May 2014 Sleevers

Options
Hi, I am Strawberry Polly aka Pauline from Mississippi. I was sleeved on May 5th in Oxford MS. Still on the full liquids diet and will be at least until my next dr's appointment on June9. My walking has improved tremendously. I have osteopenia, the result of chemo and radiation (2 1/2 year BC survivor!!!!) I was having trouble walking without bone pain. Yesterday I walked a total of 2 miles...NO PAIN.
Thank the Lord, I love split pea soup because that is what I have been living on. Thinned with skim milk, liquefied in the blender and strained. Today I am making homemade navy bean soup.
My doctor doesn't have me counting anything yet...just make sure I drink 64 oz of fluid.

Replies

• shoerack45
    shoerack45 Posts: 30
    Options
    Howdy!
  • Liongoddess
    Liongoddess Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Glad you're here. I'm a March 2014 sleever.
  • Ujj7
    Ujj7 Posts: 51
    Options
    Hi I'm goon for my surgery 5/29.... Any tricks on getting in the fluid?
  • rinafil
    rinafil Posts: 23
    Options
    Hey I get sleeved on the 28th. I am on clear liquids for a week. Any clear liquid favorites?
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Hi Strawberry Polly. We are neighbors. I'm in Winnipeg, Canada and will be sleeved around September.
    Great ideas about the Split Pea & Navy Bean Soups. :smile:
  • shoopfam5
    shoopfam5 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi there! My name is CeCe i live in CA and I have a lot of family in Mississippi. I had my sleeve on May 2, 2014 and is still on liquids till i see my Dr on the 29th this month. This last week has been soooo hard.
  • GraceByMySide
    GraceByMySide Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hi! Getting sleeved May 28th!! Getting a little nervous....
  • StrawberryPolly
    Options
    Nice to meet you, Ladies. Being 3 weeks out, my only real frustrations is not being able to get back to my water aerobics and jumping in our pool on these HOT Mississippi days :-)
  • priceless97
    priceless97 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    May 19th was my sleeved day! :-)

I'm on pureed foods right now.

I'm still trying to get all of the water in right now which is a tough one for me as well. I think I do well to get in about 32 oz.

I was out all yesteday and I was totally winded. We had to stop at Barnes and Noble to take a break. I sipped my water while my mom sipped her iced coffee.

I slept long and hard last night. lol I have to be a little more slow.

I can honestly say that I have no pain from the sleeve surgery any more. I do have slight discomfort from my hernia repair though.
  • shoerack45
    shoerack45 Posts: 30
    Options
    I was sleeved on the 19th. I do still experience sleeve discomfort but it's usually in the AM. I think I may be turning on that side in my sleep and it doesn't like that. :)

It is exciting. Up until I was in the operating room, I was waiting for a ball to drop. It's nice to be on this side and I look forward to reading about everyone's journey.

Now, my next date to look forward to is my first post-op with the surgeon this week. I find it strange to have not seen him since being knocked out (they had a different surgeon do rounds); I just wonder about my surgery. :)
  • priceless97
    priceless97 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Anesthesia makes me a real commedianne. lol When I woke up in recovery--there was one nurse on each side of me, holding my hands. I felt like i was in shock and i said to them, "Is it time?" They said, "Time for what?" I said, "Time to go to surgery?" They said, "No mam. You're in recovery. Surgery is over!" lol and the following day after my surgery, I lightly touched my stomach and i said, "WHAT HAPPENED..MY STOMACH HAS GONE DOWN UP HERE.WHERE'S MY BIG TUMMY?" My mom laughed and said, "you know they took about 85% of that right?!" lol I was just so shocked.

I've had those moments of WTH did I do, but a few of my friends that have had the surgery said, "yeah, you'll go through that..but 6 months out, you'll be so happy you did it."
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I got sleeved on the 14th. I'm still pretty immobile because of back issues, but feel perkier everyday. I'm looking forward to the day I can walk around and stand up for a while like other people.
  • dcc56
    dcc56 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm David from the Twin Cities in Minnesota....USA.

I had my sleeve done on May 12, 2014.

I am doing fine, looking forward to moving on from the pureed foods to soft foods on June 10th.
    Since I started with the bariatric group in St. Paul, MN I have lost nearly 55 pounds so far.
    I follow their instructions as closely as possible and I have had very few problems.
    I feel like I am getting better and have more energy every day that goes by.

Hope all is well with everyone, it's a beautiful day here in Minnesota...it's about time too!

