Casein?!

Options
ElvisBaby88
ElvisBaby88 Posts: 161 Member
Ok, so since going gluten free I have noticed I have an issue with milk! I had 1/2 cup of organic 1% milk in my cereal last week and each time I consumed it I have had awful constipation and gas. I know people with Lactose intolerance have the opposite issue...so does that mean I could have an issue with casein?! I have a drs appointment in June, but should I avoid milk until then?!

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Nearly everyone who has celiac disease also has issues with dairy, sorry to say. Try replacing it with almond milk, coconut milk, even rice milk and watch any non-dairy type cheeses or 'ice creams' you may try as lots have casein as an ingredient. If it is lactose only, you may be able to get away with sheep (Romano is sheep's milk) or goat's milk (sometimes cow lactose is the problem) or at least the harder aged cheeses and yogourts since the lactose has been 'pre-digested.' What usually doesn't work are soft young cheeses like cottage and crème, etc.

Best bet is to try the elimination diet, you know how that one works I'm sure... :ohwell:
    Good luck.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Casein is the protein found in milk. Lactose is a sugar. Lots of people are lactose intolerant. You can switch to a non-dairy milk, or there are a ton of lactose free versions. I agree that an elimination diet is the best way to figure out which you have a problem with. Coconut milk is kind of awesome though ;).
  • fattybumclaire
    fattybumclaire Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I had the same problems, I started gluten free 3 years ago but was unsure why I was still getting poorly so in January I also gave up dairy. The difference in my general health has been phenomenal :) Dairy upsets my tummy and also my skin, I get hidradenitis suppurativa (nasty cyst like boils in armpits, groin and scalp) but this has almost cleared up for the first time in almost 20 years since cutting out dairy.

I have been experimenting with goats cheese but unfortunately that doesnt appear to agree with me either.

I would give it a go and see what happens. Good luck.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I had the same problems, I started gluten free 3 years ago but was unsure why I was still getting poorly so in January I also gave up dairy. The difference in my general health has been phenomenal :) Dairy upsets my tummy and also my skin, I get hidradenitis suppurativa (nasty cyst like boils in armpits, groin and scalp) but this has almost cleared up for the first time in almost 20 years since cutting out dairy.

I have been experimenting with goats cheese but unfortunately that doesnt appear to agree with me either.

I would give it a go and see what happens. Good luck.

:sad: :cry: :cry: Sounds like it is the milk proteins, fattybumclaire (casein). Real bummer. But at least you can find some fairly decent substitutes for a dairy treat these days. They just tend to have a whole lot of other calories from fats/oils, so if you are watching total calories from fat - :cry:

Liana