How do you know

Options
bikermike5094
bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
Read in another post that you should stop when your full after vsg? How do you know when your full so you dont get the foamies? Is it a physical feeling or is it just because you measure?

Replies

• dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Mike, it seems to show differently from person to person. Some hiccup, some belch. for me, it is just a feeling and if I take "just one more bite" I go from full to overfull and just don't feel well. As you go through this, you will develop an eye for how much you should take. If you allow yourself to get too hungry, that eye can overfill your plate.

Chewing thoroughly, taking your time eating, and listening to your body, you will tell.
  • JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I never get hungry, just know I have to eat as I get a weak feeling. Always eat slow no matter what! I can feel my stomach gurgle a bit. when you get the first feeling of full, which doesn't take much, push your plate away! Do not nibble on it, you are done! You don't feel Thanksgiving full, you are just full! If I eat one bite past that feeling then I get pain! Not a severe pain, just a full feeling pain! You will be able to tell! And don't fix a lot of food for yourself, 1egg can fill you up! Although I have seen posts from people that can eat more.
  • shoopfam5
    shoopfam5 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yeah just make sure u eat slow and u will know when u r full.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    1st 2 weeks just make a 1/3 cup of food per meal and take 30 min to eat it. 3 -4wks make half cup of food. 5weeks forward make 3/4 cup of food. 3/4 to 1 cup is pretty much the max you are supposed to take in per meal 70% protein regardless of what you can fit. Train your self not to drink as your meat should be wet anyway. Stick to the 30 min mealtime or you could slip into grazing for hours and completely eat around the sleeve procedure. When I finish my meat I really only have 4 more bites of food.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I measure and that helps a lot! I also have to eat somewhat slowly--- not really slow compared to some other sleevers, but certainly slower than I used to. Unlike others, I DO experience hunger, but it is not that same "OMG I am going to chew my arm off if I do not eat NOW" kind of feeling. It is more like feeling "empty" and increasingly uncomfortable if I do not eat.

Some fun stuff..... when I am really hungry, but am busy or traveling, I can just eat a piece of string cheese or a slice of deli meat and I am fine for another few hours. :) Also, food does not have the same "pull" it used to. For example, when I go to Starbucks, the pastry case has no power-- I just do not want it. Don't get me wrong, the food looks good... but then I think about how it would feel to eat it and I am like "no, thanks". My sleeve gives me just that little bit of leverage I need to say no. Last-- every once in awhile I really want something sweet-- a cookie or something... I had 3 girl scout cookies last night. 3 little shortbread cookies. In the past, I would have eaten the whole sleeve. Now I can stop after a few.... or I can skip them altogether and have a cup of tea. :)

I do not see the sleeve as a "miracle cure", but it does give me the leverage I need to make better choices more often than not. I still do not always eat as great as I could, but I eat better than I would without being sleeved.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    The most reliable method for me is to weigh\measure. If I'm out, I do the best I can. Slowing it down particularly after the first couple of bites is insurance that I don't over do it. Overdoing it is uncomfortable and not a place worth going.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    @Bikermike; once you get the hang of it and start weighing/measuring it gets real easy but the "full" feeling really is different for everyone. At some point early on you will get the "overfull" feeling and maybe the "hicc-a-burps" or like in my case, project that last piece of bananna out at sixty MPH. At that point the memory is seared in and you learn. Just once piece of flying bananna did it for me.
  • JxAAA
    JxAAA Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I think it's a good idea to get in the habit of measuring. As you progress you will be able to consume more and more, developing good habits early on should hopefully help you maintain your weight loss during maintenance. Eat till your satisfied, instead of eating till your full.
  • Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    The first few weeks I wasn't even hungry at all and had to force myself to get through the various initial stages of food. My surgeon has five separate stages working up from liquids - foods you'll eat the rest of your life and each lasts about two weeks. I actually got a feeling like filling a gas tank (and you will have gas, haha) and there is a shut-off valve that makes you feel if you even eat one more bite it will overflow (nausea and/or vomit), so you stop. You can always change up the texture by freezing your smoothies, protein drinks, yogurt, etc. they take longer to eat/drink and are very refreshing.

My biggest adjustment was breaking the lifetime habit of drinking with meals. You'll hear your stomach rumbling/making noises, feel like a bubble in your chest (ate too much/too fast usually the culprit), hiccups and burping. It wasn't at all painful for me with the exception of the bubble which was a little uncomfortable, but I just rubbed my sternum and it helped.

As others have said, measure, always have protein in first, get your water in, walk, take any vitamins or supplements the Dr. suggested and you'll know. Logging into MFP has been a lifesaver for me - both food and exercise. The friends I have in the group have also played a very large role in providing experiences, advice and encouragement.. Good luck on this journey.
  • AdrenilineDad
    Options
    Mike, all good advice above....especially the weighing and eating slow. Ive screwed that up a couple of times this week on mushy mechanical food....very unenjoyable! I am going to bring a food scale up to work with me for sure next time.