Cleaning (literally) my barbell

Options
katro111
katro111 Posts: 632 Member
So I got my oly bar used, and it's a fair bit rusty. I Googled some methods, but was wondering if anyone had first-hand experience with cleaning/removing rust from a barbell and what works the best?

My plates are also used and pretty rusty; would the same cleaning method for the bar work on the plates?

How skewed would the weight of the plates be if I gave each one a thin coat of rustoleum after cleaning?

Replies

• Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I generally use clr and a wire brush to get rid of rust (never tried it on a bb or plates though. And my guess is any weight rustoleum might add would be countered by the weight of rust you took off. You might want to weigh them just to see but I wouldn't worry about it personally.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    to be frank I taped my bar where it was rusty and it helped with my grip too.

But clr should work to get the rust off.

As for the plates paint them pink...or some other color...
  • tinkystyle
    tinkystyle Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've used coke--the soda--on barbell and metal plates. I've also successfully used it for rust on golf clubs. Or you can tape it like SezxyStef recommended.

I had read an article about what you can use coke for and was surprised to read all of the things it will erode.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I saw something about using Coke, too, but I've never done it so I figured I'd see if anyone else had. Thanks for the tips - I'm gonna clean that baby off this weekend. I don't really mind that it's rusty, but there are spots on the ends that make getting the collars on and off a little difficult so if I can scrub the rust off of at least those parts, I'll be happy.
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    If the Coke doesn't get it off, try some steel wool scouring pads.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Fine wire wool and auto sol worked well on my motorbike exhasts. Or cola and tin foil