^^^ I hate that picture up there - of the abdomen injection

Options
carolinatx
carolinatx Posts: 58 Member
But it's made me curious - who on this group is on MDIs, a pump or something else? I started on a pump in 2007 - started on the Medtronic, switched to Animas in 2012 and to OmniPod in 2013 - love being tubeless!!

Replies

• abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Right now, I am on MDI. Within the past few weeks, I submitted my request and paperwork for the TSlim insulin pump and am now waiting for my endo to approve and write a Rx for it and the insulin. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will be on it and on insulin before mid-July.
  • okulyd
    okulyd Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    So glad you posted this! My warranty runs out in Nov. so I'm trying to decide what pump to get next.

I'm currently using Medtronic 523 (Paradigm). I also use the enlite sensor (CGM) with it. I am having major issues with infusions sets. Currently using the quick set and it kinks or gets clogged at least twice a week (every 2-3 days). I think I may try the RIO infusion set next. Anyone like those?

Carolinatx- Tubeless sounds really nice!
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Have been using the tslim for about a year now, was MDI before that. Love the pump and what it lets me do.

More important to me is my Dex G4. That is an amazing tool. Have my numbers in a tight range around 90% of the time now that I use what I see on the G4 to adjust my foods, pre bolusing, temp rates, dual waves etc.
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    MDI - I just can't bring myself to get a pump. And yeah, the abdomen picture - eeeep!
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I hate that pic too. I've been on an insulin pump for over 15 years. Love it and will never do MDIs again.
  • curlergal14
    curlergal14 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have been on a pump for 15 years (I thought my older sister was so cool when she got one, I just HAD to have one). Every once in a while I get totally fed-up and will go back to shots... which lasts for about two days max before I want the pump flexibility back. I've been using Medtronic pumps since the 508 (ancient right). Now I've got the 723, which I actually just had to look up. I use the Mio sets which I like because they come with a built in inserter so you don't need a separate one. The only thing I don't love is that I manage to pull them out or the fall out a lot in the summer, but I also sweat a good bit and wear clothes that sometimes rub on the set.

I'd love to hear what people think of the enlight sensors from Medtronic. I was using the old soft sensors but they're just a waste of time and painful for me so I never used them much.
  • carolinatx
    Options
    abatonfan - will be curious to hear what you think of the tslim. Congrats! That's an exciting transition!
  • carolinatx
    Options
    I'm currently using Medtronic 523 (Paradigm). I also use the enlite sensor (CGM) with it. I am having major issues with infusions sets. Currently using the quick set and it kinks or gets clogged at least twice a week (every 2-3 days). I think I may try the RIO infusion set next. Anyone like those?

Carolinatx- Tubeless sounds really nice!

i used the mio's when I had the medtronic and i liked them. I had issues too with the quick sets getting occlusions too frequently. I think the mios go in at a different angle and that helped. Hope it works for you.

Tubeless is awesome! There have been some issues with the omniopod pods, but no pump brand is issue free IMO. I love the freedom it gives me and all the locations you can use for sites vs with the tubed kind. You can go on their site and request a trial pod be sent to you if you want to see what it's like. I've been on the animas too and omnipod is my fave of the 3. I would not switch back to tubed but I wish there were another tube free option for competition/pricing reasons.
  • okulyd
    okulyd Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hi Curlergal14,
    I just got the enlite sensors and love them. I am now on my third one. They are more accurate. They hurt much less. They last longer, not just an extra 3 days but for some reason my sensor holds a charge longer with the new ones. I was able to get my doctor to write me an off label prescription to get them since I still have my old pump. This took some doing but was worth it.

I still have the old sensors but can't bring myself to use them now that I have used the new one. Like you I thought the old ones were a waste of time because of how inaccurate they were. The readings I get from the enlite sensors are very close to what my meter tells me. Even when I exercise they appear to be right on or close enough. Its not as accurate on the first day as it take a little while for the enlite to learn your body. However by day two it is giving perfect readings and even on day one the readings weren't that far off, maybe 20 points up or down.

