Low Carb "diet"/eating???

Options
joianett
joianett Posts: 79 Member
What is considered too low? how many grams. I eat close to 100g per day but sometimes only 60g. It's just how I eat.

i am 30 weeks pregnant and never intend to hurt my baby boy but just kept eating how I've always eaten. But of course I read things online about how bad low carb is (just popped up on a site) and never gave much thought to it.

I eat chicken, almonds/nuts, greek yogurt, etc. Normally!

Replies

• sunflower92630
    sunflower92630 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi joianett,
    I too have done low carb but a ketogenic version in the past before I was pregnant. There are sooo many definitions of low carb out there that you need to be more specific. Are you following something specific "Atkins, PAleo, primal? Are you eating dairy, not eating dairy?
    Low Carb in itself is not harmful to the baby the concern seems to be when you are in a ketogenic state because there has not been enough research done on the affect of ketones on the fetus.
    However most sites that I have looked at say that as long as you stay out of ketosis while doing "low carb" you should be okay and fir in "healthy" carbs such as veggies, legumes, fruits (to a point).
    Now how bad could it be for your baby to stay away from sugar, white refined carbs and white starches!

To me (my own opinion) eating meat, veggies, nuts, yogurt, some fruit here and there sounds pretty heatlhy and great for the baby. The human body does not physically need refined carbs! Sounds like you are doing everything right and if your doctor does not seem concerned I think you are fine. :)
  • joianett
    joianett Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I don't follow a particular "diet" but just naturally eat higher protein. I eat Greek yogurt, nuts, chicken, vegetables, string cheese, eggs... My carbs are: Ezikiel bread, 1-2 fruits per day and if I don't have bread, il have quinoa hot cereal in A.M.