What are people making for Shavuot?

Rena42
Rena42 Posts: 66 Member
Shavuot is only a couple of days away (but who's counting ;-) ) What do people plan on making? I'm starting to freak out a bit over making a menu that won't kill my calorie count.

Replies

• orchi51126
    orchi51126 Posts: 12 Member
    When it comes to holidays I go ahead and splurge if it is called for. I can always throw in extra exercise to balance the calories.
  • paprikas
    paprikas Posts: 118 Member
    Oh yes it's coming nearer and nearer and I don't know about you but I haven't recovered from Pesach yet. How are we going to do this people???
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    I haven't lost my Pesach weight either. :(
  • Amy3935
    Amy3935 Posts: 94 Member
    Hey guys, just joined the group! I'm pretty nervous about Shavuot because cheesecake is definitely a MAJOR weakness of mine. I don't want to skip it entirely but not sure what I'd do with a whole one around....
  • NewSavta
    NewSavta Posts: 19 Member
    I've been on MFP for a while but just found this group.
    Ah yes, Shavuot...My 3 sons each asked that I make them a cheesecake to take back to their hesder yeshivot for Shavuot. I'll need to clamp my jaws shut to avoid licking the bowl! :grumble:
    For the home, however, I think that I'll make individual cakes - using cupcake tins. it will be more work, but portion controlled & I will freeze it all.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    I've not recovered from my Purim to Pesach binge fest.

As long as Shavuot is just a one or two day binge, then I'm ok with that. I mean, I'll try to watch myself, and not lose my mind, but I'm going to eat cheesecake. It's possibly thee best food on earth.

I think we'll just make very little other food that day. Some challah and fish and salad. And forget the meat and pareve cheesecakes. Not.worth.it.

Now I just need a recipe. Off to google.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member

For the home, however, I think that I'll make individual cakes - using cupcake tins. it will be more work, but portion controlled & I will freeze it all.

I like the idea of individual cupcake tins. Much easier to calculate the exact calorie count. I hope my wife will go for that. (or maybe I can guilt my mother into it :wink: )
  • Amy3935
    I've made awesome mini cheesecakes with an Oreo-cookie base, recipe here:

http://www.thejewishweek.com/features/nosh-pit/mini-oreo-cheesecakes

Not diet food by any stretch of the imagination, but still a bit of portion control. I've also had pretty good success with swapping out 1/3 of the cream cheese called for in a recipe with fat-free greek yogurt. It's lighter and airier but just as delicious:

http://www.bakingandmistaking.com/2011/06/lime-strawberry-swirl-cheesecake.html
  • chani8
    This recipe looks lower cal than most:

http://jellomoldmistress.com/2012/09/25/strawberry-cheesecake/

I'll probably skip the crust and make it with just goat yogurt, gelatin, vanilla, and frozen cherries.

Thanks Amy for the yogurt idea.
  • MostlyWater
    My husband will eat in shul and my kids don't decide what they want to do until the last minute, so I am going to just buy myself a Greek Yogurt Cheese Snack and pour caramel sauce over it, which is what I eat every single Shabbos morning anyway. I will also stuff big strawberries with lowfat ricotta cheese and orange zest.

As far as the rest of the meals, it's too late at night for me to eat so we probably won't be eating out at all. Which means people eating at all hours, and taking the food they want.

I'll make plain baked gefilte fish. I'll defrost cranberry fruit sauce from the winter time.

I'll make a few nice sides things like tri-colored pasta salad, sweet potato coconut pudding, baked pineapple, and possibly individual Broccoli kugels. Things that we don't eat usually. Remember that Shabbos comes a day later and there is no way I can do everything on Friday again!

For mains, I'm planning: Cold cut quiche, a coke meat or brisket, and possibly baked chicken.

I'm not up to dessert yet but I'm thinking baked apples? If it's not too hot.
  • chani8
    Just peeked at a Shavuos thread on imamother and saw their lavish menu plans and thought to myself, how are they going to eat all that food? Then of course I corrected myself with, 'they're not eating it all.' But gee, if the food is there, I would eat it, a lot of it.

DH came away from Shabbat feeling sick, and I know it's because of too many carbs for him. I've got to cut carbs out of the menu. No more kugels, for his sake. So this is going to affect my menu plans from now on, and especially for Shavuos. Although it's fairly easy to go low carb for Shavuos. Just skip the crust on the cheese cake.

Anyone else with special dietary needs for shavuos? We're also going to go sugar free or at least, very low sugar. Sometimes just a teaspoon of sugar can make a no-sugar recipe awesome.
  • Michal833
    Michal833 Posts: 90 Member
    Greek Yogurt Cheese Snack sounds interesting and yummy. What brand?

Truth is, my favorite flavor of Greek Yogurt is lime. It's so yummy it's almost as good as cheesecake. If it was just me, I would skip the cheesecake, but I have a family who likes it, so of course once it is there in front of me, I'll have some.
  • NewSavta
    Special dietary needs? I'm sensitive to lactose (not full-blown intolerance) - not fun on Shavuot! I can tolerate goat milk products, but not sure how to make that work for cheesecake. Just as well, I guess.
    We'll probably have fish, salads & a kugel. The killer is homemade challah - yum!
  • NewSavta
    What is Greek yogurt called in Israel? Anyone know?
  • MostlyWater
    The cheese snack that I pour the caramel sauce on is a Mehadrin product, in a box.
  • Amy3935
    Any Greek yogurt I've seen in Israel has actually said Greek on it in English, but if not it will probably be called יוגורט יווני
    Example: (sorry I can't seem to make this smaller, anyone?)

028692.jpg
    What is Greek yogurt called in Israel? Anyone know?
  • NewSavta
    Thanks.
  • David_273
    David_273 Posts: 42 Member
    Welcome to our kosher group, New Savta.

Have a teaspoon of clear chicken soup before you start to make the cheese cakes and you will not be able to lick your fingers or the bowl.
  • NewSavta
    :laugh:
  • Amy3935
    Love this. Just had this conversation with a friend today, how smokers can go 25 hours on Shabbat without smoking, but not even 2 hours during the week, and how I can go 6 hours without snacking on anything dairy, but if I'm not meat that cheesecake is in serious danger. I don't eat meat very often but this idea has some appeal!
    Welcome to our kosher group, New Savta.

Have a teaspoon of clear chicken soup before you start to make the cheese cakes and you will not be able to lick your fingers or the bowl.