Whovian Weekly Watch Along Week 2: The Beast Below

Options
Sorry Ben but I figured i'd go ahead & set this up, I hope you don't mind :flowerforyou: I woke up this morning with this already on my dvr & waiting!

So as before, everyone post your favorite scenes and/or quotes, random moments/thoughts from the episode or anything else you like concerning this episode! Enjoy all my wonderful Whovians!!! :love:

bb210149_doctor_who.jpg

the-beast-below-3.gif

Replies

• TheDoctorDonna10
    Options
    Amy Pond: You look human.
    The Doctor: No, you look Timelord. We came first.
  • seismicmuffin
    seismicmuffin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    "It's always a big day tomorrow. We've got a time machine. I skip the little ones."

Love how excited The Doctor is to have landed on a tongue, lol. Also "Help us Doctor, you're our only hope" Because: Star Wars :P
  • JamieD328
    JamieD328 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m7pwuhhXwC1rqiwr9o1_500.jpg

This episode does a great job of developing Amy's character, showing her intelligence and her problem solving.

Some favorite quotes:

"Scotland's got to be here somewhere."
    "They took their own ship."
    "Good for them. Nothing changes."

On getting married: "A long time ago, tomorrow morning."
  • adlace
    adlace Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Gotta love any beast called a Star Whale.

Dig the nods to other sci-fi. Amy getting her adventure legs in her pajamas, the "only hope" reference and ending up in a garbage pit. Landing on a big tongue is hilarious. Don't know which is more fun to the Doctor, being on a big tongue or telling his noob companion where they are and watching her freak out.

The creepy bits are fun too-- the smilers and the winders (that they wear big wind up keys as pendants of office is the best). That kind of dark carnival stuff always gives me the creeps. I have only been to the House on the Rock once and that was like twenty some years ago but it still sticks in my head as an all time creep out. .

I like how the whole episode is set up. It's just a neat and wrapped up story-- from the so called rules that the Doctor tells Amy, to the point where he is totally ticked that she broke the only real rule of not giving the Doctor the information he needs.

Then she shows her true companion ability by understanding what needs to happen and understanding the Doctor. .

It was just a Whovian good time.
  • benaddict
    benaddict Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Sorry Ben but I figured i'd go ahead & set this up, I hope you don't mind :flowerforyou: I woke up this morning with this already on my dvr & waiting!

No worries! I was super busy yesterday and didn't have a chance to post it anyway. Next week I'll be quicker about it. :D
  • Laerai
    Laerai Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I get the episode titles confused and initially thought this was the episode with the crab beasts in the airlocked highway that everyone's been in for 20 years.
  • Smurfette4eva
    Smurfette4eva Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    2l4d9f.gif

Yay! I get to watch it earlier than last week.

Geronimo!
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a fan of this episode. I'm not sure how much of it is because I don't really enjoy Amy without Rory. I feel like Amy and the Doctor need to be tempered by Rory's caution. I like how Amy compares the Doctor to the Star Whale, but it felt too contrived. Also, how on earth do those glasses of water help the Queen?
  • benaddict
    benaddict Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I really liked this episode, although I'll agree that the water thing threw me off... if they're on the back of a giant whale, surely the water would be moving as much as (or even more than) if they had actual engines?? Also, I liked when Amy said the "very old, very kind, and the very last of its kind" line while they were in the "engine room" but when she repeated it to him later when they were looking out at the stars it felt like, okay, yes, we got the correlation the first time, you don't have to spell it out.

Things I liked:
    The creepiness factor! I like to be a little bit scared by TV shows (hence my affinity for Supernatural), and the Smilers and Winders were freaky! Especially when the Smilers get angry... yikes!

Amy running from her future. I have to admit I've felt that way at times, like, if I'm married and working and all that, the adventure is kinda gone. Spoilers if you haven't seen all of Amy's arc (skip to the next paragraph): I like that she decides being with Rory is enough of an adventure for her, because I've come to the same conclusion about my husband, but I have had my moments of wishing for more excitement and I like that we see that in her.

The star whale! I liked that it was so kind and wanted to help children, although after being tortured so long I dunno how plausible that is.

The Doctor's lines. "You look Time Lord; we came first." "Nobody HUMAN has anything to say to me today!" "It's always a big day tomorrow. I've got a time machine. I skip the little ones."

The school scene at the beginning. As a teacher, I feel like this is a creepy take on where education will be in the future. With the huge push toward using technology as a means of teaching and assessing students, it could just be a matter of time before the instructors will be automated. *shudder*

After watching this episode, my husband insisted on watching the next one (with the Daleks and Winston Churchill). He's becoming a Whovian! Yay!