I lost sensor number two. I don't know if it was something I did or due to the new tape that comes with them. I was playing soccer and some how the sensor came off and landed on the field. I went home and didn't realize I had lost it until I got into the shower. Lucky for me the next day I went back to the field and found it on the sideline. Thank goodness because I don't have cash to buy another transmitter. I never ever lost the transmitter with the sof-sensors. Just be sure you have it well attached is my only advise.

If you have questions please ask. I am new, only on sensor 3 and I didn't get a chance to use sensor 2 as it fell off on the first day. However in my limited experience the new ones are much, much better!
  • AmberM82479
    Options
    Hi! I took injections for 11 years, pump for 12 and now I'm back to injections. I've missed the freedom terribly and am so happy to feel feminine again without having to hide pump lumps. :)
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Hi! I might as well update on when I will be getting the pump.

I received my pump about a month ago. I am going in on Tuesday to begin running it with saline, and I will be switching over to pumping insulin on July 1st. I am looking forward to finally eating carb-filled snacks without debating whether I am in the mood to inject myself... or finding a way to remember to inject the second part of a wave bolus. :drinker:
  • carolinatx
    Options
    Congrats - good luck!
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    MDI - I take 7 shots a day, and do not want a pump, they kinda freak me out to be honest
  • nolabone
    nolabone Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    MDI - I take 7 shots a day, and do not want a pump, they kinda freak me out to be honest

Same thing here!
  • deezy93
    deezy93 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I read this! I have a minimed pump and hate it! My dogs constantly get caught up in the tubing and rip it out! Not to mention my new insurance doesn't cover nearly enough for the supplies. I had no idea about the omni pump! I just signed up online to see if i'm covered.

Thank you!!!
  • Pattie74
    Pattie74 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Please excuse the lack of knowledge, but what is MDI?
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    Please excuse the lack of knowledge, but what is MDI?

Multiple Daily Injections
  • carolinatx
    Options
    Deezy - you're welcome! I hope the insurance works out for you!!
  • vickicutshall
    vickicutshall Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    MOST important thing I've learned as a pumper, cgm wearer, and diabetes educator is that you really really don't want to calibrate the Enlite sensors more than 3-4 times/day, and FOR SURE before bed--to ensure getting most accurate readings during our most vulnerable time of day/night. "No extra credit" for over-calibrating, I tell my patients. It confuses the math inside and will give poor readings--something we all seemed to struggle with on the old sensors. Yes, I'd toss those oldies, even though they cost so much because the new sensors, and how they are inserted, are so superior.
    Second most important is to tape exactly how they teach you, to keep the cgm stable in the tummy--so it doesn't piston in and out and also lead to poor readings.
    It's a great system, but a very early step in the artificial pancreas process. A G-4 with injections can be just as effective for many folks, and it sounds like DexCom will be "playing" with several of the non-Medtronic pumps in the future.
    I also hate that belly shot photo.
  • carolinatx
    Options
    MOST important thing I've learned as a pumper, cgm wearer, and diabetes educator is that you really really don't want to calibrate the Enlite sensors more than 3-4 times/day, and FOR SURE before bed--to ensure getting most accurate readings during our most vulnerable time of day/night. "No extra credit" for over-calibrating, I tell my patients. It confuses the math inside and will give poor readings--something we all seemed to struggle with on the old sensors.

Wow - I had no idea! When I had the CGM, I was definitely testing more than 3-4 times per day so I probably was messing it up. I had 'trust' issues with it ;) hence why I was testing so much and therefore probably messing it up which was causing the trust issues. Great to know if I ever decide to go back on one, but it's honestly just too much real estate being taken up. I know it still needs to be not near the pump injection site, but if they can ever get it figured out how to do cgm and insulin delivery in one device, I'd sign up again!!