Post-op Diet Progression

Options
Hi Everyone!

Was recently sleeved (4/21 - down 23 lbs) and am wondering what your post-op diet progression was like. My doc is very strict - 3 weeks clear liquid, 3 weeks full liquid, 3 weeks soft/pureed foods, then standard bariatric diet. He's a very conservative doc and wants to avoid leaks and make sure his patients lose as much weight as possible as soon as possible. I do understand and really want to follow his guidelines but am having a tough time.

What was your progression like? Do you think it caused any problems if your progression was faster than this?

Replies

• JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I was on clear liquids for 3 to 4 days. Full liquids after that as tolerated, then after 2 week check I went to soft pureed foods, on that for 4 weeks. I should be on full diet after my check up on the 30th. I was sleeved on April 17th.
  • JxAAA
    JxAAA Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I was on clear liquids in the hospital. Once home it was 2 weeks full liquids, 2 weeks purees, 2 weeks soft foods and then a what I like to call my new normal diet. I've handled all the transitions pretty well with no issues. My only problems are with Peanut Butter and spicy stuff.
  • Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    It's my experience that all the transition periods are there for a purpose and believe they helped me to have no nausea, dumping or any other problems eating. I did try and eat a little bit of something before I was supposed to once and vomited for 3 hours and it was draining on me. Stomach hurt for a couple of days after that and since then I have followed my Dr.'s instructions to the letter.

I think a good analogy would be like giving a baby food before formula/breast milk, soft, etc. instead of building up their ability in stages until they can eat 'real' food.

I was in a couple of the transitional stages a few days longer than usual due to my having been on steroids 3 times post-op which slows down the healing process. I thought I was ready to move on, she wasn't, I did as she instructed.

Good luck on beginning this worthwhile journey for the rest of your life.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I will be having my surgyer (hopefully) early fall. My doc has indicated I will be on clear liquids the first 2-3 days, which are the days I will be in the hospital. By the time I go home I will be on full liquids and will stay there for a few weeks. Then I have another extended period for the pureed foods. After that I go to soft foods for a period and after that (which will end up being several months post-surgery) I will be able to go to regular foods, though with the regular restrictions of someone who has had bariatric surgery. I know I won't have to worry about putting on too much holiday weight this year :)
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Day 1 post op it was 2 weeks full liquids, 2 weeks purees, 2 weeks soft foods followed by "advance your diet as tolerated. I had no real issues with anything other than it took me about 6 months to tolerate rice well.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Full liquids starting the day after surgery for 2 weeks, then pureed for 2 weeks, then soft for 2 weeks then normal.
  • shoerack45
    shoerack45 Posts: 30
    Options
    My doctor didn't let us leave the hospital the next day until we had pureed food. It really varies quite a bit!
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I understand your concern, I will just note that I've never heard of 3 weeks clear liquid that seems kind of dangerous as its REALLY low calorie and there are very few things that you can get nutrition from aside from some protein shakes, unless there are other supplements he gave you.

That being said I was on clear liquids for 3 days then 2 weeks of liquids then I transitioned to puree/ soft foods and stayed there for a month or so and I slowly adjusted to a normal diet. I had some issues with the transition and finding foods that I could tolerate at first (I had a hard time with solid proteins like chicken, turkey, any type of egg aside from hard-boiled). Within less then 3 months I was at eating a more normalized diet, but it really took 6 months before I was eating they way I eat now - raw fruits/ veggies, solid protein, protein bars, etc.
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    My progression was 24 hours clear liquids, 4 weeks of full liquids, 4 weeks of purees, 4 months of soft foods, then a standard bariatric diet (low carb, high protein, small amounts, etc.). I do think it is really important to follow your doctor's instructions. If you are struggling, contact your doctor's office and ask for guidance or possibly even permission to advance a little early -- but don't do it on your own based on what other people on internet message boards are doing!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    My progression was 24 hours clear liquids, 4 weeks of full liquids, 4 weeks of purees, 4 months of soft foods, then a standard bariatric diet (low carb, high protein, small amounts, etc.). I do think it is really important to follow your doctor's instructions. If you are struggling, contact your doctor's office and ask for guidance or possibly even permission to advance a little early -- but don't do it on your own based on what other people on internet message boards are doing!

SibylDiane you are so wise and so right! That's the best advice I've seen on this board or any othe, the last line above. "Contact your Doctor's office"
  • shoerack45
    Options
    It's interesting to see the variation. While I doubt one would suggest varying one's own diet based on the boards, it is nice that people share.

Frankly, I'm wondering if my doc is a nut. That's not a nutritionalist by the way. Ha! I seem to be the only one who couldn't leave the hospital on Day 2 without puree. Hehe. Nah, I trust him, but it IS interesting.
  • plmelquist
    plmelquist Posts: 42
    Options
    Surgery day, nothing to eat or drink. Day after ice chips then water. Home on second day only after able to drink and tolerate an Opti-fast shake. Optifast shakes and soup first week -- > mushies for one week -- > fish for 2 weeks --> shrimp and other seafood one week --> chicken --> steak. I'm in the fish for 2 weeks phase right now. My doctor shakes his head when other docs want people to be on liquids at all, never mind for weeks at a time. I'd call my doc, everyone is different.
  • shoopfam5
    shoopfam5 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am doing liquids for 4 weeks and I do not no after that until i see the Dr on Thursday.
  • priceless97
    priceless97 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved last Monday---nothing to eat that day. Started clear liquids last Tuesday and Wednesday when I got out of the hospital. I had a hernia repair in addition to the sleeve. I did full liquids until yesterday and started pureed foods today--it's been mashed potatoes, yogurt and apple sauce for my memorial day! :-) Next week I'll be able to do soft foods and then regular foods the following week.

I did learn that I CANNOT yet tolerate sugar free chocolate pudding--OMG--gave me Diarrhea.

I had my post visit last Friday because I needed my drainage tube from the hernia removed. I'll go back in 3 more weeks for my follow up appointment with the doctor.
  • shoerack45
    Options
    I was sleeved last Monday---nothing to eat that day. Started clear liquids last Tuesday and Wednesday when I got out of the hospital. I had a hernia repair in addition to the sleeve. I did full liquids until yesterday and started pureed foods today--it's been mashed potatoes, yogurt and apple sauce for my memorial day! :-) Next week I'll be able to do soft foods and then regular foods the following week.

I did learn that I CANNOT yet tolerate sugar free chocolate pudding--OMG--gave me Diarrhea.

I had my post visit last Friday because I needed my drainage tube from the hernia removed. I'll go back in 3 more weeks for my follow up appointment with the doctor.

This reminds me!

I'm heading back to work and I'm only bringing items for lunch that I have tried b/c you never know. Smashed white fish from our list of okays made me so sick and I would have never seen that coming.
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I am doing liquids for 4 weeks and I do not no after that until i see the Dr on Thursday.

Hey My friend, it's nice to see you join the VSGers group. Welcome. :flowerforyou: