Weight loss and Training

Options
Adpalangi
Adpalangi Posts: 349 Member
Has anyone here had a good amount of weight loss in a reasonable amount of time without a fitness plan? Into week six and I still can't get myself motivated to do my training sessions, really disapointed in myself for that. I have never been athletic at all. I've still lost a reasonable amount of weight, but can't help but wonder what I'm missing out on with the exercise, and how to get myself going.

Replies

• Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    In the past, I have lost weight without working out; however, I conveniently gained all that weight back plus some. Ha, ha, ha. This time around, I decided I didn't just want to to be smaller, but I actually wanted to be fit. I don't want yo be skinny fat. I want curves and visible muscles. I want to be toned. I want to be able to walk up a flight of stairs without being winded. Do I like exercising? Maybe not all the time, but I have not skipped a scheduled workout since starting in Dec. Why? Because this new healthier me knows that I can't have the body I want without it.

The way I got myself going was by deciding I was going and than went - to the gym that is. Once you make up your mind to exercise, there will be no stopping you. Wishing you much success on your journey!
  • gokari30
    gokari30 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I meet with a personal trainer once a week and it's wonderful! We lift weights, which makes me feel strong, and gets me motivated for the rest of the week.
  • jolene_CO
    jolene_CO Posts: 48
    Options
    My experience with decreased calories and limited exercise was overwhelmingly negative. I gave it a go and found I just didn't have enough energy for the day. My work and relationships suffered, which doesn't align with my priorities or values. The lack of energy eventually led me to eating more and no longer losing weight.

That said, my "fitness plan" is my own. I do 200 crunches most days, 25 - 50 push-ups most days, and run most days, but my runs are my own (I set how far I want to run in a week or to train for a race). I don't have a trainer and haven't done in 10+ years. I don't have a workout partner.

For me, keeping to an exercise plan meant finding the form of exercise I was passionate about. I love running. I spent several years lifting VERY heavy weights (my highest working weight was a 435lb squat and a 365lb deadlift). When the lifting starting impacting my ability to run, I quit lifting and focused only on the exercises that brought me personal satisfaction and peace with life.

Perhaps your inability to stick to a fitness plan is because you've not found that form of output that brings you joy or makes you sad if you can't participate?
  • praevalere
    praevalere Posts: 24
    Options
    Weight loss is almost entirely due to one's diet. As you build up your muscles they consume more calories per day to maintain which they say supposedly speeds up your weight loss (but I think we have all seen fat lineman). Either way, you will end much more healthy if you choose to exercise while you are eating right, but eating healthy and at a deficit is all you need to lose. Good luck.
  • praevalere
    praevalere Posts: 24
    Options
    Meant to post this link. It is another forum post related to your question.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1049422-successfully-lost-weight-without-exercise
  • Northern_Girl12
    Northern_Girl12 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost a great deal of weight (yet) but a good portion of my current state can be attributed to eating for a very active lifestyle and then not adjusting those eating habits as my lifestyle changed. So my only thought is whatever sort of program you rely on to get the weight off, be prepared to continue at least some version of it long-term. There are of course other health benefits of exercise, but you will lose weight if you are in a calorie deficit, regardless of how you create that deficit.

For the record, I've done intermittent exercise but my small loss thus far has been from tracking what I eat and staying within a recommended range of calories. If I had a lot of spare time I'd choose strength training because it would help to make sure I maintain my lean mass while I am losing fat.

Don't beat yourself up. Even if you can get out and do something once every week, it's a start.