Today Was Bad - This Needs to Stop!

Options
Losing_Sarah
Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
First I have to say that getting sleeved was the best thing I have done for myself. While I still have a lot of weight to lose I feel so much better than I did not that long ago. I have tons of energy, ambition, and I don't ache all day. I feel better inside and out.

I was sleeved 7.5 months ago and the last couple months the weight is coming off slower, which I get. Especially when I know I could be making better choices some days. This lead me to TODAY! I haven't felt like logging, I have been grazing on bad stuff all day (of course, I allowed myself to buy it to begin with) :( I feel terrible, too (tummy ache). It's really frightening & frustrating to see myself acting like I did pre-op. Ugh.

It's kind of been happening for a couple weeks or so, but it's been very subtle with only questionable food choices, but today, it's like I can't stop snacking. I know what I need to do, but I'm just not doing it.

OK - Here is my game plan for all to see - I have to go finish doing some planting outside right now, but when I get back in I'm going to put my daughter to bed, then purge my cupboards and fridge of the junk that shouldn't be in the house.

If anyone wants to comment I can take anything. Encouragement, a kick in the *kitten*, tips, whatever to help me get moving back in the right direction.

Replies

• teachren
    teachren Posts: 78
    Options
    Sarah,

I'm with ya sleeve sista! I have been kicking myself lately for getting a little to sloppy with my diet. I let a few extra carbs slip back in, then it's a few more. I still manage to keep my calories okay but I think the hard part for me has been that I am now eating more calories as I am basically at my goal weight. So...I end up dumping more carbs in to make up the calories.

Dumb...dumb...dumb. I don't mind the fruits and veggie or dairy carbs but it's the dumb ones like a handful of crackers or falling back into my cinammon raisin bagel weakness that is the problem.

To rectify this I have tried to have more cheese strings, small portions of yogurt, fresh veggies or berries available in my fridge at home and my snack fridge at school. I find I am stressed out right now with work and if I don't have good choices close at hand I go to the old standbys which are carb laden and no good for me.

So go and get rid of all the crap in your pantry. That's the first step! I'm going to have to tell my husband that I can't buy him crackers any more as I can't seem to stay out of a couple of them. He's going to sob like a baby but that's too bad! hehe

Good luck...consider yourself kicked and I kicked myself too!

:-)
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    A few things - yes, get rid of the junk in your environment (and don't buy any more!). Start logging - the good, the bad, the ugly, ALL of it. Seeing it in black and white will give you some perspective. Also, don't think of food as good or bad. That's old thinking, and it's judgmental towards yourself. Food is inanimate, don't let it control your feelings. Think of food as a number in your diary, a number of calories, grams of protein, etc. Seeing it as a number takes the emotion out of it.

You have made great progress. Do the things you KNOW will work for you, like choosing the right foods and logging. It's simple, but we make things too hard on ourselves sometimes. You can totally do it!!!
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Still pre-surgery, so I can't relate, but don't let a short bad stint get you down. Pick yourself up and get back at it the way you know you can.

I also agree with garber6th, log it all, so that when you are back in the swing of the good habits, you can go back and rationally see what your backsliding looks like, so you can see it coming the next time and avert it.

And . . . spend more time thinking about the good days in front of you than beating yourself up.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Too me it sounds like you are medicating with food. If you are stressed or worried about something you need to go ahead and deal with it. Using food as an escape is always a bad plan. Yes, get the trigger foods out. But, where are you emotionally? You sound very down and full of bad emotions toward yourself. You must be very kind to yourself, talk gently with great love and affection to yourself when you are stressed out. Forgive yourself so you can move on. Berating yourself will only cloud your mind and reduce your self confidence. Saying a decade of the Rosary for you.
  • Losing_Sarah
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Yes, I purged my cupboards of anything that shouldn't be there. I feel better. I am pretty much medicating myself. I am under a lot of stress right now from various things (my job, my other "job" - a volunteer position that takes a lot of time, and managing my household on top of all the things that are keeping me busy right now) The good news is that things will be slowing down soon (in the next 2-3 weeks).

teachren - Congrats on hitting your goal weight, btw! Same story here with the carbs. I let a couple slip in and it just gets worse. I can do veg & fruit without issue, but it's the crud like cracker, etc.

garber6th - I actually do log every morsel. Interestingly, seeing it doesn't really make me "see the light" I like your advice about looking at food as numbers, though. Especially while I am still in losing mode I need to stop thinking about what I WANT when it comes to food and start focusing on only what I NEED like I was doing the first few months out from surgery. I have set calorie, protein, carb goals, and while I do good most days on the calories it is the quality of food that I need to get under control.

rpyle - Thanks for reminding me that beating myself is no good. I need to feel good about myself, not bad!

Mangopickle - I was feeling very down yesterday. I didn't seem to have control over myself and it made me feel terrible. I purged my fridge and cupboards and feel much better.
  • ujuoba
    ujuoba Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    When you feel down reach out! We are here for you!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Sarah, let me tell you I am very proud of you! You saw the problem and you took steps to fix it! Great job!! I too have been eating less than well this week. Told the husband last night that I've let some of our food choices for meals go back to my pre-surgery days and when we grocery shop this week we will not be buying those things again. Point is we all need to be very vigilant on what we bring into our houses.

I agree with everyone here. You can't beat yourself up and food is not good or bad. Food is fuel, it's necessary to our lives, and it's our choices that are good for us or not. You just made a very good choice, you purged the food you no longer want out of your house and life. Good job!
  • Losing_Sarah
    Options
    Thanks, Pawoodhull. I do need to be vigilant! I am the grocery shopper, so it is all me, too.

Drowdie - I will remember that. I don't post often, but I should. There are times when I am struggling only a little bit and I do nothing until I'm at a point like I was yesterday.