vest for night riding (off-road paths only). Back then if you had told me I would be biking ~300 miles a month and loving it, I would of laughed. :happy:

Please don't give up on exercising -- keep trying different exercises till you find the one that fits your lifestyle. A friend does hula hoop workouts -- who would of thought of that? :noway:

I did finally reached my goal of losing 50 pounds last November only to put 10 back on due to diet. Maintenance ain't easy folks -- I love to eat a bit too much! So my daily battle with the fork continues. :sad:

fiets84.gif

Major wins for the past week:
    -- Weight loss of 1 pound
    -- Biked 125.7 miles (average speed of 10.1 mph)

Challenges for the coming week:
    -- Move biking time up to 7am to beat the Phoenix AZ heat (notice a trend here?)
    -- Reduce bread intake and make better choices at restaurants.
    -- Start reading the "You can't out-exercise a bad diet" sign now posted on each kitchen door as well as the refrigerator door!

Good job everyone and have a great week. :flowerforyou:

“Don’t wait until everything is just right. It will never be perfect. There will always be challenges, obstacles and less than perfect conditions. So what. Get started now. With each step you take, you will grow stronger and stronger, more and more skilled, more and more self-confident and more and more successful.” ~Mark Victor Hansen
  • hayleyandpaigesgrandma
    hayleyandpaigesgrandma Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Sure does. I will try to keep my count at 1000 or slightly less until Sunday. My total here is 1200 per day.
  • CrisEBTrue
    CrisEBTrue Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

Welcome to the group, Bartholomew!!!

Not much news here.. I'm still plugging away!!! :laugh:

Has anybody got plans for the upcoming holiday weekend?
  • ker95texas
    Options

Has anybody got plans for the upcoming holiday weekend?
    We're heading to the lake tomorrow afternoon, with folks joining us Friday evening and Saturday morning. SO many activities planned... as long as they include laying around, sitting around, boating around, swimming around, etc..... :glasses:
  • jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone...all doing SO WELL!

Had a wonderful timei in Venice ... lots of steps but also lots of food and wine...and all delicious!

Am next to Lake Garda now for a couple of days and managing a pre breakfast run while I am here - by the lake, the weather is beautiful and yesterday we went to Verona which after my 5k run in the morning added up to over 21000 steps.....hoping the damage will not be too bad when I get home next Tuesday......

10383589_10203023018433891_6854798708634796606_n.jpg

Early morning run by the lake.....oops...photo is all to one side...don't know why so here's a different one....

10374878_10203018463880030_8003049583878658058_n.jpg

Jean:bigsmile:
  • jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Guss the photos are too big so only half appears..... never mind...at least they give you some idea...lol:ohwell:

Jean
  • bvifun
    bvifun Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

This is late as it is after midnight here but it must still be Wednesday somewhere.

First I would like to thank you for all the support I got last week when I was feeling so negative. That put me back on track and I got rid of that funk.

I lost weight this week. :happy: 1.8 pounds. That is .8 for the amount I put on last week plus another pound for this week. Best of all that meant I reached another of my mini goals. My BMI is now less than 25. Yes!!! As a reward I got a small Moringa tree and, if I do not kill it with my purple thumb, I will have some leaves for my tea. I am also looking forward to trying the leaves as a vegetable. My next mini goal is to get within 5 pounds of my goal weight.

It has been an interesting week. The first half I had energy and little pain so did lots and got out lots. On Saturday I was at our animal shelter and saw a teeny orphaned kitty. I impulsively offered to foster her (or him). She is 3-4 weeks old. She has been awfully ill and I decided if she was going to die it would not be of dehydration - not on my watch! That meant hourly feeds of pedialyte by syringe. Less during the night but still that is why I am up writing this in the middle of the night. :yawn:

Since Monday I have had a lot of fatigue and pain but this has meant I can spend the time cuddling the itty bitty kitty. It also means eating whatever is easy and not always the best balance of foods.

I hope you all have a healthy and happy week.

Wanda

Ps does anyone know why my slider does not show up?
  • sandiebro
    sandiebro Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Wanda - Congratulations on your Normal BMI!!! That's where I am hopefully heading.

Felt unwell yesterday so didn't really feel like eating. Hopefully I can be more normal today. Weighed myself this morning (couldn't resist) and down another pound.

Lovely photos of Lake Garda, Jean - the lakes in Northern Italy are so beautiful.