-David
  • smilesnangels
    Options
    Hello Everyone!
    I was sleeved on May 29, 2014. I am on the full-liquid diet at this point. I am eating sugar free popsicles, sugar-free,fat free pudding made with 1% and powdered milk mixed, strained "cream of" soups, no sugar added instant breakfast in 1%milk with powdered milk added (and protein powder), and cream of wheat. I don't have any problem at all with any of my eating or drinking and it kinda scares me. I am afraid I am able to eat/drink too much. Anyone else feeling like this?
  • StrawberryPolly
    Options
    Sounds like everyone is doing well!! I got back to the doctor's on Monday and pray that he graduates me from full liquids to something else. Thinking of soup makes me gag. I have added some chopped deli turkey with mayo, a little tuna with mayo, 1 scrambled egg (add water to the egg to make it wet) and some peanut butter on a spoon as my protein lollipop. So far so good. Doc has not told me to keep track of anything but liquids.
  • lucyw70
    lucyw70 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I live in Houston and had my sleeve procedure on May 22, 2014. I am currently on my second week of soft foods and feel like I am doing well. I experienced a little bit of stall in weight loss once I started the soft foods. It was probably just my body adjusting, I lost 18 lbs. in the first 2 weeks. I went about 4 days with no weight loss at all, even with the minimal food that I am eating. I am doing great otherwise, still a little soreness but seems to be getting better everyday. Nice to meet everyone and looking forward to all the great advice and ideas this group has to share.

Lucia
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Hi Lucyn70, nice to meet you.
    It must be a great feeling to have your surgery over and be on the recovery stage. Having a few weeks behind you now the worst of the anxiety and pain are behind you. It sounds like you are doing great. I look forward to reading your posts and following your journey. :flowerforyou:
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    hi may sleevers.

Finally had my post-op appt, almost 4 wks out from my surgery. I'm down 24 pounds. I'm not really disappointed, but I hoped for more. Everybody says these first months are most important, the time we lose the fastest, etc and I'm really worried the loss is going to slow down precipitously. One of my incisions has not healed well, so the nurse gave some help and bandaging to help it along. my BP was 89/56. I've been off the BP meds since about a week after surgery. My back was giving me somuch trouble yesterday, my daughter had to take me to the appointment and I was worried the whole time it would spasm. The nurse said I can take tylenol, and gave me more liquid lortab. I haven't had an aspirin or NSAID in months because I broke my foot last fall and NSAIDs interfere with bone healing. Even so, I'm getting a little depressed that my back is giving so much trouble. The nurse agreed to let me start in-home physical therapy again, so I'm happy about that. I'm afraid my back muscles are going to weaken too much just sitting around, but walking and standing are difficult because of the back and I'm worried what exercises I can do that won't strain my abdomen.

Okay, that's my cranky complaint for the week, I think. In general, I'm fine and discovring new foods like veggie burgers and tofu since I can't stomach chicken or anything other than a poached egg. I really like the veggie burgers. I even like the tofu. Fancy that!
  • claresta23
    claresta23 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    hi may sleevers.

Finally had my post-op appt, almost 4 wks out from my surgery. I'm down 24 pounds. I'm not really disappointed, but I hoped for more. Everybody says these first months are most important, the time we lose the fastest, etc and I'm really worried the loss is going to slow down precipitously. One of my incisions has not healed well, so the nurse gave some help and bandaging to help it along. my BP was 89/56. I've been off the BP meds since about a week after surgery. My back was giving me somuch trouble yesterday, my daughter had to take me to the appointment and I was worried the whole time it would spasm. The nurse said I can take tylenol, and gave me more liquid lortab. I haven't had an aspirin or NSAID in months because I broke my foot last fall and NSAIDs interfere with bone healing. Even so, I'm getting a little depressed that my back is giving so much trouble. The nurse agreed to let me start in-home physical therapy again, so I'm happy about that. I'm afraid my back muscles are going to weaken too much just sitting around, but walking and standing are difficult because of the back and I'm worried what exercises I can do that won't strain my abdomen.

Okay, that's my cranky complaint for the week, I think. In general, I'm fine and discovring new foods like veggie burgers and tofu since I can't stomach chicken or anything other than a poached egg. I really like the veggie burgers. I even like the tofu. Fancy that!

I haven't had my surgery yet but from what I hear from those that have, this is apart of the journey! High's and Low's but all in all SUCESS! Just know that you are on your way to a Healthier and Better YOU!
  • Ujj7
    Ujj7 Posts: 51
    Options
    I had my sleeve may 29th. I am now on full liquids, mostly doing shakes and soups with unflavored protein powder. I have tried trader joe's tomato and roasted peper, corn and roasted pepper, and my fav latin black bean. I can get in about 1/2 to 3/4 cup and mix in the organic Source whey protein powder 20 gm (2 scoops). My shakes are the source organic and the fit frappe 1/2 and 1/2. I haven't had any weight loss in week two :(. but my clothes size 16 are fitting looser. My knee hasn't been hurting after walking too.
    I started work monday and am sooo tired in the afternoons. I also had my first post op visit and labs, and everything looked ok.