Bulletproof coffee

Options
First, I would like to say that this is not for everyone. If you find yourself in a similar situation, or can squeeze in the extra fat, then this might be good.

They are calling coffee, mixed with butter and coconut oil "bulletproof." Now some of you may call it a heart attack in a cup, so try this at your own risk. I am eating a low carb lifestyle and had been having trouble getting enough fat, until I found this. The combination of ingredients provides nearly 36g of fat and 340 calories. I am currently on day three of using this.

There have been a ton of both positive and negative reviews of the bulletproof coffee. The fat makes one feel full, and for a good amount of time (many claim all morning). I wait about two hours to eat my breakfast after this coffee, and at that point I am still full (but I know I need to eat). However, some people are using this as a bulletproof diet, which obviously would not be healthy. Others claim weight loss just by adding this into their diet.

The recipe generally calls for (copy/paste from link below):

12 oz very high quality organic coffee ... make sure the beans are mold free
2 tbsp grass fed, unsalted butter
1 tbsp coconut oil or MCT
(combine with blender, I use my Nutribullet)

This guy suggests putting 1tbsp of unsweetened cocoa.. I tried that on day 1 and it was TERRIBLE, even after I mixed in two packets of stevia. I do not use high quality coffee, unless you consider Maxwell expensive, nor do I use grass fed butter.

My energy levels in the morning have become insane. I am a bit too caffeine tolerant. There have been times when I drink as much as 8 cups of coffee (in two big glasses of course) in the morning, or a few energy drinks, and this gives me a much better boost. I was looking forward to getting up this morning just so I could have another cup (I wanted to make one around dinner time yesterday, but didn't think it wise).

There is also a brand of coffee that is named Bulletproof, but you do not need to use that.

This forum post received over 250 replies, most of them positive, about BPC. I first learned about it here.
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/862742-bulletproof-coffee

Replies

• jolene_CO
    jolene_CO Posts: 48
    Options
    I'm giving this a try this afternoon. I'm....wary of the flavor I'm going to encounter, but excited to give it a go.
  • praevalere
    praevalere Posts: 24
    Options
    How was it?
  • jolene_CO
    jolene_CO Posts: 48
    Options
    Well...a couple of things. It is a STOUT hot beverage, and when it's 75-degrees out, it's a bit too much for me. However, as I'm contemplating coming in from a long winter run (or, you know, just sitting by the fire on a Sunday in January), this beverage will be perfect. I can see enjoying this in the cold months as a breakfast option.

Today (when it's almost 80 degrees and I'm slightly feverish), I blended with a cup of ice and a sprinkle of cinnamon and I essentially have a coffee shake. It's divine.

I cannot imagine adding cocoa powder to this beverage would yield a good result - that would being a very, very bitter beverage. I'm glad I gave this a go, as it is NOT what I expected and it will be a good option moving forward.

Slightly related, I find that a higher fat diet makes my brain work faster and more efficiently. I'm a data analyst, it's a bit important that my brain function optimally. I'm also a writer, so the ability to expand with creativity is essential. This beverage is caffeine and fat. I'm loving what this does for my ability to work, both professionally and recreationally. A fantastic find.
  • praevalere
    praevalere Posts: 24
    Options
    Those changes sound delicious. I am going to have to give that a try tomorrow.

Anybody else give this a try yet or thinking about it?