1st time pregnant and seeking support

Options
go_getter89
go_getter89 Posts: 23 Member
I used to be in great shape until a little over a year ago I fell off the wagon so to say. The last few months I have been trying to change my lifestyle habits. I just found out I am 5 weeks pregnant unexpectedly but happily. It does explain a lot the last week I have been having weird cravings for red meat (I have never been a big fan and rarely ate). For like 2 days all I ate was a total of 5 chocolate bars, which is unusual. Now that I am aware I want to keep on my healthy eating path but with these weird cravings how do you overcome? I try to snack on fruit or water till it passes and I end up giving in. I am not that far along and do not want to gain much weight unless baby weight. Can anyone help?

Replies

• Binky_Muffin
    Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I would speak to your health care provider in regards to your diet. They will be a good source of information.
  • roxannemezzapesamulder
    roxannemezzapesamulder Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I would suggest working the cravings into your daily calories. Usually just a small amount will do of whatever it is you are craving. Eat it slowly and distract yourself with a walk or something that requires being away from the food.

Right now is not the time to diet though. You should at least be eating maintenance level in the first trimester if not adding an extra 100 calories.
  • katey_my_lady
    katey_my_lady Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Welcome to pregnancy and all of the weirdness that follows. Like you, I've been wanting to maintain a healthy diet, and so far I've (mostly) been able to do so. I agree with roxanne--work those cravings into your daily calories. Ignoring them won't help.

The first trimester is very much about survival for a lot of us. Eat what you can when you feel sick, and when you have a good day, take advantage and eat a balanced meal. I've kept logging my food and that's been a tremendous help, and I've kept up the exercise, even when I was tired and could only go on a walk. But take each day as it comes, and don't get discouraged if you have an off day. It's just part of the process.

Feel free to add me as a friend. There are lots of great pregnant women on here to offer support!
  • oreoelle
    oreoelle Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you! I found out the day after Mother's day (go figure lol). It was not planned, but we're really happy. I'm lucking out with the "morning" sickness for the most part, but the strange cravings and overall weirdness of the whole thing is quite an adjustment.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Add me if you'd like. I don't log my food and, as of today, I am done exercising until after baby. I am good about commenting, logging on daily and trying to be supportive though.

I am almost 37 weeks.
  • JennypegMarie
    JennypegMarie Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, Its my first pregnancy too.

And for the first few weeks I wanted meat haswell! oh, and marmite on burnt toast.. Strange!

I'm 20 weeks now and I've had cravings for Jelly beans... yum. I've Not majoryley OD on them but I give it to them now and again.

Im sticking with my calories and. Ive put on 3lb at the most. As long as baby's healthy and growing it don't worry me.

If you are concerned about weight and diet talk to your dr or midwife and they should be able to help, although non have mine have really said anything to me, Ive had to ask and they weren't that interested.
  • KatieTee83
    KatieTee83 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    The first trimester is very much about survival for a lot of us.

This.

It's so true. When you feel yucky and exhausted it can be really hard to eat what you know you ought to or to do any form of exercise. My goal has been to eat as healthy as possible whenever I have the stomach for it, and allow myself to eat the cravings in mindful portions.

Also, even though it doesn't feel like it, eating something usually helps with the nausea, something like crackers or a tortilla, something like that.

Congrats!
  • claedwar
    claedwar Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I am 22 weeks along... right there with you, sugar is a huge craving of mine (chocolate!!) and I do not want to gain an unhealthy amount. My advice to you is to MAKE SURE to track what you're eating on here every day. It has really helped me stay focused. Also, you can go into settings and change which things show up at the bottom of your diary with calories, and I changed mine to include iron (very important creating a life!) to make sure I was getting enough, also watch the sugar and sodium on there to avoid too much! Those are killers. Obviously, exercising at least 3 or 4 times a week is a good idea too. Good luck. :)
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! Your story is similar to mine. I was trying to get back into shape and had only lost 8 lbs when I found out that I was 5 weeks pregnant unexpectedly (but happily as well!)

I found once I was taking a prenatal vitamin most of my cravings went away. Usually when you're craving something it's because you're not getting something it has to offer in your diet. For example, I used to crave chocolate all the time, once I took a prenatal I was getting magnesium and chocolate no longer tempted me. Then I was craving fast food and as it would turn out, you crave high calorie meals when you're not getting enough calories. I upped my calorie intake and the cravings went away. Then I was craving steak and red meat. My bloodwork came back saying that my iron stores were low. So I started taking an iron supplement and now I don't crave anything at all. :)

This website has some helpful tips to manage cravings: http://www.dailytransformations.com/food-cravings-here-is-what-your-body-really-wants/

Hope that helps!
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    I have 9 children. My youngest is 3 months old. I have been through most everything so if you need advice or just someone to rant too I'm here.
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 weeks pregnant with my second. The first time around I didn't exercise & ate junk food, fast food, whatever I wanted the whole pregnancy & gained 34lbs. I'm hoping to make better food choices, eat 1800+ exercise calories til my second trimester & workout (low impact cardio, Pilates, yoga, strength training with 5lb dumbells). I recommend eating plenty of fruits & veggies & hitting your macros everyday as well as fitting in junk food here & there. I eat something sweet everyday :)

Anyone feel free to add me! I log daily & support my friends.