Just found out

Options
Binky_Muffin
Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
I found out on Monday that I'm pregnant. This came as a complete surprise because DH and I have struggled with infertility for many years. I went through IVF last summer and it did not work. The reason for my infertility is severe stage IV endo. We were getting used to the idea of being a family of two. Our BFP was completely unexpected.

I haven't been tracking my cycle at all and don't know how far along I am. I'm figuring I'm between 5 to 7 weeks. Hopefully the blood work will give me more answers.

Anyhow, I'm having really bad food aversions and constant nausea throughout the day. Eating at maintenance is difficult. Blurghh... I still plan on tracking my calories and gaining the minimum amount of weight necessary for a healthy pregnancy. I do not plan on "eating for two". I know every woman has different ideas on what kind of lifestyle you should lead while pregnant and I believe you should do what is best for you. The best thing for me will be to track what I'm eating to make sure I gain the proper amount of weight.

Replies

• melbwhite
    melbwhite Posts: 16
    Options
    Congrats and welcome to the group! I had a very similar situation with #2. We struggled to get pregnant on fertility and then found out I was in stage 4 Endo. After the surgery I got pregnant and am on my last #4!

Your blood work will tell you everything! They have come so far in the medical world its amazing! The nausea, although it stinks is actually a good sign. My doctor told me throughout pregnancy #2 if you're sick the baby is great and developing. So thats what kept me going through my nausea/ sickness.

Try to drink lots of water! It helps flush out toxins, helps with constipation( which is horrible!!), and keeps you full. You will be in the bathroom more but its so good for your body especially during pregnancy! Take your weight divide by 2 then that number is the amount you should be drinking in ounces a day.

Im keeping my calorie intake to my pre-pregnancy amount and if I'm a little more hungry one day I will go over and make up for it during the rest of the week. I give myself a cheat meal NOT day once a week . This way I'm not as likely to fall of the wagon. Its really hard to get back on track!

Good Luck!!!:smile:
  • katey_my_lady
    katey_my_lady Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Oh, that is so wonderful! Congrats, and here's to a healthy pregnancy for you!

I so empathize with the first trimester aversions and nausea. Just do what you need to do to get through it, one day at a time. I will say there were days when I felt nearly normal and could eat my regular diet. I took advantage so that when I had another yucky day, I knew that I had gotten some good nutrients in earlier in the week.

I stuck with my maintenance calories first trimester and added about 200 for the second. According to my midwife, at 18 weeks I'm right on track with weight gain at about 7-8 pounds. No need to go hungry! Some weeks I've been ravenous; others I've felt pretty normal. I'm just trying to learn to go with what my body says and trust that it knows what it's doing.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Morning sickness is the worst, isn't it? It does end though.

Congratulations on your pregnancy and welcome!
  • Binky_Muffin
    Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

The nausea is particularly bad tonight. I seem to have some GI issues as well. Good times. Peppermint tea seems to help.
  • papagal212
    papagal212 Posts: 93
    Options
    congrats!! I'm going on 8 wks here, feel free to add me :)) I hear ya. I have major food aversions and nausea. was not this bad with my other 2, blahhh
  • hiba_84
    hiba_84 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Congratulation on your pregnancy and welcome to the group.
    You certainly should not eat for two. I did that in my first pregnancy and I ended up gaining an unnecessary 55 lbs.
    Tracking and staying active has helped me so far this time around.
    Good luck to you too.
  • melbwhite
    melbwhite Posts: 16
    Options
    For GI issues my doctor said Milk of Magnesia and it helped. The stuff is hard to get down but worth it esp for the constipation. I also ate prunes and drank tons of water. Hopefully this doesn't last much longer! :)
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! And welcome to the group!

In the first two trimesters I had terrible food aversions but not really any cravings. My poor husband hasn't been able to have his favorite meal (spaghetti) since October since I wasn't able to stomach the thought of tomato sauce and pasta. It's a strange thing.

All the best! Enjoy!
  • MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!!!!! It was that way with my first who's now 18 months. I have severe pcos so we just thought it would always be just us two! But now we're expecting the fourth member of our family in/around January! We couldn't be more excited! Feel free to add me!