Fiber

Options
jakejacobsen
jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
What do you regarding fiber? It seems the more I lower the carbs the less fiber I am getting.

Fiber keeps things moving so.....

How much fiber do you consume a day?
How do you keep things moving?

I am eating only like 12g of fiber a day, is that enough?

Replies

• Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds, has 11 gm of fiber in 3 Tb spoons. If I am struggling with Fiber, I usually take psyhulum husk fiber tablets. Depending on the day, I consume any where from 10-30 g of fiber. If I am under 10, I pop few fiber pills.
  • monica10171
    monica10171 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I try to have a large salad every day and that seems to do the trick plus lots of water. Also magnesium tablets help to.
  • GinaLivinLaKetoLoco
    GinaLivinLaKetoLoco Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was listening to Living La vida low carb, (Jimmy Moore's podcast) he had JJ Virgin on the show, and she said she recommends 50 grams of fiber a day!, So the next day I added psyllium husk to my diet, because my weight up to that point was stalled and or yoyoing for about 3 weeks or so. I also switched from regular store bought cream and diary, to organic grass feed raw cream, milk and butter and my weight is moving down at a steady rate now. JJ virgin said, fiber, besides other healthy benefits pulls the toxins from our systems, and the first day I had a pretty good headache so I think it was doing it's job. I also read that Psyllium husk doesn't absorb in our stomachs like food, so I don't even count it as carbs and I am still in ketosis, and it takes me way over my carbs and should knock me out, but it doesn't so it must be true. You do need to drink a LOT of water with it though because even though it's fiber it has backed me up and I needed to drink senna tea to help move things out..
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I've been making this bread http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/toasted-sub-sandwich-and-panini/, I make the coconut flour version, its loaded wtih fiber, 2 slices has 14 grams of fiber. Yesterday I rolled it out & baked it on a cookie sheet & made wraps with it. soooo yummy!
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I take 2 servings of optimum nutrition's fiber powder a day, men would take 3 servings a day. I know women need around 25g fiber daily.. check for men.
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I make milled flax seed pancakes for fiber. (Store the milled flax seed in your fridge.) Flax seed, a little oil, splenda (if you want it a little sweet), salt, egg and water then cook as you'd like. I've never gone out of ketosis from eating these.

If it's a question of stuck mail, so to speak, try making triple strength beef broth from cubes or granules and tossing some hard cheese into it, then don't go far from the toilet. I have no idea why this works, but it does for me - and I get my sodium!
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I like minute muffins made with flaxseed in the microwave. Top them with sweetened cream cheese and it's a treat. There's also psyllium husk capsules. It's pure fiber and should help move things along.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SnowFlinga
    SnowFlinga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Latest keto thinking that I've read is that fiber isn't even necessary in this diet. If you read about how fiber "keeps things moving" then you'll understand why it shouldn't be necessary if you're following a true keto diet. If you are getting at least 65-70% of your cals from fat and not overdoing the protein then you should not be running into any problems in that department. Overdoing protein will easily "bog you down".
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Latest keto thinking that I've read is that fiber isn't even necessary in this diet. If you read about how fiber "keeps things moving" then you'll understand why it shouldn't be necessary if you're following a true keto diet. If you are getting at least 65-70% of your cals from fat and not overdoing the protein then you should not be running into any problems in that department. Overdoing protein will easily "bog you down".

It isn't always about the mail. Sometimes I just want some facsimile of bread. My mail recipe is broth, lol.
  • Caeyla
    Caeyla Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't pay much attention to fiber. Some days I get well over 20g (and those days tend to lead to uncomfortable/hurty tummy the next day), and a lot of days I only get a few grams. The only times I have had any issues with things moving along as they should is when I didn't drink enough water. And I am not a gallon a day water drinker--I mean days where I might've only had a couple cups can cause problems for me.

From what I've seen anecdotally, it depends on the person. Some people do better with more fiber; some with less. The best way to figure it out is to try it and see which way you feel better. :smile: